Comparing models between brands

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

AlexW

Comparing models between brands

#1 Post by AlexW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello,

We're just starting to look at tritoons coming from a bowrider. We're pretty confident we want 22-25' and 150HP+ outboard. I've kind of setttled on Bennington, Manitou, Premier, and Harris given the relatively local dealers and reputation on each. Is there a good comparison somewhere that shows what models from each company matches up against a model from another company?

We went to a Manitou dealer Saturday and a Bennington dealer Sunday and without them sitting next to each other at a boat show to compare at the same time (and chasing around a 2 year old while trying to look), I kind of have a hard time making the cross between them. We're looking at the "value" spec type of models, like the S-series Bennington but may move towards the G-series type of model.

Thanks in advance for any help! And by the way......you've been a wealth of knowledge already (I've been lurking and searching old posts for a couple weeks)

cwag911

Re: Comparing models between brands

#2 Post by cwag911 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm

My vote goes to Bennington. Their fit and finish is great and they have a 7yr bow to stern warranty.
Carl & Suzi
07 Bennington 2275rl triton w/ strakes
150 Honda 15x15p Enertia prop
Power assisted steering
Denver, NC Lake Norman
Pleiku, Vietnam 1971
Agent Orange survivor (so far)

jafo9

#3 Post by jafo9 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

unfortunately there isn't really a great way to compare boats other than try them out. if you stay with a "top" brand you'll be fine. really, since you are looking at value lines, that also opens up a lot of mid level manufactures as well. pontoons are pretty simple designs and unlike a 40' off shore poker run boat there aren't many complicated parts. i think one of the biggest questions is what do you want to do with the boat? are you looking to fish? ski? board? tube? putt around? how many people do you plan to carry and what kind of seating arrangement do you want them in?

for my family, the 2 most important priorities were 1) performance and 2)maximizing seating capacity. your priorities may be different, but it would be helpful to figure them out in advance. i've noticed at the boat shows that the pontoons have evolved quite a bit even since i bought my most recent toon a few years ago. the seating configurations are endless. my personal preference is long continuous sofas with a bow filler and a sun pad in the rear, but clearly there are lots of other choices. when i look at a new pontoon, i'm not so much looking at the brand, but rather would the seating and performance work for me.

if i were buying new, the one thing i would insist on after i had zoomed in on #'s 1 & 2 would be a double bimini. i have found on all of the boats we've owned, that after a while out in the sun, everyone seems to gravitate towards the shade. that's the only thing i would add to my current 'toon. fwiw, we have a fridge on ours. initially, i was going to remove it to gain more space. now, i can't imagine a pontoon without one.

good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:52 pm

With the Bennington and the Manitou models, the quality difference is mainly in the seating, not in the toons or quality of construction.

I'm running a 20 month old Bennington 24SSLX with the rear facing 48" lounger, Express Tubes and Yamaha F150 4 stroke. I'm getting 41 mph @ 6100 rpm's with a Yamaha 15 pitch Reliance propeller.

My S model is Bennington's budget model, but it's plenty nice for me. If I was getting one today, I'd probably get the SPS hull instead of the Express Tube. They're virtually the same in performance, but the Express Tubes are $1200 less. My boat's fully optioned, and I certainly suggest getting the extended aft deck. Most S models are ordered with a G series driver's seat, and I do like the GPS speedometer on boats that'll run over 25 mph.

I too looked at the Manitou VP hulled tritoons with a ETEC 150 HO engine. Their base Aurora model was about the same money as my Bennie, but the seating was basic. I much more preferred their Aurora model, which was priced like the Bennie G models. The dealer quietly told me at Fall ordering, they got some freebies, but he was still talking $39K on the Aurora not including the galvanized trailer with surge disc brakes.

My wife went with me to the boat show. It didn't take 5 minutes for her to make my decision over all other brands. And she didn't care that Bennington's got the longest warranty in the business, the highest resale value and who's sales are increasing faster than any other brand. And other than SunTracker, Bennington has the best dealer base out there--more dealers to compete for my business.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 am

We run a smaller 20 foot S series Bennington.. it only has a 75 hp yamaha on the back... we went that route when we ordered our boat because fishing is what we use it for 95% of the time.... but even at that, our little Benny is a well constructed toon.. Have had it for 3 years now and no issues to speak of.... Obviously I'm a little biased towards bennington but honestly, I think any of those brands you mentioned would be wonderful boats... just find the one that appeals to you the most.. happy boat hunting.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

AlexW

#6 Post by AlexW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 am

Bamaman wrote: If I was getting one today, I'd probably get the SPS hull instead of the Express Tube. They're virtually the same in performance, but the Express Tubes are $1200 less.
Hi Bamaman - your comment confuses me. Did you mean to say you would get the Express Tube instead of the SPS hull? When I've been building them on the S-series, the Express is ~$1900 and the SPS is ~$3400 or ~$4600 depending on what motor rating you're going for.

Sounds like you have a great boat - we've been looking at that floor plan, the SCWX, and SSRX.

Thanks all for your help!

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:40 am

There's little difference in the speeds or performance of the Express Tube or the full length SRS hull. I would now pay the $1200 MSRP difference and go with the SRS, as I assume it comes with a larger fuel tank. The Express Tube just loses a little rear flotation when the boat's sitting dead in the water, but that's really no big deal.

And the new SRRX floorplan is nice, but I do prefer the L shaped seat to the left of the driver's seat with my SSLX.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Drago

#8 Post by Drago » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:35 am

Alex, Welcome to the finest bunch of pontooners on the planet. Your choices - Bennington, Premier, Harris, & Manitou - are great no matter which you choose. Try to pick a dealer that is great to work with and seems to have a good following where you live.

One thing, on Jafo's comment about the double bimini. We have a single 11' over the helm back to the sundeck. Almost cannot get anyone to sit back with me under it. I have to fight to get the crowd off the front half of the boat. They're all big on sun worship! Since I generally like the shade in the hot summer, ours is most often up so the back half stays shady.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

tcpip95

#9 Post by tcpip95 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am

Alex,

What type of water will you be using the boat? Saltwater or freshwater?
Will you be using it on a lake or river, or will you be using it in an environment with waves and tides?
Will you be doing your own maintenance or will your dealer be doing the service?
Will it be in the water, or on a lift or trailered?

I own a Bennington 24SSL. Here's my experience:

I use it in saltwater, in the Gulf of Mexico. Make sure everything is stainless steel and plenty of zincs.
I went with the rough water package, as well as wave shield (under-skinning) of the bottom. Definitely smooths the ride out in rough water.
In my situation, the tritoon is the way to go, due to the waves, etc. The waves are rougher on the boat than a lake or river.
Mine is kept in the marina, in the water so it's bottom-painted. I also had the toons treated with Sharkhide above the bottom-paint. Bottom-paint gets re-done about once per year or so.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System

zoom650

#10 Post by zoom650 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm

We just went though the same thing, similar size, serious contenders being Crest, Bennington, Premier, and Harris. We thought we liked Crest the best until we got to know the sales guy and dealer. Dumb asses lost a sales and pissed me off in the process.

The 23' Bennington I tested had an ESP hull, Merc 150, and assisted power steering. Driving on a smooth lake with no wind, I was amazed at how smoothly she handled. Turning was a dream. Felt like a sports car. Quiet 4-stroke.

We drove the Harris. PIII hull, Verado 150, digital throttle, power assisted steering. Moderate chop, winds building. Since the weather had picked up, I can't compare the ride to the Bennie except to say, the Harris performed smartly. The Verado 150 had more low end torque and was a bit louder with the supercharger. Feel of the throttle and steering were excellent.

So, I bought the Harris. Probably boiled down to more Harris dealers in the areas I'll frequent. The fit and finish on both boats seemed so close, I felt I was splitting hairs. The wife also gave the nod to the Harris and we all know how important that is!

Mine will get salt use, so among the extra goodies, I did add the double bimini for hot days in the Gulf, along with 4 extra anodes and heavy water package (reinforces the front gate). Full underskin was standard.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Rascal

#11 Post by Rascal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 pm

tcpip95 wrote:Alex,

What type of water will you be using the boat? Saltwater or freshwater?
Will you be using it on a lake or river, or will you be using it in an environment with waves and tides?
Will you be doing your own maintenance or will your dealer be doing the service?
Will it be in the water, or on a lift or trailered?

I own a Bennington 24SSL. Here's my experience:

I use it in saltwater, in the Gulf of Mexico. Make sure everything is stainless steel and plenty of zincs.
I went with the rough water package, as well as wave shield (under-skinning) of the bottom. Definitely smooths the ride out in rough water.
In my situation, the tritoon is the way to go, due to the waves, etc. The waves are rougher on the boat than a lake or river.
Mine is kept in the marina, in the water so it's bottom-painted. I also had the toons treated with Sharkhide above the bottom-paint. Bottom-paint gets re-done about once per year or so.

Salt water here too... I'm in the same area, but with a Premier which compares to Benny's plush seating G & R series. I rack store. I do not like paint on my toons or the hot FL sun beating down on her. I leave my rods/reels and lots of other gear stored on her. No theft problem when you your stored high & dry up twenty feet in the air. My insurance rate dropped when I moved to a cat 4 hurricane rack storage building. I do miss being able to walk down to the dock like I was able to do back in Michigan. But I don't miss the bird shit on the cover and having to take it off and back on when leaving, or the spiders! I miss being able to park the car right in front of the boat well.

I only have double toons. But no problem, so far. I run 5/10 miles out in the Gulf with no problems but only at 26/28 mph.. I have a day enclosure for summer rain protection and a 10" ipad connected to weather radar to watch for incoming storms. also a HD Loan Star anchor winch. No pulling an anchor for this old man. If I had to do it over... I would order triple toons & a bigger motor though. If you got it spend it. Your kids will only fight over it ($$).

Kind regards,

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather