Zebra Mussels?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: Zebra Mussels?

#16 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:09 pm

katieclooney wrote:I had them clog up my intake last year. So now I have to shell out the money to have them all cleaned out :censored
More details please?

Was your boat slipped or trailered?

Engine left down or tilted up?
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

katieclooney

#17 Post by katieclooney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Mine was in a slip all summer with the engine in the water.

NonHyphenAmerican

#18 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks.

Sounds as if leaving the motor up is one way of minimizing the zebra mussel issue.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

katieclooney

#19 Post by katieclooney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 pm

true but it then exposes the prop to being stolen.
We had a rash of that a few years back, ppl would troll marinas and look for the engines tilted up and take the props

blackberg

#20 Post by blackberg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:To bad there not good enough for fish to eat

red ears love them, I forget which lake on the Colorado it is,
but it has produced record setting RedEars the last couple of years.

Probably BoatCop knows.

out here in Big Bear Lake, they pressure spray down your boat if they think you have it.

other local lakes will tag your boat for quarantine if your boat is not dry on the way in, to prevent them from coming into the lake

-bb

Rascal

#21 Post by Rascal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:36 pm

katieclooney wrote:true but it then exposes the prop to being stolen.
We had a rash of that a few years back, ppl would troll marinas and look for the engines tilted up and take the props
They make & sell "Prop locks" for about $50. Amazon is your friend. They stop crooks. Too much work. The crooks will pass the boat with the lock, looking for the easy "no lock" job. Get a lock and raise the motor. Much cheaper than paying to have the mussels cleaned out..

Kind regards,

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

katieclooney

#22 Post by katieclooney » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Rascal wrote:
katieclooney wrote:true but it then exposes the prop to being stolen.
They make & sell "Prop locks" for about $50. Amazon is your friend. They stop crooks. Too much work. The crooks will pass the boat with the lock, looking for the easy "no lock" job. Get a lock and raise the motor. Much cheaper than paying to have the mussels cleaned out..

Kind regards,

Rascal

Yea but by us, the northern lakes have the mussels and the southern lakes don't. my boat now sits on a southern lake now. So I wont have to deal with them....... hopefully lol.

Not to mention I don't have power tilt or a backdoor on my toon. So it would be a pain in the arse to deal with .

BobG

#23 Post by BobG » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:08 am

katieclooney wrote:Yea but by us, the northern lakes have the mussels and the southern lakes don't. my boat now sits on a southern lake now. So I wont have to deal with them....... hopefully lol.
Just a matter of time. Bank on it. Too many people are working really hard to avoid having to decontaminate their boats, and they'll sneak around any systems in place. We have super strict inspection and decontamination setups at every major lake in Colorado, and the damned mussels are still spreading anyway.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

blackberg

#24 Post by blackberg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:14 am

BobG wrote:
katieclooney wrote:Yea but by us, the northern lakes have the mussels and the southern lakes don't. my boat now sits on a southern lake now. So I wont have to deal with them....... hopefully lol.
Just a matter of time. Bank on it. Too many people are working really hard to avoid having to decontaminate their boats, and they'll sneak around any systems in place. We have super strict inspection and decontamination setups at every major lake in Colorado, and the damned mussels are still spreading anyway.

well boats are not the things that go in and out of the different bodies of water...

the most obvious ones are birds, ducks and the other winged critters that can go from one to another.

-bb

GXPWeasel

#25 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 am

blackberg wrote: well boats are not the things that go in and out of the different bodies of water...

the most obvious ones are birds, ducks and the other winged critters that can go from one to another.

-bb

Mine does.... I frequent 2-3 different lake during the summer, depending on wind, and road constructin. However, Rarely is it different lakes within the same week.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

curtiscapk

#26 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 am

GREG! where you been man!!!! Glad you are back! How is the youngin?? Sorry to hijack :?
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

justfishing

#27 Post by justfishing » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:To bad there not good enough for fish to eat
Sunfish like them

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fie ... ht-arizona

justfishing

#28 Post by justfishing » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:50 pm

BobG wrote:
How do you stop the waterfowl and other wildlife from spreading them. If there can attach to a boat they can attach to feathers and fur.

yellowk9

#29 Post by yellowk9 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am

NonHyphenAmerican wrote:Evidently, Catfish and some ducks do eat Zebra Mussels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfMYbORTWo

At El Dorado Reservoir where my toon will be, they're getting some nice sized Blue Cats and there are always Channel Cats around here.

I wonder if that's having an effect, positive or negative on the Catfish Population.
A buddy of mine studied the foraging activities of Blue Catfish in the Arkansas River following the invasion of zebra mussels. They were more than happy to eat them, although they tended to switch to a mostly shad diet in the winter. Many times you'd clean a Blue Cat and their entire digestive tract would be full of shells. Their intestines looked like a pearl necklace made of zebra mussel shells. Their mouths and assholes would be bleeding and raw. He did some lab work and determined that they were receiving significantly less nutrition from the zebra mussels than other traditional prey items. Most of their mass is composed of shell material which is indigestible. I can't remember if they just ate more to make up the difference or if it was having a significant effect on growth rates and population.
2002 Sweetwater 20RE
2002 90 HP Suzuki 4-Stroke