Putting on the damn cover!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

beermunk

Putting on the damn cover!!

#1 Post by beermunk » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Alright I'm usually pretty good at figuring these sort of things out but I am having the damnest time figuring out the pontoon cover.

1) It has a flap in the actual cover that I can't figure out if that goes on the front or back.

2) On the side of the cover there are about 10 straps per side with plastic buckles on them that loop through nylon loops. Right now I have the straps buckled to the frame of the trailer but I don't think that's right.

3) Most frusterating however, is the metal pieces that I assume are supposed to hold up the middle of the cover on the boat. I have two metal pieces, one adjustable and one not. The larger adjustable piece has a flat plastic piece that is has four straps coming from it with more buckles. One of these traps is attached to the second metal piece. How in the HECK do all these pieces fit together?

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Putting on the damn cover!!

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 pm

That sounds nothing like my factory cover

I think you have a custom made cover for towing. With the buckles and straps on upright I would say they clip somewhere to keep uprights from being pushed down by wind when towing.
I made new uprights for my cover as the little poles put to much pressure on top in heavy rain and snow. I had tracker send me extensions because they didn't keep top tight enough. If you want them I will send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Here is my new ones. Notice the A frame one I made for the tanning pad part of cover. This puddles a lot.

The white thing hanging is a felt tube the old uprights fit into

Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

FloterBoter

#3 Post by FloterBoter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:14 pm

yup.

pontoon covers are a royal PIA.

i can trailer my boat more quickly than most guys can put on their cover in a slip.
then i tow it home and park it under a vinyl roof shelter that keeps the rain off.
it stays uncovered so we can clean it or work on it whenever we want,
and then tow it to whatever lake we feel like that day. works for me.

dahogman

#4 Post by dahogman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:41 am

I must have been one of the lucky ones. My buddy and I could put boat on trailer and I would stay on board. He would pull trailer out of water and I would start putting cover on. I could have cover on inside of 10 minutes and never get off boat to do it. With my friends help on the snaps it could be done in less than 5 minutes.
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax

Beamer

#5 Post by Beamer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

Mine doesn't sound anything like yours.
To take mine off, I undue all the snaps, fold both outsides into the middle, remove and lower the supports, roll it up from front to back. about 10 min.
To put back on, I roll it out back to front, snap the back on, then down one side, all from inside the boat. Then snap the other side from the dock, crawl in the front or rear door and insert and raise the supports. crawl out the front or rear, close the door and due up the final snaps and the attach the bungies at the front. About 15 min on my own, 1/2 that time if wifey helps, but not a big task on my own.
22' AquaPatio 90 4s Yamaha
Port Perry, Canada

WaltF

#6 Post by WaltF » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:48 am

Is it one of these cover support systems?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... 008&r=view

We have one and while it is a PITA, it does seem to work pretty good.
We didnt buy the factory cover when we got our toon, and at the time i didnt have the $1k scratch, so i bought a generic cover from Walmart for $200 and that support system from Overtons.

I did drop the bottom of the poles into cemented coffee containers like the above pics as the feet kept wanting to slide around on real windy days...

So far so good!
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

beermunk

#7 Post by beermunk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:31 am

Yeah that last system looks pretty close. I think I'm going to use some PVC and make up my own support system for the inside.