Silver wave or Aqua patio

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mrbigs3toon

Silver wave or Aqua patio

#1 Post by mrbigs3toon » Sun May 11, 2014 10:40 am

Looked at both this weekend. Silver wave 250 RL w 250 Yamaha and Aqua Patio w 200 Yamaha. The SW 25'6 the AP 24'3. They are both in our price range the AP has a few more options 27" tubes and under deck lighting etc. the SW had the most comfortable furniture and the bigger motor they both were priced with trailer.
Biggest question? Does anyone have experience with either? Quality, warranty, etc. it is a big purchase want to make the best decision. SW is new but is made in Oklahoma any help advice or past experience with either pontoons would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
2014 Silver Wave 25' 250 Island RL / 250 Suzuki
Lake Tenkiller, Oklahoma

Bamaman

Re: Silver wave or Aqua patio

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun May 11, 2014 10:56 am

I have seen both at boat shows, but neither has been memorable as a top brand. They've invested in the right powerplants, however.

While pontoons/tritoons are somewhat generic, there is a difference in the quality of welds, etc. And there is a difference in the quality of seating and the fencing. I still prefer brands like Bennington, Manitou, Cypress Cay, Harris, Premier, Tahoe and many others.

I'd just say get out there and look at all the really good boats--comparison shopping. I'd much better prefer one of the "budget" models of a top brand boat, as the running components are often exactly the same. And the quality dealers often sell the quality brands/models of boats. Price is not everything, as these boats will last 30 years with proper maintenance and care--if you keep them out of the weather.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

cwag911

#3 Post by cwag911 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 am

Yup. +1 what Bama said.
Carl & Suzi
07 Bennington 2275rl triton w/ strakes
150 Honda 15x15p Enertia prop
Power assisted steering
Denver, NC Lake Norman
Pleiku, Vietnam 1971
Agent Orange survivor (so far)

Hawk_308

#4 Post by Hawk_308 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:05 am

I cant help you but on a side note I cant help but to look how cheaply my 88 tracker is put together and see how solid it still is after 26 years of use where it spent most of its life on the water full time . I really cant help to wonder how over built are the new premium toons . Which the stress from the larger motors on the newer toons will I guess help weed out the weaker setups over time but who knows . Then if you look at boat owner ship most people do not own a boat over 10 years before they trade up or out so will they ever even get to know if their premium was worth it ?
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

Rascal

#5 Post by Rascal » Sun May 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Bamaman wrote:I have seen both at boat shows, but neither has been memorable as a top brand. They've invested in the right powerplants, however.

While pontoons/tritoons are somewhat generic, there is a difference in the quality of welds, etc. And there is a difference in the quality of seating and the fencing. I still prefer brands like Bennington, Manitou, Cypress Cay, Harris, Premier, Tahoe and many others.

I'd just say get out there and look at all the really good boats--comparison shopping. I'd much better prefer one of the "budget" models of a top brand boat, as the running components are often exactly the same. And the quality dealers often sell the quality brands/models of boats. Price is not everything, as these boats will last 30 years with proper maintenance and care--if you keep them out of the weather.

x2 for what he said, except for the power part. IMHO any of the newer four stroke engines now a days are very good. You might just pick one that has an appealing in date with the 21st century color? :lol3

As always..... IMHO,

Rascal.
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

Rascal

#6 Post by Rascal » Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Hawk_308 wrote:I cant help you but on a side note I cant help but to look how cheaply my 88 tracker is put together and see how solid it still is after 26 years of use where it spent most of its life on the water full time . I really cant help to wonder how over built are the new premium toons . Which the stress from the larger motors on the newer toons will I guess help weed out the weaker setups over time but who knows . Then if you look at boat owner ship most people do not own a boat over 10 years before they trade up or out so will they ever even get to know if their premium was worth it ?

This is not a rehearsal....Its life. And IMHO, life is to short to go through without going "first class". IF you can afford it. If someone asks my opinion of what to buy in a car, house, watch, boat or whatever. I will give my honest thoughts... buy high quality, if you can.

I like nice things and have worked hard to be able to afford them. I believe, Most of the world would rather drive a Lexus than a low price point vehicle. One of the reasons that used Lexus vehicles are in such high demand and used Bennington pontoon boats also. In most cases... you do get what you pay for. Or people would not vote (pay) for a Premium priced Bennington, Premier, Harris Manitou and others by buying them. Try to find one of these brands on the used market lately?

If these were not better constructed boats with premium materials and better resale and worth their asking price. The public would not buy them. They would buy low price point boats instead. I know that there are some people that are predisposed to be "frugal" and do so. IMHO, friends do not let friends buy low "price point" boats. I would recommend to them....Its much better to purchase a slightly used older high quality boat.

As always.... IMHO.

Rascal

Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Sun May 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Rascal: You're right about premium brands as good values. I'm about as frugal a person as there ever was. That's what allowed me to retire young and not suffer.

When it comes to automobiles, I carefully pick my brands--those with great reliability and high resale prices--as great values. I'm on my 3rd Lexus and second Honda, as both brands are ultra reliable and pull high resale. My tow truck is a 03 SuperDuty diesel with 115K miles--just broken in. In my last 550K miles on new cars, I've never had a warranty claim.

My toon is a Bennington, and I bought it for the ultimate reason--because my wife told me she wanted it. We just got the S model, but it's plenty luxurious enough for us. We're just hoping we'll live long enough to put 27 years usage on it--like we did on our 1985 Starcraft pontoon boat. Heck, we're just hopeful we can get down the hill to the boathouse for another 10 years.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

mrbigs3toon

#8 Post by mrbigs3toon » Sun May 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks,
Great input a lot to think about. Don't think I am done shopping just yet. Keep advice coming
2014 Silver Wave 25' 250 Island RL / 250 Suzuki
Lake Tenkiller, Oklahoma

Rascal

#9 Post by Rascal » Sun May 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Bamaman wrote:Rascal: You're right about premium brands as good values. I'm about as frugal a person as there ever was. That's what allowed me to retire young and not suffer.

When it comes to automobiles, I carefully pick my brands--those with great reliability and high resale prices--as great values. I'm on my 3rd Lexus and second Honda, as both brands are ultra reliable and pull high resale. My tow truck is a 03 SuperDuty diesel with 115K miles--just broken in. In my last 550K miles on new cars, I've never had a warranty claim.

My toon is a Bennington, and I bought it for the ultimate reason--because my wife told me she wanted it. We just got the S model, but it's plenty luxurious enough for us. We're just hoping we'll live long enough to put 27 years usage on it--like we did on our 1985 Starcraft pontoon boat. Heck, we're just hopeful we can get down the hill to the boathouse for another 10 years.
Great minds think alike..... I've got a Lexus 1999 RX 300 with 130K miles on her. I bought her new Dec 1998. My xmas present to me. I would like a newer RX, but can't justify spending the money while she is still running so damn good and doesn't seem to want me to sell her (good girl). I had a case of the "wants" for a new car and was going to buy a new one this year but I found a super steal on the net... a 2012 Premier high end Cast A Way model.

Original owner died after only 5 hours use on the boat. It sat in a dealers in door show room for 9 months before I bought it for only 22K. In like "brand new" condition with a trailer and has a lot of options. I've been told he paid over 40K for the package 9 months prior. Power steering, tow bar, front trolling Min Kota remote controlled trolling motor, etc, etc. I have her dry rack stored. I'm to old (72) and have a bad back.... to trailer.

I was wanting something with triple toons but couldn't get the only one Bennington dealer in my area to come down much over 15%. I'm spoiled, I know what they really cost the stealer. Through the years, several members of my family were boat dealers and one still is (pontoons). I've helped him "cook" the books at tax time. I know what the profit margin really is. You are pretty close to right regarding what you have posted on that subject, but a little low. If you saw, what I saw in the books, you would puke! (LOL).

Kind regards,

Rascal (Jerry)

Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for

Hawk_308

#10 Post by Hawk_308 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Honestly I dont care for lexus , infinty ect for the most part they are re-badged Toyotas , nissians ect with addons standard and some ascetic odds and ends . But I am a firm believer in cry once on most items so I get buying the higher tier of boats ,especially motors .My point is most people are not going to use one to the point of wearing it out , honestly more damage is done to a boat when not in use while setting than wear and tear minus from :drink4 . Ive noticed on my bass boats when I was fishing heavy I rarely had any trouble with them, but dont use it for a month or two and all sorts of gremlins started showing up . Im pretty sure the top tier boats will be notably nicer when you spend a good bit of time in them but the money difference could be the difference in going to the lake twice a week verses once a week or cruising one tank of gas vs two . When I asked my grandpa about buying my first bass boat I asked him what should I look at and he said affordable , he then went on about every dollar I spent on the boat was a dollar I wasnt spending on going fishing .He told me to go look at the used model of each brand and see how they held up especially the not so well taken cared of boats and thats what I did and it served me well .

Me and my wife have worked hard to be debit free , and with a son that has had three brain tumors and my wife having back surgery a few years ago we take our expenditures very seriously while tring to enjoy life as much as possible since we know tomorrow is guaranteed for any of us .We looked at pontoon boats for a couple years in the 30-45K range but after I sold my last bass boat we decided to take the money from that and put back into a cheap pontoon and take the money we saved for a new pontoon and use it to see the country and world via vacations.Plus me and my wife hate giving this worthless town we are in any tax money so its a win win. My 1000 buck pontoon is good enough to drag to the lake once or twice a week, It will take a little work and some more money Ill have a good boat for less than a new one would have cost me in 2 or 3 years in taxes alone .

So for the off topic spin
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

Rascal

#11 Post by Rascal » Sun May 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Hawk_308 wrote:Honestly I dont care for lexus , infinty ect for the most part they are re-badged Toyotas , nissians ect with addons standard and some ascetic odds and ends . But I am a firm believer in cry once on most items so I get buying the higher tier of boats ,especially motors .My point is most people are not going to use one to the point of wearing it out , honestly more damage is done to a boat when not in use while setting than wear and tear minus from :drink4 . Ive noticed on my bass boats when I was fishing heavy I rarely had any trouble with them, but dont use it for a month or two and all sorts of gremlins started showing up . Im pretty sure the top tier boats will be notably nicer when you spend a good bit of time in them but the money difference could be the difference in going to the lake twice a week verses once a week or cruising one tank of gas vs two . When I asked my grandpa about buying my first bass boat I asked him what should I look at and he said affordable , he then went on about every dollar I spent on the boat was a dollar I wasnt spending on going fishing .He told me to go look at the used model of each brand and see how they held up especially the not so well taken cared of boats and thats what I did and it served me well .

Me and my wife have worked hard to be debit free , and with a son that has had three brain tumors and my wife having back surgery a few years ago we take our expenditures very seriously while tring to enjoy life as much as possible since we know tomorrow is guaranteed for any of us .We looked at pontoon boats for a couple years in the 30-45K range but after I sold my last bass boat we decided to take the money from that and put back into a cheap pontoon and take the money we saved for a new pontoon and use it to see the country and world via vacations.Plus me and my wife hate giving this worthless town we are in any tax money so its a win win. My 1000 buck pontoon is good enough to drag to the lake once or twice a week, It will take a little work and some more money Ill have a good boat for less than a new one would have cost me in 2 or 3 years in taxes alone .

So for the off topic spin

Hawk,

I retired at 50. I am now 72. I boat three to four times a week. I make a phone call and they drop it in the salt, they take it out flush the engine and wash it when I get back. I get plenty of use to justify its cost. I love its large 11' big Bimini top and its one finger power steering. I push a button and the anchor drops in the water. I push another button and the anchor rolls back up out of the water. The large 10' ipad GPS screen shows me where to go and if any big storms are headed my way on the satellite weather screen. If they are, we put up the front/back and side curtains with isinglass to keep us dry. That's how I boat....

There is a (big) difference between a Toyota and a Lexus. Both in cost and amenities. If you had ever owned one or both then you would be able to speak from a base of experience and knowledge not just trying to justify why you think you do not want one. Do you really believe that the thousands of people that have bought a Lexus over a Toyota are dumber than you? If they are smart enough to be able to be in the position to afford one. Just maybe..., they might know a few things that you don't?

My Granpa told me some things also. Like never finance a deprecating asset, like a boat. I've never owned a boat that had a mortgage and I've had more than a few boats in my fifty+ years of boating. All of them except two were new. Mostly due to the gift of coming from a family that was in the boat business. Boats were profitable for me to buy, enjoy and sell. And, a nice tax deduction.

Congratulations on you and your wife working to become debt free. I commend you for utilizing your self control to be able accomplish that. I understand what having children with medical problems is like. We had a child with C. Palsy. I've had both hips replaced, a neck fusion and a back operation in the last five years.

Luckily my wife and I got the need to see the world off our "bucket lists" before the kids came along. For many years, I was a self employed international courier. I brought my wife to be along on many assignments and got paid to see the world, first class.

Later on, raising a family and building/running a business did not allow for as many vacations. Maybe only 7/10 days in Mexico once a year and Las wages for a three day week end now and then. As we expanded the business, some years we did not have time or money for any vacations. Traveling was much different back in the 70/80's. The courier customer satisfaction rules required that I carry a weapon. I was never ever questioned by security in over ten years of air travel. I would NOT want to travel on airlines at this time. I have had enough of travel for two lifetimes....

Taxes you say? Back in my hamster in a cage high earning years and before Ronnie got elected, I was a 70%'er. Now I pay zero, nada, zilch. I found a real good financial advisor about twenty years ago. He said move to Florida and buy tax free municipal bonds. So far.. very good. My last little cash business was being a state certified real estate appraiser. That ended in 2006 when the bottom fell out of the Florida r.e. market. Now, I live to fish and fish to live.

Rascal :donno

Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for