Power trim assembly pitting question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

robster

Power trim assembly pitting question

#1 Post by robster » Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

Howdy- I have a 2010 Yamaha F150TLR 4-stroke outboard, my power tilt trim housing is pitted, moderated to light pitting and all the paint is gone.I keep my boat in a wet slip year round in fresh water,I'm sure the pitting was caused from keeping my SS prop in the water, I now keep my prop out of the water and put on a aluminum prop in freeze months. My anodes are fine and I added a fish magnesium anode a few months ago that I drop in next to the mounter housing. Other boats at my marina have the same problem,but most folks just don't care and there is no stray current. Currently my Trim/Tilt works just fine, I also had some pitting on my lower unit which I sanded and painted.
My question: should I paint the trim/tilt assembly to prevent it from rusting and failing over time? which will be kinda hard since I don't have the mechanical ability to remove it to paint the back section. Again the pitting is light. I don't own a trailer. attached is the part I'm talking about,it's a picture of a replacement part for sale on Ebay for $1500.
Attachments
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (196.76 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
2011 Manitou OasisVP Tritoon w/Yamaha 150