Premier or Suntracker?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rascal

Re: Premier or Suntracker?

#16 Post by Rascal » Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Ray Jr. wrote:I know it aint on the west coast, but these guys do ship, and you can usually talk em down on the price, or get em to add in extras, to sweeten the deal.

2011 25ft. PREMIER Sunsation LTD/Performance Pkg. Mercury 90 Optimax. No trailer, new one available for $3,750. Beige/Red. Rates a 8.5 Cosmetically. 2 forward chaise loungers. “L” shape couch in the rear with easy one step pop-up changing room/storage. Performance Package has lifting strakes & underwater performance sheeting. This allows the pontoons to be lifted out of the water to decrease drag which increase speed and turn capabilities. Great set-up for entertaining large parties or tubing/wakeboarding/waterskiing. Full 3 year Mercury factory engine warranty. Rental #15. $26,995

http://www.winnisquammarine.com/?page_id=2253

Close.... but no cigar. Its a rental boat with most likely high hours and with no trailer, brings the price up to $30,000 after the trailer is added. Not a 'Fair Dinkum" deal. I had found this dealer in my previous search and was not impressed. Rental run of the mill floor plan high millage boats...

When I was net shopping from coast to coast from 2010 to 2012. I found the Cast A Way (top of line fishing model) was the hardest model to find, even in a new model. The common family floor plan models were the most abundant available, hence low supply affects higher values and high supply equates lower resale values via available marine appraisal data. I was a state licensed appraiser by trade from 1991 to 2006, of R.E., estates and marine vehicles. I retired when the poop hit the fan (great recession) in 2006. I still have a few friends left in the business.

My search for my personal pontoon was very through, exhaustive and analytical. Due to family connections, I am cursed by having the knowledge as to what Stealers actually pay for these tin cans. If you can find another 2012 (by now 2013) Premier Cast A Way with a 115 hp engine, power steering, Minn Kota 80 (iPilot) trolling motor (for sale) and a four wheel trailer with only 5 hours use for $22,900t... Please let me know. I'll pay a "finders fee"..... I forgot, it also had a stainless (heavy) ski tow bar, (also for sale).

I also learned as an appraiser that friends don't let friends buy T.....r pontoon boats :rofl .

As Always IMHO,

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

Ray Jr.

#17 Post by Ray Jr. » Sun May 18, 2014 3:22 pm

[quote="Rascal
Close.... but no cigar. Its a rental boat with most likely high hours and with no trailer, brings the price up to $30,000 after the trailer is added. Not a 'Fair Dinkum" deal. I had found this dealer in my previous search and was not impressed. Rental run of the mill floor plan high millage boats...

When I was net shopping from coast to coast from 2010 to 2012. I found the Cast A Way (top of line fishing model) was the hardest model to find, even in a new model. The common family floor plan models were the most abundant available, hence low supply affects higher values and high supply equates lower resale values via available marine appraisal data. I was a state licensed appraiser by trade from 1991 to 2006, of R.E., estates and marine vehicles. I retired when the poop hit the fan (great recession) in 2006. I still have a few friends left in the business.

My search for my personal pontoon was very through, exhaustive and analytical. Due to family connections, I am cursed by having the knowledge as to what Stealers actually pay for these tin cans. If you can find another 2012 (by now 2013) Premier Cast A Way with a 115 hp engine, power steering, Minn Kota 80 (iPilot) trolling motor (for sale) and a four wheel trailer with only 5 hours use for $22,900t... Please let me know. I'll pay a "finders fee"..... I forgot, it also had a stainless (heavy) ski tow bar, (also for sale).

I also learned as an appraiser that friends don't let friends buy T.....r pontoon boats :rofl .

As Always IMHO,

Rascal[/quote]

Yes its a rental, and this dealer is very well liked and respected in this area, I have bought 3 boats from them, 2 Premiers, (both rentals) and was very happy with both, first was a 225 Sunsation LTD with a 90, the second is the boat in my sig and my current boat. and a used fishing v hull. Their rental fleet is usually only rented 1 season then sold for a pretty good discount and still a damn good warranty on them. Their rental season is relatively short, and their rental day is only 9-4, also NH requires a NASBLA boating certificate for anything over 25 HP, so the higher HP rentals get less use. They sell all over the country, and other countries, just a year or 2 back they sold and delivered (the owner himself trailered it down) a 31X10 boundary waters with twin 300 Verados to someone in the gulf. In my experience they are a very good dealer, at least the sales dept is, and a lot of folks in this area feel the same.
Last edited by Ray Jr. on Fri May 30, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

Coldbrew

#18 Post by Coldbrew » Sun May 18, 2014 3:39 pm

its a rental, and this dealer is very well liked and respected in this area, I have bought 3 boats from them, 2 Premiers, (both rentals) and was very happy with both, first was a 225 Sunsation LTD with a 90, the second is the boat in my sig and my current boat. and a used fishing v hull. Their rental fleet is usually only rented 1 season then sold for a pretty good discount and still a damn good warranty on them. Their rental season is relatively short, and their rental day is only 9-4, also NH requires a NASBLA boating certificate for anything over 25 HP, so the higher HP rentals get less use. They sell all over the country, and other countries, just a year or 2 back they sold and delivered (the owner himself trailered it down) a 31X10 boundary waters with twin 300 Verados to someone in the gulf. In my experience they are a very good dealer, and a lot of folks in this area feel the same.

Ditto :thumbsup

My fourth boat from them is now on order. 8)
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

Liberty MO

#19 Post by Liberty MO » Sun May 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Love my Tracker, love the beer money I saved over the Bennington comparable model. :drink
Sam
2013 Sun Tracker Regency 254 pt3 w/ Mercury 200 Pro XS
Smithville Lake, MO

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#20 Post by badmoonrising » Sun May 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Liberty MO wrote:Love my Tracker, love the beer money I saved over the Bennington comparable model. :drink

Yep. I've have 2, would buy another when the time comes. Just because you pay more for something made the same way, doesn't make it better.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Hawk_308

#21 Post by Hawk_308 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 am

badmoonrising wrote:
Liberty MO wrote:Love my Tracker, love the beer money I saved over the Bennington comparable model. :drink

Yep. I've have 2, would buy another when the time comes. Just because you pay more for something made the same way, doesn't make it better.

No No No Ive been told if by buying a tier one brand makes you brilliant , because millions of people cant be wrong ........ but wait how did we get obama ?
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

Rascal

#22 Post by Rascal » Mon May 19, 2014 2:32 pm

He might be, and based on the many testimonials here, probably is, a very good Premier dealer to buy a 1 year rental from with low short season northern use.

But.... $26,999 is still WAY too much money for a used non fishing 2010 Premier. I stepped over a pristine condition Cruise & Fish 2012 Bennington S series with the two large elliptical (32") tube option and a 115hp Yamie that would run over 40 mph. It came with a premium two axel aluminum trailer with 4 wheel brakes and other options in my hunt for my current boat. The last time that I looked, it was still for sale.

You guys must have deep pockets to pay your favorite stealer's prices. Unless you are able to negotiate him down WAY below what he's asking for the subject boat above. You just don't know, what you don't know, about dealer costs and resale values of the different brands. Do you think that you could get what these dealers are asking if you attempted to sell your boat by owner?

In reading your posts, I have come to believe that you Tracker owner's are good salt of the earth people. As miss directed as I believe you may be, I will not make any more negative comments regarding pecker Tracker boats. Peace brothers....

Kind regards,

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#23 Post by badmoonrising » Mon May 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Friends don't let friends buy Premier boats :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Liquid Asset

#24 Post by Liquid Asset » Mon May 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Rascal wrote:He might be, and based on the many testimonials here, probably is, a very good Premier dealer to buy a 1 year rental from with low short season northern use.

But.... $26,999 is still WAY too much money for a used non fishing 2010 Premier. I stepped over a pristine condition Cruise & Fish 2012 Bennington S series with the two large elliptical (32") tube option and a 115hp Yamie that would run over 40 mph. It came with a premium two axel aluminum trailer with 4 wheel brakes and other options in my hunt for my current boat. The last time that I looked, it was still for sale.

You guys must have deep pockets to pay your favorite stealer's prices. Unless you are able to negotiate him down WAY below what he's asking for the subject boat above. You just don't know, what you don't know, about dealer costs and resale values of the different brands. Do you think that you could get what these dealers are asking if you attempted to sell your boat by owner?

In reading your posts, I have come to believe that you Tracker owner's are good salt of the earth people. As miss directed as I believe you may be, I will not make any more negative comments regarding pecker Tracker boats. Peace brothers....

Kind regards,

Rascal
I've been reading along here and it sounds like you got a great deal on your boat and maybe have some inside info on price. If you know the margins on new boats that could be very good info for all of us ! I think the reason most buy at local dealers is just for ease of the transaction. Service is also a huge thing , even if price is a bit more a good local dealer is invaluable. There is always a better deal some where but the logistics/cost of shipping can usually make it a wash. With a used boat I wouldn't want to buy it sight unseen even if it was a steal.

I personally would go for a new track over a used premier. If it was only a year or two old that would be different. I think the new trackers are really nice. As far as construction they are built better than my old riviera cruiser and that's stayed on the right side of the water for 30 years ! If I was shopping I would go new . I don't really care about warranties as much as I just like knowing the history of what ever I'm buying.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

curtiscapk

#25 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Rascal wrote:He might be, and based on the many testimonials here, probably is, a very good Premier dealer to buy a 1 year rental from with low short season northern use.

Kind regards,

Rascal

wow dude not everyone is loaded with your money.... chill out and even if you think premiers are awesome and the only toon out there, there are over 1000 others on here that would disagree.... oh yea IMHO of course.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#26 Post by badmoonrising » Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Wasn't a money issue with me, I just liked the quality of the Party Cruiser, so I didn't hesitate buying another Tracker. We looked at many makes and models, and there was no difference in build quality. I looked at G3's, Bennington, Starcraft, etc.

In fact, NO ONE in here since I've been here have had issues with Tracker boats vs any other brand. He's also comparing Tracker's cheapest model with a mid range Premier. Apples/Oranges. The 18 footers are built for inland lakes/ponds.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#27 Post by lakerunner » Mon May 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Rascal wrote:I closed on the sale of the Premier in my signature in December of 2013. It is a 2012 model with only 5 hours. A duel wheel trailer, Minn Kota 80 I-pilot trolling motor (for sale), Seastar power steering. 115 Honda engine. I added the day enclosure, Loan Star anchor winch and the fixed mount ipad. I paid $22,900. The dealer fixed the receipt so that I only paid sales tax on the boat & trailer. Not on the motor (I saved $600 tax). He had the boat/trailer loaded on the flat bed truck at no charge. Nice dealer in Twin lakes, WI

The Premier boat, motor and trailer was stored in the dealers show room and in mint "New" condition. The only negative is that I had to pay to have it flat bed truck shipped from WI to FL. The boat and engine have the remainder of a five year warranty left.

Is that Stealer is trying to get you to pay $25,000 for a 2008 premier? If he has a jar of Vasiline in one hand and you hear the sound of a "Zipper".... RUN Forrest RUN! Offer him 15K and come up to 18k at the most!

And, Friends don't allow friends to buy Tracker pontoons :nono

As Always.... IMHO,

Rascal

So what are you some fucking snob? You think everyone should follow your thinking? Premier is a great boat but many can't afford that much and some don't need that high end boat. If you don't like them fine but don't tell me not to.

Reminds me of the asshole on other forum who said if you didn't have his brand you were driving a K Mart Toon
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#28 Post by badmoonrising » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 am

Perhaps he could explain for us all, the structural superiority of Premier vs Tracker.....like I said. Z bars are zbars, plywood deck is a plywood deck logs are logs and Tracker's lifetime warranty is hard to beat. Motors - their controls and wiring are provided by those manufacturers, so are the same when installed on ANY boat.

Not gonna pay a lot more when the only difference is seats that are a little more plush, doesn't make sense. :donno
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

wijames

#29 Post by wijames » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 am

badmoonrising wrote:Lots of Tracker owners on this forum haven't had any problems with theirs, just saying....actually users owning Tracker boats are the majority here, haven't been many make specific complaints since I've been here. :donno
The model does make a big difference. My Bass buggy is really flimsey and I would never buy another tracker because of the poor service at Bass Pro shops. So I agree, stay away from Bass Pro and buy a nicer boat if you go with Tracker.
Capt. Butch James - "Water and sunshine are the cures for all problems"

2015 Tracker Bass Buggy 16 w/ 40 hp Mercury four stroke

(old) 2000 Sylvan 20' Tritoon
(old) 1993 Tracker 30' Party Hut
(Old) 2011 Tracker Baby Bass Buggy 18

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#30 Post by badmoonrising » Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 pm

That's one of the points I made above. He shouldn't expect an entry level bass buggy (made for inland lakes/ponds) to hold up in the water he is boating on. A mid range Tracker is just as well made as a mid range Premier, Bennington, etc. Premier doesn't offer bare bones low end models.

My last Tracker handled 6 ft waves with no issues. Don't wanna be out in those conditions again :scared , but the boat fared well. The Chesapeake is about as rough (sometimes rougher than the gulf). Mostly Trackers in these parts.

I agree about Bass Pro Shops. I bought my Party Barge at a local dealer. Bass Pro is incompetent on many levels. Nothing that was Tracker's fault, just poor sub contacted service work, salespeople with no knowledge of what they are selling and poor communication.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD