New single outboard record at LOTO Shootout

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

greghvac

Re: New single outboard record at LOTO Shootout

#46 Post by greghvac » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 pm

fasttoons wrote:
pond tuuunes wrote:Just spoke with Ken, his has twin 300 2 strokes
Heard today he's running 90mph with that set up. Two stroke outboards are way more fun-
Some photos- please note the out of date interior? Check the rear shot- bottom a little different.
I seen you (fasttoon) out on the lake sunday pointed you out to everyone on my boat. Looks good in the water.
Should be out on the lake.

PQ29

#47 Post by PQ29 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Nobody has video of this 76mph pass.... :donno :?

woolznaz

#48 Post by woolznaz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:26 pm

PQ29, I'm sure there is video out there. However, when the top gun for the day ran 244 MPH, a pontoon laboring down the course in the mid 70's does not exactly bring out the average Shootout visitor's camera. I do enjoy seeing the toons run, though. Especially when they break 100. The entire Shootout is televised locally so I'm sure video is out there.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

fasttoons

#49 Post by fasttoons » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:31 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:out of date graphics, I think not, poor seating? seats 16-17. and definitely fast!
clean8.jpg
clean7.JPG
clean6.JPG
clean5.JPG
clean2.JPG
Are you selling it?

fasttoons

#50 Post by fasttoons » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:37 pm

PQ29 wrote:Nobody has video of this 76mph pass.... :donno :?
If I find it I'll post it. Go to here for the results of each run by class-

http://www.shootoutresults.com/byclass.php

Then look at

Class:MPO1S1-David Dorris

pond tuuunes

#51 Post by pond tuuunes » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:59 pm

fasttoons wrote:
pond tuuunes wrote:out of date graphics, I think not, poor seating? seats 16-17. and definitely fast!
clean8.jpg
clean7.JPG
clean6.JPG
clean5.JPG
clean2.JPG
Are you selling it?
Nope, cant, thats my baby
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

LittleRiver

#52 Post by LittleRiver » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:46 am

This thread has opened my eyes to the speed these boats are getting. I had no idea a pontoon boat, and a good size one at that, with a single would be in the mid 70s. Have a 250 on the back of the bass boat and I have bumped 75/76 but to do it in a pontoon? Awesome
Nothing I can add.. Just learn!!!
[i][color=#0000BF] ...08 24' Party Barge "Tiggers Toy" 50hp..[/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] ..Triton TR21X 250 V-Max "Yellow Bullet".. [/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] .. Little River Motorsports Top Dragster T/D[/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] ..Dodge and Ford truck, but still race a Chevy[/color][/i]

fasttoons

#53 Post by fasttoons » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:45 am

LittleRiver wrote:This thread has opened my eyes to the speed these boats are getting. I had no idea a pontoon boat, and a good size one at that, with a single would be in the mid 70s. Have a 250 on the back of the bass boat and I have bumped 75/76 but to do it in a pontoon? Awesome

Just think of the boating future here. You have a pontoon platform that you can fish off of in the morning and take your entire family out in comfort to swim and ski off of. You add a performance bottom and your bass boat motor and you have the speed you want. If it's a 20'-22' boat it's a light easy tow and because of the hull design it also handles rough water very well.
You can consolidate down to one boat. It's turned into the SUV of the boating world.

ToonGuy

#54 Post by ToonGuy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 am

fasttoons wrote: It's turned into the SUV of the boating world.
Love it...been using that same saying for the last 5 years :lol3
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

jayw

#55 Post by jayw » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:50 am

Can't wait to see the Hampton step hull design. Still working out the next boat in my mind.

woolznaz

#56 Post by woolznaz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 pm

There is a reason tri-toons are getting such major market share right now. Even on big lakes like LOTO, they are everywhere. I never thought I would want a pontoon at all.... they never turned my head even for a second. Then, one fateful day in 2008 I took a ride on a new tri-toon and was immediately hooked. Since 2010 we have owned our '07 South Bay and I have never been so happy with a boat. I realize the tri-toon is not the sexiest boat on the water, but we really love it and have no desire to replace it with another boat. Since owning the tri-toon we have bought and sold 1 Monterey and 4 Sea Rays from 19 to 23 feet in length (long story). NONE of them have even tempted us to go back to pointy glass boats. The tri-toon just works better for us.
5.7 Volvo I/O

LittleRiver

#57 Post by LittleRiver » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:33 am

fasttoons wrote:
LittleRiver wrote:This thread has opened my eyes to the speed these boats are getting. I had no idea a pontoon boat, and a good size one at that, with a single would be in the mid 70s. Have a 250 on the back of the bass boat and I have bumped 75/76 but to do it in a pontoon? Awesome

Just think of the boating future here. You have a pontoon platform that you can fish off of in the morning and take your entire family out in comfort to swim and ski off of. You add a performance bottom and your bass boat motor and you have the speed you want. If it's a 20'-22' boat it's a light easy tow and because of the hull design it also handles rough water very well.
You can consolidate down to one boat. It's turned into the SUV of the boating world.
I"m seeing that. Already added the big remote control trolling motor and striper season is right around the bend for us here coastal. Troll 4 rods while partying and leave the bass boat in the stall. LOL
Some of the ones at the lodge do the over night fishing parties to. I"m for sure going to get in on those.
I'm sitting back learning from you guys post what is going on with these things and loving trying to get mine finished so its all water and not work. :)
[i][color=#0000BF] ...08 24' Party Barge "Tiggers Toy" 50hp..[/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] ..Triton TR21X 250 V-Max "Yellow Bullet".. [/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] .. Little River Motorsports Top Dragster T/D[/color][/i]
[i][color=#0000BF] ..Dodge and Ford truck, but still race a Chevy[/color][/i]

wickerbill

#58 Post by wickerbill » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 am

I wonder at what speed that one needs to be concerned about a blow over? :shock: That's a lot of air under that thing.....scares me....
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

2014 Berkshire STS 231RFC
115 Mercury 4 stroke

woolznaz

#59 Post by woolznaz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:57 pm

wickerbill wrote:I wonder at what speed that one needs to be concerned about a blow over? :shock: That's a lot of air under that thing.....scares me....
I can remember in 2013 (pretty sure) at The Shootout when I thought Brad's South Bay lifted a little too much for comfort near the end of the run. I know if I would have been in the boat I would have been well advised to wear my brown shorts that day. I suppose I would need those if I ever got in that boat though! I don't think that was even his run of 114, either. I'm pretty sure it was not, but he was still cookin'. I never heard anything about it, but it looked like it was not far from grabbing too much air and flipping. It scared me to watch it. He may have been comfortable with it and maybe it was not that close, but it did scare me for a second.

This year we did unfortunately see the 46-foot Outerlimits full canopied catamaran get too much air under it. Holy crap that was a scary thing to witness. I know there were a few other guys on here that were there, too. I hope to never see anything like that happen again. That boat must have been 40+ feet in the air at one point. One guy was barely hurt. Another unfortunately lost his life a couple of days later from the crash. He was the CEO of Outerlimits and from what everyone says he was a heck of a good guy. They were running about 179 when it went over, so we are talking about vastly different boats here.
5.7 Volvo I/O

tuned

#60 Post by tuned » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 am

woolznaz wrote:
wickerbill wrote:I wonder at what speed that one needs to be concerned about a blow over? :shock: That's a lot of air under that thing.....scares me....
I can remember in 2013 (pretty sure) at The Shootout when I thought Brad's South Bay lifted a little too much for comfort near the end of the run.
I saw the video of that. About the time he blew through the trap, the bow started coming up. Looked like it was about ten feet off the water before he managed to drop it back down. I'd say he was REAL close to the dreaded 'pancake flip'. I've felt that feeling before, but not on a toon....super hellascary :scared
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN