Tools to keep on board?And lots of other newbie questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Wishing

Tools to keep on board?And lots of other newbie questions

#1 Post by Wishing » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:11 pm

I plan to get a toolbox to keep on board for little things that might go wrong. What should be in it?

If I want to buy a new prop for my boat and keep this one as a spare, how do I go about finding out what kind to get?

Our battery is not fastened down. What exactly should I buy for that purpose?

I have cleats I need to install. I am fairly sure I need some kind of metal plate on the bottom side to reinforce the deck where they go, but is there anything else I should know?

We bought this toon 3 months ago...only impulsive thing we've ever done in our lives, and man have we paid for it. We think next weekend we will actually be able to get it out and enjoy it. It seems our motor is temperamental, but with the help of a friend, I think we figured it out, mostly.

I also have a rip in my front bimini, a couple inches from the zipper. I'm trying to figure out the best quick fix I can. Ideally I would like to take it home, where I have the space and sewing machine, but I don't think it will fit in the (short) truck bed. I've heard elmer's glue bonds well. Can I patch with canvas on top and bottom of the bimini and hope it holds? Or do I really have to figure out a way to get it home?

Bamaman

Re: Tools to keep on board?And lots of other newbie questions

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I plan to get a toolbox to keep on board for little things that might go wrong. What should be in it? I'd make sure I had the tools required to remove a propeller. Pliers, screwdrivers and the like too. Not bad to carry jumper cables and/or a battery jump box (charged.) I also carry a 1" tow rope that's 50' in length.

If I want to buy a new prop for my boat and keep this one as a spare, how do I go about finding out what kind to get? Are you satisfied with your current performance? Is your boat reaching the engine's redline with a couple of people and a full tank of gasoline? If your current prop is good, get a duplicate aluminum prop--relatively inexpensive.

Our battery is not fastened down. What exactly should I buy for that purpose? Put the battery in a plastic battery box and screw the box to the deck.

I have cleats I need to install. I am fairly sure I need some kind of metal plate on the bottom side to reinforce the deck where they go, but is there anything else I should know? Use stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers. Plates are not needed.

We bought this toon 3 months ago...only impulsive thing we've ever done in our lives, and man have we paid for it. We think next weekend we will actually be able to get it out and enjoy it. It seems our motor is temperamental, but with the help of a friend, I think we figured it out, mostly. You don't want to be caught out with a temperamental motor. What kind of engine is it? If it has carbs., they can be cleaned with just a can of carb. cleaner. Install a new set of spark plugs and fuel filters. Doesn't hurt to put a new fuel line on a used boat. I would suggest going ahead and installing a new water pump impeller unless you can be furnished documentation on the last time it was changed. And by all means, drain the lower unit gear lube and replace it--looking for signs of water and/or metal shavings. It's a quick easy job. Life's not fun getting stranded for a lack of maintenance.

I also have a rip in my front bimini, a couple inches from the zipper. I'm trying to figure out the best quick fix I can. Ideally I would like to take it home, where I have the space and sewing machine, but I don't think it will fit in the (short) truck bed. I've heard elmer's glue bonds well. Can I patch with canvas on top and bottom of the bimini and hope it holds? Or do I really have to figure out a way to get it home? Most bimini's have zippers holding them on the frame. Remove the canvas and take it to an auto upholstery shop or tent and awning shop. Most likely they can put a patch on it. Elmers glue's only good for wood--and not even that good for it.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jrolin1

#3 Post by jrolin1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Cell phone.

illinoid

#4 Post by illinoid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:34 pm

I bought a cheap set of combination wrenches in the sizes to do most things on my motor. I finally found a spark plug removal tool so I don't have to get my ratchet out of my shop every time I go. I always wear a good set of pruners (Felco 2), the tool I use for everything I can.

My spare prop I got from my motor mechanic, it is pretty much junk but would get me home, also castle nut and cotter pins. Price was right.

Also got a spare tire and hub, packed the bearings, installed the seal, but the nut and cotter pins under the dust cap and taped up the other side til I can get a stub axle to weld to the trailer as a spare carrier.

I started with an unreliable motor so I picked up a used trolling motor and a good battery to maneuver if I have to, figure someone will tow me close to the marina.

We only cut one trip short with engine problems and I am pretty confident in the reliability of my ancient outboard now...now to work on a little more speed.

I found lots of little things on my motor that could be improved, Check every fastener to see if it is properly tightened and particularly look at all electrical connections, particularly for the bluish white powdery bad connections.

Best of luck...Seems like every trip out I add a tool or something I think I need.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

Soonertoon

#5 Post by Soonertoon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Bottle of whiskey and a shotgun.....lol
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

Wishing

#6 Post by Wishing » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 am

My bimini canvas doesn't zip off. I have to remove the frame and slide it off. But I'd like to replace the connections on the frame as well. I've got no intention of paying someone to fix it as it's the one thing on the boat I'm fully qualified to repair. :) I asked about the glue because someone on another boat forum was saying elmer's actually bonds to outdoor canvas really well. I need something to get me through a month or so and then I can bring it home and patch it properly.

My deck is aluminum, are plates still not needed to reinforce the cleats?

A good mechanic has been through just about every part of our motor, its just...picky. You have to sweet talk it. We would really like a trolling motor just in case, but they're pretty pricey! We do have good towing insurance and we're not likely to get into a dangerous situation in the lake we're on.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm taking notes.

Bryden24shp

#7 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm

A good sharp knife and a cheap handheld marine radio are a must in all my boats!
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

tcpip95

#8 Post by tcpip95 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:57 am

1. A tool to remove a water/fuel separator filter (oil filter wrench works fine). If you get water in your gas, you'll need to remove this in order to remove the water from the gas. (Ask me about my 7 hour tow home one night because I didn't have one :x )
2. A multi-tool. I have a Leatherman Surge that I keep with me on the boat.
3. Philips-head and slotted screwdriver
4. Dock lines. Lots of dock lines.
5. Bungee cords. Lots of bungee cords.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System