When to raise

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jmlg203

When to raise

#1 Post by jmlg203 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:53 pm

Just learning about boating and lake living. We have a 22 ft 'O5 Bennington with a Yamaha 115 - 4 stroke. Have not noticed any issues with the aluminum or the motor in the water yet, but I'd like to not let any arise. We have a boat lift at our dock and it has been my practice so far to put the boat up on the lift most evenings when we come in but it's manual and get's a bit strenuous raising the boat. A little exercise is okay, but I really don't think I need that much.

Question is: How long should be considered too long to leave the boat in the water tied up at the dock, and when should we go to the effort of putting it up on the lift?

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm

It would depend on the lake and how fast stuff grows on your toons, but it would be better on the lift, might be time to check on converting it to electrical power
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

jimrs

#3 Post by jimrs » Mon May 22, 2006 8:00 am

Another it depends, I have for the last 4 years left mine in the water for 2 to 4 months. There is a lot of growth and it ate up some of the lower unit. So I will tilt the engine out of the water while not using the boat. That is until I get my lift and boat house finished. It's a pain cleaning the toons after they sit in the water for the summer.

I have a neighbor that bought a new poontoon about 5 years ago and there toon sits in the water year round. That is until they drained the lake for the last two year then it set in mud. I have not seen the boat up close but would think that its not in the best shape. As it just sits tied to the dock no cover or any protection.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

RiverLiver

#4 Post by RiverLiver » Mon May 22, 2006 9:05 am

My 84 has never been on a lift (or covered for that matter)a day in its life. It's out on the water all spring/summer/fall long (shrink wrapped on blocks in winter).

The toons don't look the best but they're in fine, usable shape.

Still has the original deck and furniture, though the deck is getting soft in the spots that tend to hold rain water.

If I had a "respectable" toon like most of you, I would defenitely keep it covered, but not worry so much about the toons being in the water all year. If you have a lift, great, if not, no worries.
1988 JC
Thornapple River
Cascade, MI

toonplayer

#5 Post by toonplayer » Fri May 26, 2006 11:41 am

Gosh Guys, do you not see the problem, He needs to get his wife to crank the lift up. I sure she would not mind :evil: Just kidding, add electric motor and do not leave it in the water more than a day or two unless you swim around with a scrub pad and clean the toons.

Toonplayer
2005 Crest II RE 115 4stroke Johnson
Lake Hickory NC