Haggling With A Dealer

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

LadyGT

Haggling With A Dealer

#1 Post by LadyGT » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:56 am

So we decided to go new 2015 Bentley 220 Cruiser. Our local dealer has the best price on the boat and 115 motor, but high on the options. I have gotten another itemized quote on the same model but the prices on the options on some items are considerably lower. For example local shop wants $695 for captains chair and competitor about $399. This tells me dealers can adjust prices. I have never haggled for a new boat so can I go in with what I want to pay using another dealer's prices on the options? I realize markups is how dealers make their money, but I do not want to pay outrageous amounts either.

I think we will have to special order the boat because I do not think what we want is on her lot. If we order, are we going to pay more because it is not already on the lot or are dealers more flexible with prices because it is not part of their inventory? Their money is not tied up. Any tips you can share with negotiations would be appreciated. I do not want to be unrealistic and tick off the local dealer. I am getting quotes from around the state to see who has the best prices. Maybe I should consider going out of state as well?

If boat is not purchased locally, will the local shop honor the manufacturer's warranty?

Edit: I typed this up on my ipod and think this is in the wrong location. Should be in general discussion. Can this be moved?
Denise and Jim
2015 Encore 22' Cruise SE Grey
2001 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Haggling With A Dealer

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 am

Moved it for you to general pontoon
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Bamby

#3 Post by Bamby » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:05 am

Here's a dealer I encountered off the search engine when I went to take a gander of the boat you're considering. As you can see this dealer splits the difference on the two quotes you've already received. I'll go ahead and post the link to the site simply because a) it's a pretty nice site and b) they posts their prices online for everyone to see and compare.

KY-Boats.net

Adds:

1. Mooring cover ...................................................$269
2. Front couch insert .............................................$395
3. Factory snap-on playpen cover - installed .............$795
4. Ski tow - installed ............................................ .$450
5. Upgraded reclining captains chair w/exchange .......$495
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Ddancers

#4 Post by Ddancers » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:55 am

Sweetwater Purchase 2015 Model
Interesting to see upgrades really add up.
If it helps two captains chairs upgrade and extra table w/base $848 - (State CT)
Ski Tow Bar & Underwater Lights $410
If you like any additional examples let me know
Sweetwater 2015 - 2 - 27" Tubes
240 DF LF150 Yamaha
Lifting Strakes Cap. 15 Per.
Long Shaft 31.9 mph.

RcgTexas

#5 Post by RcgTexas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:55 pm

All I can say is make sure you are getting his/her best deal. do your homework and be prepared to walk out.
Watch a little pawn stars and see how Rick works a deal. If its not right for you walk away, there are more boat places. IMHO
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

dodger

#6 Post by dodger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:17 pm

We also made sure with our latest purchase that we went with a dealer that was better with service after the sale than our pervious purchase. We were willing to spend a bit more to get that. We have not been disappointed we did either. We did let the dealers we were dealing with what our expectations were when negotiating. So please take that into consideration. Service after the sale is worth a few extra bucks. This dealer is willing to go to the lift on the lake we keep the boat at for service so we don't have to pull it out to take it to him. We haven't had to do this yet, but it is nice to know we have that as a back up.
2014 Bennington 24 S tritoon with lifting stakes/25" tubes/ gas tank in center tube/ infloor storage/ vinyl floor/ electric bimini/dual batteries/ upgraded Sony stereo/changing room
Yamaha 150
SeaStar steering

LadyGT

#7 Post by LadyGT » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:52 am

Many mention good service after the sale. There is no way to determine that until you purchase the boat. All I know is the dealer I am working with sells and ships out a lot of boats. I have never taken in my speedboat there for service.

Went to the lot last night and there were 2 tall stacks of boat trailers and at least 20-30 pontoons shrink wrapped waiting to be either sold or serviced. Definitely a busy place.
Denise and Jim

Ray Jr.

#8 Post by Ray Jr. » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:39 am

Some times if they wont negotiate with you on price, you can get them to sweeten the deal with extras, throw in life vests, anchor, fenders, tube, boat hook, or other accessories you might want/need
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

LadyGT

#9 Post by LadyGT » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:50 am

I am starting to feel nervous about going to the place where I want to purchase the boat. If negotiations are not successful, I will have to drive 2-3 hours away to try again. Ughh!
Denise and Jim

justfishing

#10 Post by justfishing » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 pm

It is boat show time. A good time to scout a few dealers are boat shows and see how they compare.

LadyGT

#11 Post by LadyGT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:49 am

Boat shows are great if they are held in your town and advertise. By the time I thought of boat shows, I was a month too late. Atlanta held theirs in mid January and we are 90 miles away. The next closest one is Savannah this weekend which is 3 hours away. No advertising here in our area. I had to Google boat shows to see what was happening. Even if there are shows, not all marine dealers offer special show prices. Mine didn't.

I learned to get price quotes in writing from a bunch of dealers and work with the numbers used by all of them. This was definitely a learning experience. Glad it is over. One thing more. Learn about the various motors available in the horsepower you want. We did not know there were options with them as well.
Denise and Jim