Old style transoms?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JeffB

Old style transoms?

#1 Post by JeffB » Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 pm

Don't most pontoon motor transom pods have a hole or opening near the bottom for the water to run thru/drain out? I just bought a 1989 Sylvan and the motor pod doesn't have a drain hole. It looks like it fills up with right much water when I have the boat in the water since it's not watertight. Were these older models supposed to be made to keep the water out of the motor pod or should I drill a hole for it to drain? Does anyone know?
The pod is made of metal but the section that the motor mounts to is wood. I recently replaced the wood (since this pic) but there is a 1" metal lip around the sides and bottom of the wood where the metal bolts to the wooden mount section. I noticed that most all new pontoon boats have an opening at the bottom of the motor pod for the water to drain out. Look at my picture and see what you advise. Should I cut a drain hole\slit?
In case it matters, my boat has 21 ft x 19" tubes and a 40hp motor

Thanks
ImageShack to the rescue
JeffB

Toontroller

#2 Post by Toontroller » Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 pm

My Tracker does. stops just below the bottom hole.
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also

JeffB

#3 Post by JeffB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 pm

What size\diameter are your pontoon tubes? I thought maybe the enclosed transoms helped out on flotation for older boats with smaller
tubes, but maybe that wasn't the purpose at all. Thanks for the reply...
JeffB

Backlash

#4 Post by Backlash » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:30 pm

Jeff,
My old Flote-Bote had 19" logs, and the pod was opened at the bottom. You probably wont notice any difference in the way it runs, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a hole in it for drainage when you've got it on the trailer.
22' Landau Conquest/ 90HP Suzuki
1994 Chevy 3/4 ton 350

Wichita, Kansas