Spun prop hub

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sunedog

Spun prop hub

#1 Post by sunedog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:35 am

Grounded the motor while idling very slowly in some shallow water. Was really surprised because my depth gauge said water was 4.7 feet deep. Oh well. Motor stalled. I trimmed up, re-started and went on my way. Later that night, was cruising at around 4200 RPM's. Increased the throttle and the prop spun. RPM's raced to around 5000. I backed off to around 4000 RPM and had no trouble getting home.

Called the only local prop repair shop and they want between $70 and $90 to repair it. Looked online and found a Solas prop with the same diameter and pitch (14 x 11) for $97 delivered. So I just ordered a new prop.

I have a 2001 Bennington 22 foot two log boat with a Honda BF115. I considered taking this opportunity to try to find a better prop for my application but the Honda prop calculator had me scratching my head. I was getting 5600 RPM and around 25 MPH (GPS) with the existing 11 pitch prop. I'd like to get the 6000 max specified for this motor. But the Honda prop calculator recommended I go up to a 13.75 x 13 pitch prop for my application. I believe that would lower my max RPM's instead of raising it.

I've been lucky with the old prop. Never had issues with blow-out or ventilation that some of you are experiencing. It pulls a tube pretty well. So I decided it wasn't worth it to me to spend the time and money trying to dial it in for a very small improvement and I just went for the same diameter and pitch I had been running.