Today was my 1st time out on my own boat

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

toondown4what

Today was my 1st time out on my own boat

#1 Post by toondown4what » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:21 pm

I live a few miles from Lake Huron. last week I purchased a 1988 Playbouy. Today I finally got her wet. Had a friend who's a seasoned boater go out with me for my 1st run. The old 1974 Johnson 85 HP was very fussy to get started. This was complicated by the idle throttle not working at all. It took at-least 15-20 minutes with the cover off coaxing the motor via throttle and choke. However, once it got warm it was very happy. Monday I'm taking the motor to the marine shop to let them work their magic on the idle throttle and see if they can help her cold heartedness.

Our 1st run was out the Black River in Port Huron, Mi and then up the st. Clair river to lake Huron. The river was very choppy. But the boat and I handled it. I had been told by others it was impossible to run the st. Clair river in a pontoon because of the current and chop. I will say this being a new boater and having to deal with heavy chop and the wake from a Great Lakes freighter was exciting to say the least. Reference picture of a frieghter passing under our bridges to canda right where the river opens to the lake Image

The Boat handled the river like a champ. But, there no way in Hell my wife would ever get back on the boat if she had been in that chop or saw how far up the bow went when I turned into the wake of the freighter.

Being that my friend only had a couple hours to spare and add in the fact we burned through my small 6 gallon take we brought her in.

About an hour after getting home my son came over and wanted to go out with me. So we loaded up on gas (3X6 gallon tanks) and headed out. our 1st order of business was taking the boat out the Black River Canal directly to Lake Huron. It's a very narrow but easily navigateable canal, except at the opening to the lake. It's shallow there (around waist deep, My 1st pass thought I did hear the prop in the rocks and quickly lifted it. Lesson learned). From there we ran the boat up to lakeport state park and back, through the canal, down the black river into town, docked and had a burger and beer, then back to the launch and home. I may be exhausted but I also had one of the best days ever.

Tomorrow I'm taking the wife and our friend out to swim and lounge.

I've lived on this beautiful great lake for 45 years and now I am finally enjoying it like it should be enjoyed.

smltooner

Re: Today was my 1st time out on my own boat

#2 Post by smltooner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Sounds like a great first day.
Welcome.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

NonHyphenAmerican

#3 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:57 am

Welcome to the Group.

Hope you and yours all have an enjoyable time with your toon.

Stay safe and have fun!
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:56 pm

By all means, get your engine running right.

We had a pontoon with engine problems get run over by a tugboat with barges last week. 2 died and 6 were rescued but with injuries. I have a friend whose brother had engine problems on an old mahogany Chris Craft cruiser off downtown Memphis--and a barge ran right over his boat.

Safety of the passengers is of the utmost importance. The Playbouy was a fine boat--now called Tahoes.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

teecro

#5 Post by teecro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:25 am

Bamaman wrote:By all means, get your engine running right.

We had a pontoon with engine problems get run over by a tugboat with barges last week. 2 died and 6 were rescued but with injuries. I have a friend whose brother had engine problems on an old mahogany Chris Craft cruiser off downtown Memphis--and a barge ran right over his boat.

Safety of the passengers is of the utmost importance. The Playbouy was a fine boat--now called Tahoes.
Yes by all means get that motor running right and keep a large safe distance between you and any of the large vessels plying the waters anywhere but especially in the Detroit or Saint Claire as try as we might sometimes we just can't change our course or stop when a little boat cuts in front of us unexpectedly...
Attachments
S.D Champlain 0011.jpg
S.D Champlain 0011.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

Nashman

#6 Post by Nashman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Sounds like a great day on the water. Congrats on your new found obsession :biggrin2
1999 Active Thunder Tantrum 550HP 502CI
2010 Crestliner 2365 Batata Bay w/115 Honda

toondown4what

#7 Post by toondown4what » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Bamaman wrote:By all means, get your engine running right.

The engine runs fine. It's just cold blooded and that is exacerbated by the idle throttle not working. This is the only issue with the boat. I've tried adjusting without luck, so a trip to the local marine shop is in order. Also for what it's worth Since running the motor all weekend it fires up without issue now. Maybe it was just finicky because it had been sitting and got new plugs.

410MAN

#8 Post by 410MAN » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 am

Im from down here in East Texas, I just want know how long can yall use the toon in that cool weather? We use ours about 8 months or more, when t gets really cold ( 25 - 35) and snows (maybe every other year we get 3-6 inches) we not go out unless the crappie are biting in the deep water. Then we use a small propane heater and still catch fishes, and we not need a beer cooler box cause it cold enough we just set 30 pack on seat.

toondown4what

#9 Post by toondown4what » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 am

410MAN wrote:Im from down here in East Texas, I just want know how long can yall use the toon in that cool weather? We use ours about 8 months or more, when t gets really cold ( 25 - 35) and snows (maybe every other year we get 3-6 inches) we not go out unless the crappie are biting in the deep water. Then we use a small propane heater and still catch fishes, and we not need a beer cooler box cause it cold enough we just set 30 pack on seat.
Our boating season is April - October. Once everything turns to ice we go ice fishing :D