Tow rig odometer reading

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Blessed

Re: Tow rig odometer reading

#16 Post by Blessed » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:30 pm

badmoonrising wrote:
No way he's on his original transmission. Highly doubtful original engine.

I want to see him drive it in the snow belt, the body will last 3 years.
Yes it is the original engine and transmission... neither one have ever been out of the truck or opened up... Transmission fluid has been changed two times and the Transmission filter one time at 265000... I change the engine oil every 3000 miles or so... the GM 4L60e 4L80e transmissions are outstanding

I drive it hard... it shifts at 6000 or 6200 rpm WOT and the peak torque is 4400 for the factory cam... I would like to see a little lower rpm peak torque... if I ever rebuild it.. I've already got a cam picked out.

It's my daily driver... snow rain sleet or hail... never been garage kept

there is a little rust on the rocker panels.. all of these have it... zero rust anywhere else on the truck... I'll eventually get that taken care of... it's cosmetic and doesn't bother me

Replaced parts:
Radiator
thermostat
stepper motors in the instrument cluster
wiper motor control board... motor is still factory original... I took it apart, replaced the control board and sealed it with silicone :lol3 I'm cheap :biggrin2
fuel pump @ 265000... only time it ever died on me... I was at a stop sign.. It's so quiet and smooth I didn't know it had died until I felt the steering get stiff...got out beat on the tank with my fist... got back in fired it up and it ran to the gas station across the street and died :lol3 beat on it three more times until I got it loaded on the car trailer... we did tow it home with my Dad's 2002 F250 7.3 Powerstroke :happy ... one for the Ford guys!
Never changed the fluid in the transfer case... :) ... and I had to go through it... oh well.. rebuilt it and put it back in... totally my fault
driver window motor... motor still worked... cable came off the pulley... easier to replace the whole regulator unit
vent valve solenoid... vents the evap system... located near the fuel tank... engine light came on ... scanned it... small vacuum leak in the evap system... smoke tested it... found it... replaced it... took about 30 minutes to trouble shoot. Had to remove the fuel tank to get the new hose on it... took about 1 1/2 hours...

changed the front and rear diff gear oil @ 265000 for the first time...
changed the power steering fluid at 265000... only time
front brake pads & rotors... I drive it hard
Plugs & wires
shocks @ 265000... they had been dead for years!
few head light bulbs and a few tail light bulbs and daytime running lamps a couple times...
couple batteries
had the leather driver seat bottom reupholstered it cracked on the side and the head liner replaced... head liner was starting to peel by the driver window... $350 total..
still has factory radio although the cd player died :( I'm gonna replace it with a touch screen so I can add a backup camera :biggrin2
has a small dent in the driver side bed behind the fender well compliments of Wal-Mart parking lot... probably an Obama voter :x
has a small dent in the passenger door... Deer hunting mud/log incident :biggrin2
round place on the hood has no paint about the size of a large bird poop... I don't remember how long it took for that to happen but I should have washed it off... no rust... still has primer coat... now I have a permanent gray bird poop spot... :lol3
hits a little hard into second gear at WOT... that's a spring & piston replacement in the 1-2 accumulator.. no big deal... should have replaced it when I dropped the pan to change the filter
2010 Sun Tracker 21' Fishin' Barge 90hp Optimax
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
2000 Georgie Boy Cruise Master
Acts 16:31 (KJV)

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#17 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:48 am

Hmm. My 17 year old F-150:

Exhaust rusted out at 152,000 miles. Passenger side cat converter is still solid/original.

Starter battery cable replaced at 140,000 miles.

Needed front brake pads, cut rotors twice.

Still has original rear brakes.

Air bag light bulb burned out at 110,000 miles.

Zero body rust.

Burns no oil, used synthetic it's entire life.

Buddy of mine has a 2003 with the 4.6, 275 k miles. Has done less work than I did on mine and is his daily driver.

Another friend, almost 200k on his 2003, has a little rust on the inside of his doors, other than that, same service record as mine.

This is a truck that is abused, spent all it's life in an area that uses road salt all winter,saltwater environment, towed house boats, launched boats in saltwater pulled stuck GM products out of boat ramps and even a couple of Jeeps gone turtle.

Tell me more about how Fords suck, lol.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

NonHyphenAmerican

#18 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:54 am

I kinda have to laugh.

I've owned two Ford F150's, still have the 2nd and the first is being driven by a former employee.

The current one is getting ready to click 100,000 and looks and drives like a it's new.

In our business, we had 17 Ford E-350 Vans. Drove them an average of 350,000 miles before replacing. One lost a rod at 386,000, two we drove over 400,000 one I know as 411,000. The one that lost a rod at 386,000 towed a trailer at least 350,000 of that. When towing the trailer, it was frequently at 20,000 cgvw.

Replaced one transmission, rebuilt 1 transmission and one engine (83 with 300 cu in 6 cyl) and one rear end.

We had Tommy Lifts on the backs of all of them and routinely loaded them to 12,000 gvw.

We changed oil every 5,000 miles. Did the trans & diffs every 50,000. Lube is cheaper than engines, transmissions and differentials.

Two vans had the 300 cu in 6 cyls, one was a 351, three were 460's and 11 had V-10's.

Can honestly say the reason we didn't buy any more 6 cyl's were we just plain over-worked them.

LOVED the old 460's but you didn't need a gas guage as they got 10 mpg loaded or empty.

Was skeptical of the V-10's. Came to like them as they'd haul a load down the highway at Interstate Speeds all day long without a problem and went 100,000 miles between plug changes.

According to the required DOT Maintenance Records, my Fords cost me 4 cents per mile operating cost with tires/repairs/maintenance. I'd bet that beats Chevy and Dodge.

You couldn't have given me a Dodge and GM/Chevy's were re-designed so you couldn't hang a tommy lift on them.

*Ford has done the same now with the new "Euro" style vans.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#19 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:23 am

Correct. As I keep saying and witnessed all over this area, most fleet vehicles are Fords. They can handle severe duty/fleet service unlike GM and Dodge which tend to be "homeowner grade" vs heavy duty.

Love the V-10s. Ford haters rip on them despite them being rock solid. They are excellent motors.

I have a less than brilliant brother in law that hates on Ford even though he's never actually owned a Ford product. Had a Blazer, trans around 60k miles. Then, he bought a Silverado. Trans, electric and power window motors, ate rotors like all GM products do. Ended up threatening to sue the dealer, dealer sold him a GMC which he had for a year before it started getting recalls, water leaks, etc. Nav system was a nightmare with the screen going dark.

Eventually went to a Ram which was worse.

Sold that, now has a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Told him to call me when he buys a Ford since he's has all these vehicles during the same time I've had my F-150. For the money he spent on his Dodges and GMs, he could've owned a vacation home and a Ford truck.

Oh...his police dept. contracted out to buy all new Ford Tauruses. He loves them, but since he's a Ford hater like these 2, he can't admit it's a superior product.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

woolznaz

#20 Post by woolznaz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm up there with you on the miles. 323,000 now and counting. '99 4Runner that still cleans up pretty well.
Attachments
320k.JPG
320k.JPG (88.8 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
rt frnt qrtr.jpg
rt frnt qrtr.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

woolznaz

#21 Post by woolznaz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:28 pm

lakerunner wrote:Why does 90% of Chevy vehicles have only one parking light that works? Betty had 2 older body Cameros and both had signal light problems.
Funny you mention that. We notice it on their trucks from early 2000's to recent body styles. Silvarados, Sierras, Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans.... They almost all have one light working. We call them "one light GMs" and see them everywhere. I think it was their daytime running lights that look like park lights that were just garbage. You'll see them everywhere if you look for them on the truck models listed above. Also, when you see them both off, I'm pretty sure they are just BOTH burnt out, so the problem/defect is even more widespread then it appears because those (with both lights out) are not as obvious as the ones with one of the lights working. Watch these truck models and you'll see hundreds of them running around. I don't know who GM used for those lights, but they have struggled with this for a decade or more.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

Sqlightnning

#22 Post by Sqlightnning » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:03 am

woolznaz wrote:
lakerunner wrote:Why does 90% of Chevy vehicles have only one parking light that works? Betty had 2 older body Cameros and both had signal light problems.
Funny you mention that. We notice it on their trucks from early 2000's to recent body styles. Silvarados, Sierras, Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans.... They almost all have one light working. We call them "one light GMs" and see them everywhere. I think it was their daytime running lights that look like park lights that were just garbage. You'll see them everywhere if you look for them on the truck models listed above. Also, when you see them both off, I'm pretty sure they are just BOTH burnt out, so the problem/defect is even more widespread then it appears because those (with both lights out) are not as obvious as the ones with one of the lights working. Watch these truck models and you'll see hundreds of them running around. I don't know who GM used for those lights, but they have struggled with this for a decade or more.

Those year models are horrible about the daytime running light sockets burning up. Usually people just pull the other bulb instead of repairing it.
20' Leisure Kraft
115 Mercury

illinoid

#23 Post by illinoid » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Never noticed it til today but I just got back from town where I saw several one eyed Chevy trucks.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

BobG

#24 Post by BobG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Shoot, I bought my F-250 with 107,000 miles on it.
But it's only used for runs to the lumber yard, hauling the camper and/or the boat.
Probably has 125,000 on it now, 5 years later.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

hyper

#25 Post by hyper » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 am

badmoonrising wrote:Correct. As I keep saying and witnessed all over this area, most fleet vehicles are Fords. They can handle severe duty/fleet service unlike GM and Dodge which tend to be "homeowner grade" vs heavy duty.

Love the V-10s. Ford haters rip on them despite them being rock solid. They are excellent motors.

I have a less than brilliant brother in law that hates on Ford even though he's never actually owned a Ford product. Had a Blazer, trans around 60k miles. Then, he bought a Silverado. Trans, electric and power window motors, ate rotors like all GM products do. Ended up threatening to sue the dealer, dealer sold him a GMC which he had for a year before it started getting recalls, water leaks, etc. Nav system was a nightmare with the screen going dark.

Eventually went to a Ram which was worse.

Sold that, now has a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Told him to call me when he buys a Ford since he's has all these vehicles during the same time I've had my F-150. For the money he spent on his Dodges and GMs, he could've owned a vacation home and a Ford truck.

Oh...his police dept. contracted out to buy all new Ford Tauruses. He loves them, but since he's a Ford hater like these 2, he can't admit it's a superior product.

I run a large fleet and we have over 150 f150 ford trucks. I myself drive a Chevy for my company use. We DO NOT buy fords because they can handle the fleet use, far from the truth. We buy them because they are cheaper. Not better than chevy or dodge. Just plain cheaper and mostly under powered. You need to research what you write before you make statements like that. My father worked for Ford for 22 years, And yes we dont have a ford in the family. They are not what they are made out to be. Ford has the best body, worst engines, Chevy has a average body and best transmissions. Dodge has the Best Diesel and worst Dash....all of them have problems but ford is the worst in our fleet.
2003 Sunchaser 824 by Smokercraft
2003 50HP Elpto 2 stroke
Pulled by a Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Cowracer

#26 Post by Cowracer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:02 am

I remember when dads old 72 impala wagon rolled over 100,000 miles. It was like an "Event". All the neighbors came around, congratulating him just like he had another kid. Back in the day, 100k was a huge deal. Now its almost a given.

Currently my fleet's mileage is 199K on my Excursion. 175K on the wife's Rav4. 165K on my sons Jeep, 180K on the other boys 626 and my 97 olds work car is the baby of the fleet with only 157K. And I wouldn't have a moments hesitation about getting in ANY of them right now and driving to any corner of the country.

Tim
2001 Bennington 2575 RL with a 125 Mercury -"Pussy Control"

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD (slightly more than 125HP)

2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide

2014 Rockwood Roo 21SSL Camper

My Project Pages: [url]http://cowracer.blogspot.com/[/url]

mzodarg

#27 Post by mzodarg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:40 am

Only 2200 miles on this one.

[color=#0000FF]2015 Sun Tracker 22' DLX Fishn Barge-Schwintek power Bimini-Merc Eco Monitor
2015 Mercury 90hp (Simon Motorsports tuned )Command Thrust FourStroke[b] not worth the coin

[/color]

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#28 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Hmm. All fleets in this area switched to Ford years ago. That would be trucking, emergency, police and towing fleets. If you drive into a Ford dealership, their trucks cost a lot more than any comparable Dodge or Chevy. Not sure where you got the "cheaper" data from.

I actually am an ASE Certified tech, former Chevy guy. Sorry, but GM quality has gone down hill in the last 5 years, Dodge was always 3rd. Ford overtook domestic quality in the mid 80s and never fell back. A friend of mine just rolled over 14,000 miles on his '15 Grand Caravan. Transmission started slipping, dealer said it was a software update. They did the software update, same issue.
Seems Dodge still can't build a transmission no matter who currently owns the company.

Another buddy, '14 Silverado, been recalled so many times he traded it in on a Toyota, another brand loyal GM lover, Ford hater.

Pretty much everyone I know who own Fords, no issues. All of mine sold over 200k miles, current truck is 17 years old, very little body rust. No GM or Dodge goes 3-4 year without rust through these days.

Oh and I'll leave this right here. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Attachments
onemillion.jpg
onemillion.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD