oil change

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dr5274

oil change

#1 Post by dr5274 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 am

it's that time of year when I do my oil change. this will be the 2nd change, and I think I want to try it myself this time. :D

details:
Mercury 60hp Bigfoot, 4 stroke

questions:
-do these motors have a drain? or do you have to suck it out?
-does it require special oil? or just the regular stuff since it's a 4 stroke?
-who carries the filters for these?

Of course I'll be looking in the manual for these answers, too, but since I'm at work I wanted to get a head start :)
2004 Crest II LM 22'
Mercury 60hp Bigfoot EFI
Lake Travis, Central Texas

Lindsay90

#2 Post by Lindsay90 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:12 am

Hi Dr,
I just did my 75hp 4 stroke it was real easy! I do say next time I will buy that thing to suck out the oil cause she spits out of the drain hole and I got it all over the driveway and yes I had stuff to catch it but it shot out. I got all my oil from West Marine anything is better than getting it at a boat shop $$. Try to stick to OEM my West Marine carried all Merc stuff, and just read your manual that is all you need it will guide you and you should be done in a 1hr at the most.
Jason.

dr5274

#3 Post by dr5274 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:02 am

Thanks....there's a new West Marine close by....I'll stop in and see what they got
2004 Crest II LM 22'
Mercury 60hp Bigfoot EFI
Lake Travis, Central Texas

Heatman

#4 Post by Heatman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:07 pm

I just recently went to a West Marine store near for the 1st time and was shocked at the high prices. Maybe it's just the one here but things I use alot like Yamalube 2 stroke oil was $25.99 a gallon and I've never paid more than $21.99 even at the dealer. I guess I'm saying the dealer isn't always the highest priced, shop around. I buy alot of my stuff at Gander Mountain.
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

Prospector

#5 Post by Prospector » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:52 pm

I have a 60HP BigFoot 4 stroke also. I only use Mercury Quicksilver 4-Stroke (not 4 cycle oil), and a Quicksilver oil filter (part number has a Q4 at the end). I get them both at Bass Pro Shops or at Gander Mountain. I highly recommend using the OEM oil and filter - my engine is still in warranty and I do not want to give Mercury any reason to refuse warranty due to lube use. Engine takes three quarts of oil. I suggest you also get a Quicksilver oil filter cap tool to remove the old filter - it really helps. I do not suck my oil out but I could. Just tilt the engine and raise it so the drain plug is at its most bottom positon. Remove the plug slowly because a gush of oil will initially flow. Boaters World also carries Quicksilver 4 stroke oil and filters. I don't know what marine stores you have in Texas besides West Marine.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out Of The Way

2002 22' Harris Sunliner
2001 60HP Big Foot Merc 4-Stroke
Lake Norman, NC