Replacing docking light/navigation light enclosure

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ToddS

Replacing docking light/navigation light enclosure

#1 Post by ToddS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi all-
We bought a 22' Sweetwater w/ Yamaha 115 4-Stroke back in October. Took it out once before the weather turned cold here in Maryland.

I've got my punch list of projects to do, but this one has me a little stumped and looking for advice.

The docking lights/navigation lights are in enclosures on the front of the fence (is that the correct term). The enclosures are cracked and have some holes in them.

A few questions:
1) Can I get replacements for these enclosures that don't cost a fortune? I can fabricate something, but would rather spend my time/effort elsewhere.
2) I was looking at some newer models and they have the docking lights on the very front of the deck, closer to the water line. Thoughts on putting some LED headlights there?

If I remove the enclosures and move the lights, any advice on how the patch the holes?

Thanks,
Todd

P.S.-I know the rules, if there's no pictures, it didn't happen. Need to find those and post.
Boatfront.JPG
Boatfront.JPG (382.18 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

Reiner

Re: Replacing docking light/navigation light enclosure

#2 Post by Reiner » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 am

Drill the rivets out with a small drill which probably will remove that entire piece. Fix it with some fiberglass, spray paint and put it back in with SS rivets. At this time you can replace your lights as well if you have to. Shouldn't be a lot of $$ and a fairly easy fix. You may have some kind of silicon behind the rivets to pry it loose from.
Looking at your nav light, is it red & green? Isn't it to be just red on your port side?
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

ToddS

Re: Replacing docking light/navigation light enclosure

#3 Post by ToddS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:36 am

Good observation on the navigation light. Looks like it is green on the inside.

I like the idea of fiberglassing it then reprinting . I'd rather spend the money on switching to LED lights.

Todd