vinyl flooring vs sea grass

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

zoraduntov

Re: vinyl flooring vs sea grass

#16 Post by zoraduntov » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm

I upgraded to seagrass flooring on my Premier. I liked the feel barefooted. I was concerned about the durability vs vinyl. Naturally the salesman assured me that it was good stuff. I have only had the pontoon for one season. Only time will answer the durability issue.

However, I would be hesitant to get seagrass on a boat that I was using for fishing. I would be concerned about fish hooks harming the floor.
2015 Premier Sunsation 23 RF 115 hp Merc

googoo2

#17 Post by googoo2 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:43 pm

is anyone using infinity woven vinyl? if so, what is your opinion of it? I see the post about dark teak vinyl staying cool in texas. what brand is it?

DSwatloski

#18 Post by DSwatloski » Sun May 22, 2016 4:44 am

Vinyl hands down. Carpet - NO, Sea grass - NO.... boats get sand, dirt, drinks and food on the deck. You will not regret it. I have had carpet on my first toon and never again. Sea grass would be even worse... ketchup and mustard, wet cookie.... ack!!! My vinyl does not get hot... it stays warm in the direct sun, but not hot. It it did get hot a bucket of water, to wash away what I just spilled solves the spill and the warm deck.
Dave Swatloski, Northern, VA Lake Anna
2015 Harris 220 CWX - 2015 Mercury 4-Stroke 115 HP Command Thrust, Road King Tandem Axle/w disc brakes
Former 2003 Seapro CC, Yamaha 115 HP 4-Stroke
Former 1990 SunTracker Party Barge 24' Tracker 90 HP 2-Stroke

Sosjtb

#19 Post by Sosjtb » Sun May 22, 2016 7:13 am

googoo2 wrote:is anyone using infinity woven vinyl? if so, what is your opinion of it? I see the post about dark teak vinyl staying cool in texas. what brand is it?
I plan on installing it in the next week, ordered the #4 teak with HD padding, I'll keep you posted after the install. I'm in Texas so I'll also let you know if it gets hot or not.

joe20toon

#20 Post by joe20toon » Sun May 22, 2016 8:31 am

I went with vinyl for flooring since my boat is used, at times, for fishing. Color was also a factor in deciding what flooring to get. I liked both gray and beige colors. It wasn't hard to decide after breaking out the 'temp gun.' It does get hot here in Florida... The lighter beige color is much cooler. Temperatures were taken in the summer noon day heat. There was absolutely no breeze at the dealer's lot.
Attachments
deckTemp2d.jpg
deckTemp2d.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
deckTemp1d.jpg
deckTemp1d.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

Strake

#21 Post by Strake » Sun May 22, 2016 9:13 am

We've got the fake gray Teak Vinyl flooring and LOVE it........

Only once or twice have I thought it seemed hot to my feet. Not bad enough to run for shade though. I would NOT have carpet again in a boat, ever. If choosing between the Sea Grass and Vinyl, which we did a year and half ago, we didn't even consider the Sea Grass..... I wanted simple, ease of cleaning, something that will hold up over time, something that is less likely to have any issues with sun UV fading, etc. VERY happy with our choice.
Attachments
Berkshire Vinyl Hatch.JPG
Berkshire Vinyl Hatch.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 5011 times
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB

tritooner

#22 Post by tritooner » Sun May 22, 2016 10:52 am

Last year when we were looking for a new boat, we looked at both. I can tell you both the brown and gray imitation teak were surprisingly cool considering the weather conditions. It was hot with sun blaring on the deck of the boats we looked at.
2014 Regency 254xp3
275HP Verado

JNorris79

#23 Post by JNorris79 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:30 am

My new Crest has sea grass and I really like it so far. It seems durable. I did notice this weekend that it will get pretty hot. Especially went docked in the sun at my lot with no one on it. It does however cool off very fast once we are cruising or we get any water on it at all. I would imagine vinyl would be ever worse, but I have no experience with it.

Some of the kids did get some mud on it this weekend and I was a little concerned. However once it dried I was able to simple sweep it off. Do cleaning like my old carpet.

I also really like the feel of it. Overall I'm very impressed with the sea grass.
2015 Crest II 230 SLE Tritoon
115 Mercury CT
Strakes and Underskinning

MattGent

#24 Post by MattGent » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 am

I used the light grey Maridek vinyl flooring over plywood. It has held up well, and I greatly prefer it over carpet. It does however get warm in the South FL sun, and it has held some mildew in a few areas that don't get direct sunlight where it is kept.

A splash of water cools it off quickly, but I have to look out for the dog paws in the summer if I'm not barefoot myself.

MikePNJ

#25 Post by MikePNJ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Here is my two cents on this topic ...

I just bought my new Tritoon with the fake teak flooring. Wow it can get crazy hot! I will need to read the temps next time I get a chance. It's a pvc product so imagine how hot your seats feel if they are sitting in the direct sun.

I love the look and ease of cleaning on this floor. You can also splash water over it to cool it down or keep the bimini up. I've had vinyl floors on a previous boat and it was cool to walk on, no problems.

The seagrass I would only be concerned with how well it can be cleaned and longevity of it holding up. I think it looks great though!
Mike P
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
[url]http://www.RepairProsNJ.com[/url]
Leather, Vinyl & Fabric restoration experts

2016 Harris Cruiser 220 tritoon Perf Pkg + w/150 HP Merc & Enertia 15P
2013 Harris Cruiser 200 SL in w/60HP Merc 4 stroke (sold)

Lt. Dan

#26 Post by Lt. Dan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm

I just toss water on my seagrass to clean it. Nothing sticks and it does not pick. I love it.
2015 Bennington 24 SSXR triple tube with Yamaha 150
1988 Intec Island Cruiser

Bryden24shp

#27 Post by Bryden24shp » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:28 am

We have the Sea Grass, Luna in this new Manitou and will always get it in the future. Super easy to clean. It gets hot, when the sun is baring down on it, but not as hot as my tan carpet in the Premier did. It got HOT! The blue carpet in the first Manitou, it got unbearably hot. So far it has seen a few nasty spills, they wipe right up. If it needs a slight brooming, it sweeps right out the front or rear gate, real easy. And when pulling down the interstate, its self cleaning. We always tow the boat naked, and pull the snap in's out. It poured on us in Jefferson City. By the time the rain let up and we got to Osage Beach (another hours drive) the floor was completely dry. The water blew right off the stern. I won't get anything else but the Sea Grass in future boats.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html