Trailer Guides

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JNorris79

Trailer Guides

#1 Post by JNorris79 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:02 am

I want to put trailer guides to help me get my Tritoon loaded. Any suggestions? Don't want to break the bank. Thanks.
2015 Crest II 230 SLE Tritoon
115 Mercury CT
Strakes and Underskinning

COTTS4x4

Re: Trailer Guides

#2 Post by COTTS4x4 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Here's what I did, works great.
Attachments
Guides2.jpg
Guides2.jpg (124.83 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
Guides 1.jpg
Guides 1.jpg (127.13 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
[b][i]
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Triple Toon
T.O.T.A.L. Package - 150 Yamaha
[/i][/b]

JNorris79

#3 Post by JNorris79 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:33 am

Where did you order the guides? That looks like exactly what I need. I don't want to damage my strakes and what you have there appears to guide above them.
2015 Crest II 230 SLE Tritoon
115 Mercury CT
Strakes and Underskinning

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:58 am

Overton's is a big seller of trailer guides.

That reminds me that i really need to adjust mine closer to the insides of the outer toons. Every time I put my boat on my trailer, it's never centered properly on the trailer--to one side or the other.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Gonefishing

#5 Post by Gonefishing » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:45 am

Check out 4 c invention
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

SamiGuy

#6 Post by SamiGuy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Maybe try etrailers.com. Bought from them a couple of times. Tech support was outstanding!
Sami
PS..I just put 4 post guides on mine. Had a bit of an issue on first outing, but brought it back in and raised my rear two post about 10". Will let you know how it works out for my "bi-toon"
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Yamaha F115LA

crspang

#7 Post by crspang » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:21 am

If you're handy at all, they're super easy to make. Use 1/½" unistrut, as uprights and 2x4s for spans. Less than $50 materials.

steveiam

#8 Post by steveiam » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:17 am

Gonefishing wrote:Check out 4 c invention
Plus 1 on the 4c--

I'm pretty sure there are two tube folks looking at this thread also because of the title--
If so check out the 4-c website, I know there are many that load with no problems but for me I just always seemed to have trouble loading and it made it to where I dreaded the end of the day when it was time to load up, I actually had to get help a few times when at the ramp, and it was just embarrassing some times.
After looking at the 4-c set up I made my own version of it and it has made a TON of difference, Loading became EASY!
And I thought I would never say that-
I can load by myself now in any wind-
Here is a couple of pics of what I did, hope it helps someone like it did me-
Attachments
Trailer loading.jpg
Trailer loading.jpg (152.8 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
trailer loading help 2.jpg
trailer loading help 2.jpg (177 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

SamiGuy

#9 Post by SamiGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Now I like that!! I did take mine out today with the "modified" post. Really help as I could see the post. Slid right on and centered it perfect. If I ever have the want or need to modify from post, I will certainly look hard at that set-up! Good job!!
Sami
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Yamaha F115LA

Dragon1

#10 Post by Dragon1 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a 24' Trail Star trailer and it has 2 sets of inboard rollers. They are located on the foward-most 2 trailer cross pieces.
It would seem that one of these sets could/should be moved aft and be mounted on the 3rd aft or last cross piece? Current is factory placement, as there are no mounting holes in the 3rd or last cross-piece

We're just gettin to know the 'toon and am looking for ways to make it a little easier to load - we'll have typical cross winds at the ramp. The first time loading (yes trailer was too far in) it was tough to get the aft end into the 'grooves'

Many thanks for your input
'08 SunTracker PB 24
Merc 60 BF EFI, Tracker Trlr
Lake Nacimiento, Ca.

Dragon1

#11 Post by Dragon1 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 pm

after taking a closer look - the 2 pair of front guides are pretty short and would dissappear under water - so I left them in place and added a 'taller' set on the rear trailer crossbar. much better..........
'08 SunTracker PB 24
Merc 60 BF EFI, Tracker Trlr
Lake Nacimiento, Ca.

rsscoggins

#12 Post by rsscoggins » Fri May 27, 2016 12:11 pm

COTTS4x4 wrote:Here's what I did, works great.

So we have a tritoon on order (actually picking it up next week). We used to keep our boats on a lift at the marina but it got so expensive that we ended up selling the boat (among other reasons).

I haven't had a boat in 3 years (had jet skis, pain in the backside) so we ordered a pontoon but will be trailering it. This is my wife's biggest concern - getting the damn thing back on the trailer.

Pontoon boats are tall with flat sides and the lakes here in North Texas don't have ramps that are protected from wind usually - there were times with other boats that I would literally have to come in at a 90 degree angle to the trailer and the wind would blow the back of the boat around. She is concerned that a pontoon will be even more challenging. Nothing like having a great day on the lake and then being pissed off at the boat ramp! You want some good entertainment, just go to the boat ramp with a cooler of beer and a lawn chair at the end of a holiday weekend and watch the folks loading their boats. Good times!

The last boat was a tunnel hull / catamaran that had bunks under the tunnel - when putting on the trailer, these bunks were exposed (not under water) and if you got the bunks between the tunnel, you were golden - no way the wind could blow you around.

So I like what you have on your trailer BUT - aren't you afraid of that bare metal post facing the inside of the center log of the tritoon? I can see that causing damage unless you are lined up exactly straight. I see that overtons has these center posts but they are round and have pvc pipe on them that will rotate if the toons touch. Anyone tried them?

These ( http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ir&i=81038 )

or these ( http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ir&i=74124 )

along with a set of these (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... &from=grid )

might just do the trick....maybe?

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Fri May 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Trying to get a pontoon/tritoon back on the trailer is reason of concern when the conditions are not exactly perfect. And they're especially a handful when you're trying to load the trailer by yourself. It's nice not to have any laws prohibiting powering the boat on to the trailer.

The above posts guides are what you don't want to use on a pontoon boat. They'll dent your toons in some situations, especially on windy days.

My trailer has 10' long horizontal carpeted bunks running inside the outside toons--starting about 4' from the rear of my trailer.

When I put the boat on the trailer yesterday, I was using a very good, but steep boat ramp. I only 3' of bunks on the front end were out of the water, so I was very fortunate not to have any waves or crosswinds. I plan to lengthen the rear vertical supports as tall as I can to get the guides more parallel to the water Hopefully that will get the rear of the bunks out of the water--more effective in a heavy cross wind. I also plan to adjust my bunks to within 4 inches of my outside toons as they're too far from the toons right now.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Reiner

#14 Post by Reiner » Fri May 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Bamaman wrote:Trying to get a pontoon/tritoon back on the trailer is reason of concern when the conditions are not exactly perfect. And they're especially a handful when you're trying to load the trailer by yourself. It's nice not to have any laws prohibiting powering the boat on to the trailer.

The above posts guides are what you don't want to use on a pontoon boat. They'll dent your toons in some situations, especially on windy days.

My trailer has 10' long horizontal carpeted bunks running inside the outside toons--starting about 4' from the rear of my trailer.

When I put the boat on the trailer yesterday, I was using a very good, but steep boat ramp. I only 3' of bunks on the front end were out of the water, so I was very fortunate not to have any waves or crosswinds. I plan to lengthen the rear vertical supports as tall as I can to get the guides more parallel to the water Hopefully that will get the rear of the bunks out of the water--more effective in a heavy cross wind. I also plan to adjust my bunks to within 4 inches of my outside toons as they're too far from the toons right now.
Lengthen the rear vertical post is a good solution to loading under windy conditions. I try not to back the trailer up to far so the stern of the boat is still floating above the bunks. That way my horizontal guides pushing the boat nicely centered on and I can do this also with low speed. Once on I let the motor do the rest.

[URL=http://s604.photobucket.com/user/g ... .jpg[/img]/url]
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

Gonefishing

#15 Post by Gonefishing » Sat May 28, 2016 10:28 am

Check out 4c innovention I have their loading guide system on mine and love it. Windy days not a problem at all and I am mostly by my self when out. That was the main reason I purchased it. Very easy to install and works great.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch