Do you really need a trailer?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

GirlfridayLOZ

Do you really need a trailer?

#1 Post by GirlfridayLOZ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:04 am

Hi!
We're shopping for our first pontoon and plan to leave it in the dock on a lift year 'round. Do we really need to spend the money on a trailer? One dealer said "no" and would loan us one to get it to the dock. Another said "yes" that they are built specifically for each boat and would question anyone who said otherwise. Please help!

Bamaman

Re: Do you really need a trailer?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:35 am

Pontoon boat trailers are a rarity on my lake, as most are hanging in boat houses. And local dealers do have loaner trailers. Many neighbors on the lake have trailers they're willing to lend.

Pontoon trailers are somewhat generic--and come basically in 2 sizes. Up to 20' or 22'--single axle. And the longer version for the heavier 24' boats. The winch towers are adjustable if there's too much or too little tongue weight.

All that said, I did purchase a new trailer with my Bennington. It gives me the ability to take care of maintenance so much better--hauling the boat to my city house for cleanup and changing the lower unit grease. It also gives me the capabilities of hauling the boat to other nearby lakes for different cruising experiences. And we have many great lakes within 2 hours of here. We still intend to to our boat to Chattanooga and take a 2 day cruise downriver--staying in Guntersville at the Hampton Inn as they have boat docks.

The biggest downside to having a trailer is you've got to have a place to park it. Thankfully I do have room at our lakehouse.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

teecro

#3 Post by teecro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 am

GirlfridayLOZ wrote:Hi!
We're shopping for our first pontoon and plan to leave it in the dock on a lift year 'round. Do we really need to spend the money on a trailer? One dealer said "no" and would loan us one to get it to the dock. Another said "yes" that they are built specifically for each boat and would question anyone who said otherwise. Please help!
Short answer is NO you do not NEED a trailer but you might want a trailer... If you have access to one when needed and you plan on leaving on a lift or even wet 24/7 then the answer really is no. While I leave mine wet 24/7 I have a trailer as I don't like to borrow anything from anyone and there is no marina or dealer that I would care to rent one from.... While trailers need to be fitted to your boat as long as the width is the same and most pontoons are one of two widths...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Another no trailer person here. Like you, my dealer will loan me one if needed.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

JerEazy

#5 Post by JerEazy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:52 pm

I would say it depends on where you are located and what you intend to do with the boat - If you're going to be happy cruising your local waters all the time. You're not so far north that you have to worry about freezing issues and a local marina is going to do all your maintenance - then you can get away without the trailer.

I say "get away with" because the other side is all "What if's" - and in my experience, the "What if's" of boating can add up.

What if you move? Rent a trailer or pay someone to move it for you? Could cost a few hundy.
What if you want to go to another lake? (which almost everyone wants to do at some point)
What if you want to go to the Keys? Could just rent a boat down there....
What if you need to get some work done and the marina on the lake screwed you last time? Have someone come to you and do it? That adds up...
What if you decide to do the work yourself? Can you reach it on the dock?
What if you want to sell the boat? Some people like to be able to trailer....
I'm not sure if the dock is yours or you will be renting it. But, what if you run into my situation and you just get tired of paying someone else just for the convenience of keeping your boat there instead of your driveway?

For the extra $1000 - $2000 for the trailer (assuming you have a place to keep it) It's worth it just to avoid the "What if's"

That's my .02
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson

teecro

#6 Post by teecro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:00 pm

JerEazy wrote:... I'm not sure if the dock is yours or you will be renting it. But, what if you run into my situation and you just get tired of paying someone else just for the convenience of keeping your boat there instead of your driveway?
And for 180.00 bucks a year I don't even have to look at my trailer as it is stored in a secure location a few minutes from the house... Yes it all adds up but no one gets a boat because we are poor, we get a boat and become poor!
T CRO

GirlfridayLOZ

#7 Post by GirlfridayLOZ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks, all.

The trailer prices are much higher than I expected, $3000-5600, depending on the boat we saw. Yeah, only about ~10%, but that money could buy a lot of beer! Not to mention the personal property tax due to Missouri each year. We have a free place to store the trailer, I don't expect to take the boat out of the Lake of the Ozarks, and I own the dock... just want to understand my options from those with experience instead of a sales guy. :)

teecro

#8 Post by teecro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:13 pm

GirlfridayLOZ wrote:Thanks, all.

The trailer prices are much higher than I expected, $3000-5600, depending on the boat we saw. Yeah, only about ~10%, but that money could buy a lot of beer! Not to mention the personal property tax due to Missouri each year. We have a free place to store the trailer, I don't expect to take the boat out of the Lake of the Ozarks, and I own the dock... just want to understand my options from those with experience instead of a sales guy. :)
How big a pontoon? 3,500.00 should get you a tandem axles with brakes suitable for at least a 24 foot pontoon...

Thus far my opinion of sales dude as compared to a snake, I'd trust the snake before the sales dude...
T CRO

JerEazy

#9 Post by JerEazy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 am

teecro wrote:
JerEazy wrote:... I'm not sure if the dock is yours or you will be renting it. But, what if you run into my situation and you just get tired of paying someone else just for the convenience of keeping your boat there instead of your driveway?
And for 180.00 bucks a year I don't even have to look at my trailer as it is stored in a secure location a few minutes from the house... Yes it all adds up but no one gets a boat because we are poor, we get a boat and become poor!
Haha! Damn right on that. I keep mine on the trailer in covered storage around the corner for $50 a month compared to the last boat that was $380 at the high and dry.

It all comes down to preference. But for the prices they are giving the OP he would be better off buying aftermarket than paying what they are suggesting...
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson

landlockedsailor

#10 Post by landlockedsailor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:07 am

We've had toon on KY Lake for 4 yrs. Our own dock. Who needs to go anywhere but here? Have a trailer. Used it once to haul boat out to add hydraulic steering. The guys doing the work could have hauled it for us. The trailer is PITA for storage. When we sell our boat, the new owner will be getting pristine trailer, at my expense. :roll:

Guess I better change my signature line. :lol3
Landlocked Sailor
2011 SunTracker 21' Fishin' Barge
2007 Mercury 60 HP EFI Four-Stroke BigFoot
2014 Never-Been-in-the-Water Suntracker Trailer