Choosing a boat - Suggestions appreciated

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Sholly

Choosing a boat - Suggestions appreciated

#1 Post by Sholly » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:21 pm

I’m looking for a boat that will be used mainly for my brother-in-law and myself to fish. My brother-in-law is handicapped, so I figure a pontoon boat would be the safest. I’ve been looking at either a 16’ or 18’ since it will mostly just be the 2 of us, and I don’t expect to ever have more than 7 people on the boat. Also, does anyone have experience with either putting a harness on a boat seat or securing a wheelchair?
Bill & Cheryl
2017 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18
Mercury 75 ELPT 4S

MH Hawker

Re: Choosing a boat - Suggestions appreciated

#2 Post by MH Hawker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:31 pm

at least a 22 foot for the 2 of you that has enough room to move a chair around and at least a 26 foot for 7
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

Gonefishing

#3 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Agree at least a 22 footer that will give enough room for a wheelchair. As for a harness if you are wanting to secure the chairmwhile moveing I would check with an auto parts and see about getting the same wheelchair locks they use in a van that are mounted to the floor. That way you have something permanent and is safe.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

ralph

#4 Post by ralph » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Good advise from all. Only thing I can add is to make sure he wears a lifejacket not only on the boat but on the dock too and to be careful in your thinking of harnessing him into a seat. Bad things happen very quickly on the water and you may not have time to release him.

Very kind of you to include your B-I-L on your fishing trips. It's not easy. I know because my wife is handicapped, but she still can enjoy the boat.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

zoom650

Re: Choosing a boat - http://www.qstraint.com/en_na/

#5 Post by zoom650 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:36 pm

http://www.qstraint.com/en_na/

I think you'll find what you're looking for here.

We used these in my mother's handicap van. My brother has a small non-medical transport service and he uses the tracks and straps in his van.

They've got several different methods of restraint, be it adjustable or fixed.

Also, you didn't mention new boat or used. Looking at boats, I've seen wheelchair boarding ramps straight off the bow, so that would mean a wide enough front gate. The good thing is you have options.

Hope this helps!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:51 pm

You might want to check with a dealer to see if the front or side gates are wide enough to handle the width of a wheelchair. Maybe a manufacturer can configure a wider door--under the situation. Maybe the boat for him would exclude much of the seating--if you're going to be fishing.

There are others in the same condition enjoying boating.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Sholly

#7 Post by Sholly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:33 am

I really don't want to go larger than 18 if at all possible. I was looking at the Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16 & 18; both advertise a wheelchair access side door as standard, and other boats have them as optional upgrades. Looking at new or last years model.

I like the idea of the rails to fasten wheelchair, but I still need to talk my brother-in-law to use one. He is 62 years old and has always used arm crutches with his leg braces. He uses a harness or seatbelt in vehicles, but I understand the issues on a boat.
Bill & Cheryl
2017 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18
Mercury 75 ELPT 4S

willy13

#8 Post by willy13 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:35 pm

As someone else mentioned, pull some of the seats, and an 18 footer is certainly acceptable for a wheel chair. Just confirm that the boat is carpeted under the seats before buying.

zoom650

#9 Post by zoom650 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Don't worry about replying. Consider this food for thought.

You didn't say what kind of water you plan to fish? A Pond? Small Lake? If there's little to no wave action, or wakes from other boats, I'd bet you could likely get away with no chair restraint at all. Just set the wheel brakes.

Is the chair motorized? If it is, its heavy and would take a good jolt to bounce it around. You'll know real quick if you need more modification to keep the chair in place.

I looked at that Bass Buggy and I assume you're removing one of the bow fishing seats as place for him. If you're putting 7 adults on that 18 footer, you're asking a lot out of that small a boat.

You mentioned leg braces, so I'd be more concerned with adequate personal floatation device(s) if he rolled off the dock. Both for him, and the chair.

My mother went through 2 push chairs and 3 motorized ones during her years of rolling around. We always had to plan ahead and make sure we could transport her safely.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.