in a Pickle, need advice

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Toonnut86

in a Pickle, need advice

#1 Post by Toonnut86 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Ok guys, if you've followed along with my toon polishing and motor decal posts you have heard me say that I am getting my boat Ceramic coated.
from what I have heard from manufacturer and other detailing professionals that I know personally is. The boat must be surgically clean in order for the coating to adhere and do its job correctly.

This detailer was supposed to start working on my boat December 10th, I rented a 14x50 storage unit for him to work on it inside, provided him with heaters and electric/ lights ect. this process was sold to me stating it would take 3-4 days to complete. long story short, The guy never shows up to complete the work, I lifted the boat off the trailer for him and blocked it for him to coat the bottom December 29th. he has completed the top of the boat
(except the tower and the seats look splotchy) I called him last tuesday, never answers or calls back, I text him this tuesday, he answers, says the bottom is coated and i can sit in back on the trailer, and that he has minor touch up to do. I go over today to look over his work, and the bottom of the boat literally still has crud on it and looks like he didnt even clean it before coating.. if he even did coat it. So basically he was going to let me put it back down on the trailer... and get screwed because he hasn't completed the job thinking I am a idiot and would not notice.
Tried to contact him, no answer. I changed the lock on the storage unit.
What the hell do I DO!
I'm extremely frustrated and not thinking clearly. is something wrong with me for expecting this job to be done correctly? I'm also paying big money to have this done.... (haven't paid anything yet)

fredeboy

Re: in a Pickle, need advice

#2 Post by fredeboy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Well good news is "You Have Not Paid Anything Yet" :nana

Bill S.

#3 Post by Bill S. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Glad your not out any money except rental of storage. Tell him for now on you will meet him there when he wants finish it.
Bill & Janelle Shaw
Peoria, AZ
2016 Lowe SF232
w/Merc XP Pro 115

Toonnut86

#4 Post by Toonnut86 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 pm

[quote="Bill S."]Glad your not out any money except rental of storage. Tell him for now on you will meet him there when he wants finish it.[/quote]

I'm really not looking to babysit him, at this point I'm about ready to say screw it and do the rest myself, I've already contacted the CEO of the company who supply's the product and sent him photos of what this guy told me was a finished product. Hopefully I can talk him into sending me some product to finish. I feel like this happens to me all the time anymore, mechanics, contractors everyone just acts like they are doing you a favor when they are working for you. I don't get it, I'm a business owner myself and I always make sure that when I'm working for someone I leave them happy they called me at the end of the day. Nor would I ever ignore a phone call from a client without calling him or her back in a reasonable time frame.

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 am

well obviously you can't trust the guy... I would think your best option ( not that it's a good one ) is to come to an agreement with him and pay him for the work he has done to your satisfaction and then cut bait... fire him and look for someone else to complete the process.... after all, you said he started work on dec. 10th and he said it would only take 4 or 4 days..... well beyond the time frame he told you it would take the job.....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

MH Hawker

#6 Post by MH Hawker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 am

i wouldn't pay him a dime he didn't do the work and its costing you extra and i would find another vendor and if he comes around asking for money i would ask for your cost and deduct that from what ever he thinks he is owed
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

PlaynDoc

#7 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:48 am

i like the plan to pay for the satisfied work, then cut him loose.
certainly he did 'some' work, for which he's due compensation, but i'd find a new guy, that can deliver.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

willy13

#8 Post by willy13 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:03 am

"except the tower and the seats look splotchy", if he did a poor job on the top I would not pay anything yet. It could cost more to fix the issue.

I have never heard of ceramic coating boats. Is this the same tech that people put on there exhaust headers?

I would be interested to see pictures to see what kind of job he did.

Toonnut86

#9 Post by Toonnut86 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 am

So I finally got ahold of him, after about 2 seconds of him giving me excuses I laid into him for about 20 min and made It clear that if the job is not completed to my satisfaction then I will be paying nothing. I think him being dishonest with me is the part that pisses me off the most. I've done anything I can to be accommodating to this guy and he has in turn basically tried to screw me. He won't be working on it unsupervised any longer and part of me hopes that he doesn't show up. And I'll pay someone else to finish the job and go back over what he did do.
Photos below are what I showed up to when he told me that it was ready to be put back on the trailer, earlier today he admitted he didn't coat the bottom at all only the polished part
Attachments
IMG_6204.JPG
IMG_6204.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5859 times
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 5854 times
IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6207.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5857 times

Toonnut86

#10 Post by Toonnut86 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 am

Also I can't resize a picture for some reason

hvymtl939

#11 Post by hvymtl939 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Yeah, that looks like hell. I wouldn't be happy.

joe20toon

#12 Post by joe20toon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 am

[quote="Toonnut86"]Also I can't resize a picture for some reason[/quote]

I know this is off topic.

I use IrfanView to resize pics.
Here's the link: http://www.irfanview.com/

It's easy once you go to "Image" then scroll down to "Resize/Sesample."
Once you are at the resize screen, on the right, click the drop down arrow and select "New Size."

Save image.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.57 KiB) Viewed 5700 times
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

Toonnut86

#13 Post by Toonnut86 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:52 am

[quote="joe20toon"][quote="Toonnut86"]Also I can't resize a picture for some reason[/quote]

I know this is off topic.

I use IrfanView to resize pics.
Here's the link: http://www.irfanview.com/

It's easy once you go to "Image" then scroll down to "Resize/Sesample."
Once you are at the resize screen, on the right, click the drop down arrow and select "New Size."

Save image.[/quote]

Any mobil apps, most of the photos i upload are from my iphone there is probably a way to do it on the iphone itself

MH Hawker

#14 Post by MH Hawker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

i use gimp
Attachments
IMG_6207 1.JPG
IMG_6207 1.JPG (219.46 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
IMG_6207 1.JPG
IMG_6207 1.JPG (219.46 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
IMG_6206 2 .JPG
IMG_6206 2 .JPG (119.68 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

Toonnut86

#15 Post by Toonnut86 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Update, he showed up today with 2 other guys, tore ass and scotch righted the entire bottom in 3 stages, got a smooth even finish in about 2 hours. Coated the entire bottom twice and cleaned and coated the entire wake tower. Did the job I expected to be done. After it sets for a day or two I'll lower it back on the trailer, he has two small spots to touch up on the bottom where it was blocked up and he is going to reapply on all the seats, and reinstall the tower and do a overall touch up and final inspection. So I guess my hardcore ass chewing worked... a shame it had to come to that... but he is doing the job I am paying him for and to the standard that I expect.