Prepping for a salt water slip

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ToddS

Prepping for a salt water slip

#1 Post by ToddS » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:11 am

I'm looking at my options this season for where to put my boat on the Chesapeake Bay (western side). Last year I had on trailer storage at a marina with a ramp. It was nice, but I'm looking to move elsewhere. I've not found a boatel that will take pontoons, and the few other places with trailer storage/ramp use combo are super expensive (more than slips/boatels). So I'm looking at getting a slip for the season.

I have a 2004 Tahoe with the Saltwater package, Yamaha F115. Previous owners kept it in the salt water and had the bottom painted; not sure when they last had it painted. I've owned it since October of 15.

A few questions: I've heard different things regarding getting the bottom painted every year, based on type of paint. Any input on this is appreciated. We typically get out almost twice weekly during the season (35+ times last year) so it's not going to sit.

I know there should be anodes on the boat (being the saltwater edition). I'll need to take a look at the condition, but figure if I'm storing in the water, it's a good time to replace. Any advice on that is appreciated.

Thanks!
Todd

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Prepping for a salt water slip

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I have anodes on my Berkshire SW Edition, on both mounting brackets on the aft end of the outer toons. As far as bottom paint, just ensure you are using a system compatible and made for aluminum. Regular ablative bottom coat that is used on fiberglass boats can be loaded with copper to prevent marine growth. Systems made for aluminum don't contain copper, such as: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2655362
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150