Painting my logs

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RonKMiller

Painting my logs

#1 Post by RonKMiller » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

My logs were manufactured in 1988 - and they were showing their age. Despite being that old they only had a few dings and scrapes, with a few dents in the nose cones. All in all in very good condition EXCEPT the aluminum surface was so corroded from exposure to hard water they could no longer be cleaned by conventional methods. I also had serious marine growth that had dried on them. I considered sand blasting, but was worried that it might take off too much and probably couldn't be done with detaching them from the boat. Steel wire wheels were considered but decided against since steel and aluminum do not get along well, not to mention they always shed wires - I think they're dangerous to work with at best. I ended up using coarse Nyalox wheels with a high speed industrial quality dril for $5 each from Amazon. Nyalox wheels are very stiff with Aluminum Oxide grit coating the "threads" that stick out. They don't shed or fall apart, just slowly wear down. I ordered 10 and went through 8 - not bad considering I had THREE 28' by 21" logs to clean. It was a LOT of tedious work over several days, but I finally had them stripped down to white metal. Shop goggles and a 3M protective dust mask was minimal protection.

I chose Aluthane paint for the coating for $100.00 a gallon.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluminum.html

I ended up going through 1.5 gallons for two coats. Aluthane is known as a moisture cured urethane (MCU) and cures in the presence of moisture - opposite almost all other types of paints. It's nasty stuff - FULL of solvents - so you need to wear an approved respirator or have copious amounts of fresh air (as in a stiff breeze) to work with it. If you get it on your skin and it dries you will NOT get it off. I wore full protective clothing with latex gloves and a face shield. The most interesting component of the paint is 25% aluminum powder, so it's a true metallic paint that will chemically bond with metal. It was said to give a "galvanized" look on smooth materials, and I ended up with a satin "sheen" look that is somewhat reflective. I was shocked to see the first coat fill in and flow over the deep scratches inflicted by the Nyalox wheels. The second coat went on smoothly. I liked the look so much I decided to paint the rest of the corroded matching trim to complete the look. In the pictures it looks battleship gray but is much more aluminum colored.

While it isn't listed as a submersible paint it apparently handles it well with reports of being used on anchors and boats in the water for 3 weeks at a time with no visible issues. It has been also used on submerged dock pilings with good results. Basically it forms a thin film that encapsulates the metal and is highly abrasion resistant. I'm not sure if marine growth in salt water will adhere, but they stick to just about anything. My main use is in fresh - but very hard - water. The real test for the paint will be to see how it holds up for several years... I'm considering a top coat of anti-fouling paint but my understanding is that it just doesn't work that well since copper was removed as a component.

This was a big, time consuming project, but I'm really pleased with how it looks now. I was literally embarrassed before since the logs looked terrible.
tp4r.jpg
tp4r.jpg (407.92 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
tp4r.jpg
tp4r.jpg
It has quite bit more shine than appears here:
tp4r.jpg
Attachments
tp3r-1.jpg
tp3r-1.jpg (313.07 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
tp2r.jpg
tp2r.jpg (347.55 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
tp1.jpg
tp1.jpg (331.9 KiB) Viewed 4928 times

Cpl0724

Re: Painting my logs

#2 Post by Cpl0724 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Very nice, I like that a lot!
Paul

2014 Lowe SS210 with Strakes and Underskin
2016 Mercury SeaPro 115hp 15x15 Enertia Prop
Lowrance Elite 7 Ti TotalScan

"Big Frankie"

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" ~ John Wayne

Rick McC.

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Excellent!
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 am

Nice let's see the full boat! How much have you changed in the last 2 years?
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Lt. Dan

#5 Post by Lt. Dan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 am

I see that BMW emblem on the side. I think they only made pontoons for one year. lol.
2015 Bennington 24 SSXR triple tube with Yamaha 150
1988 Intec Island Cruiser

RonKMiller

#6 Post by RonKMiller » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 am

You can't BELIEVE how many people take the bait. $2.00 each from China, but they fade in a couple of seasons so time to put some new ones on. On the back is another emblem with "750 il" in chrome letters under it.