First day on the water at Table Rock

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

OCBray

First day on the water at Table Rock

#1 Post by OCBray » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 am

First day on a new lake. Burned up some gas and did a little exploring. Wind steady at 15 gusting to 25. Was a good trip going with the wind but the trip back was a little rough. Decided to get out of the wind and found a cove to settle in for the day.

30 minutes later I knew we were going to have trouble with the anchor after the wind was blowing at 25 and we never moved an inch. Yep. First anchor drop for the year must have snagged a under water forest. After a half dozen attempts to get the anchor free, well we decided to cut the rope. Hate to leave something in the lake that does not belong there. But I'm no "Scuba Steve".

Not a great loss. Cheap anchor and about 60' of line.

Anyone have any experience with what is the best anchor to use there? My guess is the bottom is a lot of rock and some well placed trees. Doubt I find mud unless I head up the James.

Beautiful lake. Just need to find the right places to go and best gear to use. Should have the Lowrance installed and up and running for our next trip down.

curtiscapk

Re: First day on the water at Table Rock

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:10 am

Truman has a lot of timber with their mud. I use a 20# river anchor. No issues in 9 years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/21564573?wml ... 4=&veh=sem
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

fredeboy

#3 Post by fredeboy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 pm

After cutting several anchor ropes with different styles of anchors I ran across the Digger Anchor. If you get hung up in rocks or trees you just idle across where the anchor is and snap on the rope which releases a spring loaded pin. The anchor then flattens out and comes right up. I have been using it about three years now and no issues. The other thing is no chain required going to anchor. I give it 5 stars. :biggrin2
https://www.diggeranchor.com/

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Since we cruise in a few rivers and out in the Gulf; we have to be able to anchor on a variety of different bottoms.

I spearfish rock piles out in the Guf, and frequently get the anchor well dug in among rocks.

While I can swim down and pull the anchor and chain loose by hand; I don't need to.

All of my anchors are of a design that, while the chain normally pulls from the bottom end of the bar that runs between the flukes, the ring that the chain attaches to can travel in a slot up to a point between the flukes, allowing the anchor to be pulled up from the top end, freeing the flukes.

I don't know what to call it; but it's a design that I've been using for many years, and I can always get the anchor loose, no matter the type of bottom I'm anchored to.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

OCBray

#5 Post by OCBray » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I need to do some research. Weather in the midwest is on a roller coaster ride right now. Mid 80s next 2 days and then lo 50s for the weekend. So that will give me a couple of weeks to get a new set up. I appreciate all the input.

Ok its Miller time.....Cheers!

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 am

I have an uncle who lives on tablerock and keeps his boat in a slip there. Last time we were there we went out on the boat and i couldn't believe how clear ( and deep ) the water was.... we did a little fishing right off the dock next to his boat.. even right there the water was at least 20 to 30 feet deep... out in the middle of the lake I have no idea how deep it is but my uncle told me it was at least 100 feet deep... and the water was pristeen... beautiful lake.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

JNorris79

#7 Post by JNorris79 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 am

I love Table Rock lake, but I have lost a couple anchors there myself. Best bet is to slowly drive back over the top of your anchor. And by all means make sure no one holds onto the rope while boat is moving. I saw a guy have his nail complete ripped out of one of his fingers and was luck he wasn't completely de-gloved. Your guests, who may not be used to boats, don't realize how dangerous ropes can be.
2015 Crest II 230 SLE Tritoon
115 Mercury CT
Strakes and Underskinning

DonS

#8 Post by DonS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

Here is the anchor I'm going to try on my pontoon. http://www.basspro.com/Slide-Anchor-Box ... _connexity

In the 90's, I owned a 22' SeaRay Bow Rider. I used a fluke anchor that worked okay, but had it's moments. I've been reading all types of articles, posts and websites describing the best anchors. They all seem to be pointing to the box style anchor. No chain required and it folds up flat.
2017 SunTracker 22XP3
Tritoon 150 HP Mercury
Double Bimini

moregooder

#9 Post by moregooder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

As I am a Scuba Steve with hundreds of dives in Table Rock I can tell you with certainty that there is no anchor that is Table rock proof. I have found them all, Especially if you are anchoring in a cove or back water. Look up the bank at the rocky terrain and all those trees, that's just what it looks like under water only no leaves. Of all of them I would have to recommend the Digger. the releasable flukes give you the best chance of recovery. where ALL anchors fall short is as you pull forward over the set you may or may not wrap around a tree and as you gave it a little throttle the bow swung left or right wrapping the tree or multiple trees a little more, now its all over till I come along.
We launch out of Kimberling city and I have my favorite spots where the bigger boats can be found. nothing like stainless steel-some times the chain is worth more then the anchor.