Tilt and Trim Question from new guy

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dbclancy

Tilt and Trim Question from new guy

#1 Post by dbclancy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

Hello Everyone, Im new here and relatively new to pontoons. I have a 24' playbouy yatsman and it has no Tilt/Trim. Each time I launch I have to get waist deep in the water to lower the motor. I have looked into adding T/T but it is so expensive. I had an idea which i think will work, but wanted to run it buy the experts here. Has anyone ever tried using an air spring for tilting an outboard? Something like airlift used for suspension in trucks hauling heavy loads. They have the load capacity to tilt the heaviest motor and the plumbing would be simple. I've seen them for $40 on ebay.

Thanks.

Bamaman

Re: Tilt and Trim Question from new guy

#2 Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Your only option would be to get an electrically operated jack plate--around $1,000.

When I'm trailering my boat with 13" wheels, I really don't have to raise my motor to clear the bottom on our relatively steep boat ramps. The trim switch on my old two toon boat was broken, and I never trimmed the engine out--leaving at the same place all the time.

The reason I want tilt/trim is so I can get my nosecones of my new tritoon out of the water and get more fuel mileage and 10 mph more than plowing through the water.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 am

Ya, I agree with Bama. And if you are using the trailering tab, why not just lower it before launching so your not wading behind the boat? Not only is the water cold, but it can be wet, too! :) When you launch, the stern should float from the trailer enough that the LU shouldn't touch anything on the ramp that's under water.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

dbclancy

#4 Post by dbclancy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 am

If I put the motor down on the ramp the prop will drag. The only way would be to try to un-tilt it on board the boat, which means climbing up over back seats and crawling under the sundeck. I might try a hand winch to hold the motor while I back down the ramp.

Anyone have any experience with https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Eez-710 ... B00144CDD8
It is a 1974 85 hp johnson 2 stroke, it is probably too heavy.

Rick McC.

#5 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

How about putting a 2X4 board with a bit of rope attached between the motor and mount to hold it up just before backing it down the ramp.

When you're in the boat; put it in reverse momentarily. That should lift the motor just a bit, and allow the 2X4 to drop out. You can then pick it up by the rope.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

RcgTexas

#6 Post by RcgTexas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am

[quote]How about putting a 2X4 board with a bit of rope attached between the motor and mount to hold it up just before backing it down the ramp.

When you're in the boat; put it in reverse momentarily. That should lift the motor just a bit, and allow the 2X4 to drop out. You can then pick it up by the rope.
[/quote]

This^^^^^^^......if you don't have a trim unit this will work until you can get one. Its old school and we used it often.

Just a note.....No way I buy a motor without a trim unit ever again. like a truck in the woods with no four wheel drive.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

dbclancy

#7 Post by dbclancy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:17 am

Live and Learn, this is my last boat without tilt/trim.

I am still thinking about the air powered DIY tilt. I think I can pull it off for under $100

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-2500-Si ... ds=air+bag

RcgTexas

#8 Post by RcgTexas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't see why not. 500 psi would at least lift a motor up. maybe no trim but to clear the water or raise enough to clear obstacles should work. Let us know how you fare....
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Bamby

#9 Post by Bamby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:16 am

Might it or not be difficult or even impossible to back up without the motor being locked down. I know on our boat I often run trimmed high enough that I often loose lock down. All is fine though until I need to back up and hear the prop boiling on the surface. In my case all I haft to do in trim her on down to where she locks in put her in reverse again and get on with the program. How is yours going to lock down? Vacuum on the air bag?
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

dbclancy

#10 Post by dbclancy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 am

The board trick worked well for launching, I still had to get wet when putting her back on the trailer.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Gonefishing

#11 Post by Gonefishing » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm

IMG_0350.PNG
IMG_0350.PNG (637.23 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
I have used this in the past when I didn't have tilt or trim
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

rbtnt

#12 Post by rbtnt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Once in a while you can find a Dole manual trim unit for sale on Ebay. Here is a link to one that sold recently without the trim cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122246377144?rmvSB=true
https://picclick.com/Dole-Fluid-Power-P ... 77144.html

You close the valve on the control and pump the lever to raise the motor and open the valve to lower the motor. I had one that I used on a Mercury and then used the unit on an Evinrude. It had a universal lifting roller connected to a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the motor.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources