which would you choose

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

which would you choose

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Okay guys, time to cast your ballot.. as I stated in an earlier post, I am losing my rental spot at my boat storage building.. we talked about bringing the boat home and putting my a car port type shelter with sides.. but because of my yard, way too many trees and the need to add a partial driveway, we have pretty much nixed that idea.. there is another storage building just down the street from my old place, so it would still be great as far as going to the lake as it is right on the way... they have 2 storage areas available.. both for the same amount ( I think they're the same, I'll follow up with them on that Sunday ).. One space is a 10 x 30, completely enclosed with a concrete floor.. and it has an electrical outlet in there should I ever need it. The problem here is the size, particularly the door width... 8.5 foot wide boat vs. 10' wide door.. does not leave much room for error, also the length will be very close... indoor unit is 30' long but I believe from the tip of the tongue of the trailer to the back end of the motor is about 29.6 very tight.. pros: completely enclosed, electrical outlet, concrete floor... cons: tight, tight, tight... there is also a larger unit for rent.. 12 x 50... no electric, no lighting ( but I can use some battery powered lights that can hang from the wall inside ) gravel flooring and it's open at the top on each end.. you can see that in the pics.. even so, I'm thinking since it's nearly 50 feet long ( actually around 45 to 48 feet ) I could park her about ten feet inside the gate and that would give me about ten feet on each end, which should be more than enough to protect it from blowing rain and sun... so what do you think... which would you do? I'm leaning toward the larger unit simply because it would be easier to back the boat in with a 12' wide door and it should still get plenty of protection from the elements.. would any of you be bothered with the open areas at the top of the larger unit.. again, since it's so long I'm pretty sure parking her in the middle would make it darn near impossible for any blowing rain to reach the boat... just my thoughts.
Attachments
20286458f9225eb98b8.jpg
20286458f9225eb98b8.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
20286458f922df3c298.jpg
20286458f922df3c298.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
20286458f9223e4e23f.jpg
20286458f9223e4e23f.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
20286458f922863a160.jpg
20286458f922863a160.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
20286458f9233458482.jpg
20286458f9233458482.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamby

Re: which would you choose

#2 Post by Bamby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 am

Small unit likely doable but snug like you stated. But access looks great as far as having enough outside space to allow good approach to unit to back he boat into it.

Larger unit: Would still need covered. The open top could allow unit to become a community center for both birds and possibility bats. Birds like to nest is such places, and snakes and mice will slither under the loose fitting walls one seeking a home the other a meal. And then there is the possibility of a feral cat finding your boat a handsome home to have and raise her next litter of kittens.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 am

I'd go the larger unit. It even looks a little snug. But there again, I've never been much of a trailer backer.

Around our lakes, many of our mini-storage places have large open air pole barns for boat and RV storage--pull throughs.

But anyway you go, keeping a boat completely dry and out of the weather greatly improves the lifespan of upholstery, etc.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

OCBray

#4 Post by OCBray » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Is there enough room for a spotter at the back of the small unit. I'd go bigger and see if you can attach some heavy duty screen material to the opening.

seminolewind

#5 Post by seminolewind » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Can you try it out before you rent?

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

IMHO, if you're down to counting inches of clearance, it's too small. Go with the larger unit.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

hey guys, wanted to thank you for your input... I was originally leaning toward the larger unit which is open up high on both ends, but after I read Bamby's post about birds / cats and maybe even snakes being able to access the boat I started thinking maybe I should re-think it. Last thing I want is to be out in the middle of the lake and have a big ol snake come crawling out from under the console or seats... anyway I met one of the workers out there today and told him I wanted to see if I could back it in to the 10 x 30 space, which is completely enclosed all the way around with a roll up door. Surprised the hell out of me but I backed it with very little trouble... the big issue is there isn't a lot of space in the lot in front of the storage space, so I have to back up, straighten up, and do that about 3 or 4 times before I had the boat lined up.. once I had her lined up she backed right in... had my wife standing at the back of the unit to let me know when to stop... ended up with about 5 or 6 inches to spare back of the motor and about 4 or 5 inches to spare in the front. I did have to take off my trailer guides that protrude out from the trailer, but they just slide off and on so that's no issue at all... backing it in was slow, but at least now ( as bama pointed out ) the boat is still completely out of the sun and weather as it has been since the day I bought it. Oh and somebody on here asked if I could try the unit out first... the answer was yes... I told the guy out there this afternoon that I wanted to try the 10 x 30 space because it was completely enclosed, but that if it became too much of a pain in the rear getting it in there could I move it to the larger 12' wide space and he said no problem... I was wrong about one thing, I thought the 10 x 30 had electric, there's a light up at the top and a recepticle down on the side wall.. I was wrong.. apparently some guy who has a vegetable stand had set up like 6 deep freezers in one of the spaces and then had them all plugged into the outlet in his space, running the electric bill up so the owner just killed the breaker... not a big issue, I can but some of those strip led lights with magnets on the back and stick em on the wall.. .. appreciate all of you guys giving me your opinions... you brought up some things that never entered my mind... thanks again.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

fredeboy

#8 Post by fredeboy » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 am

How are you going to keep battery charged :donno

ROLAND

#9 Post by ROLAND » Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 am

[quote="fredeboy"]How are you going to keep battery charged :donno[/quote]

Just put a knew one in... will bring it home in the off season and put it on a tender... usually carry a jump box with me out on the lake just in case.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

PlaynDoc

#10 Post by PlaynDoc » Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm

consider putting a trailer hitch on the FRONT of your truck..... makes backing into tight spots quite easy.

tow as usual to the area that you'll park... unhitch boat, turn truck around, re-hitch, and push the boat into the tight spot. easy-peasy.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

ROLAND

#11 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 am

[quote="PlaynDoc"]consider putting a trailer hitch on the FRONT of your truck..... makes backing into tight spots quite easy.

tow as usual to the area that you'll park... unhitch boat, turn truck around, re-hitch, and push the boat into the tight spot. easy-peasy.[/quote]

PlaynDoc... actually thought about that and presented it to my wife ( since we tow the boat with her vehicle ).. she said no way... doesn't want a trailer hitch on the front.... so we'll go with it the way it's set up and see how it goes... did get a little good news about the space I rented.. I went to thier office today to pay the first months rent and mentioned the electricity had been killed by the owner due to a previous tennant running the bill up... told the lady, look, if I get my boat back there at 9:30 at night it's pitch black, it's going to be pretty difficult to put my boat in such a tight space. ( I actually had other battery powered lighting in mind ready to go ).. she said no problem, she was going to have one of thier employee's turn the juice back on.. now let's hope that motion light at the top of the unit still works.... one question to anyone who wants to jump in... I'm in Louisiana.. it gets really hot down here, like in the mid to upper 90's all summer long... since the 10 x 30 is completely enclosed, could that heat do any damage to anything on my boat? Just curious.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamby

#12 Post by Bamby » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 am

There is a way to make it far easier and here's the way I'd go about it if it were my bay. First go by the lumberyard and pick up a ten foot 2x4 and a couple of fasteners of your choice to pin it down to the floor and a 50 ft. length of limber contrasting rope, whites fine.

Make sure boat is where you want her and slide the 2x4 under her and place it right up against the back side of the tires. Now pull the boat out and pin the 2x4 down in place and it will then act as a curb. From the inside measure from the wall to the edge of the doorjamb and add about a inch. Now go back to the 2x4 and transfer the measurement to stud and drive a nail into it parallel to the floor. Make a small loop on the end of the line and slip it over the nail. Now all you haft to do is grab the line and feed it out behind you through the door on your way to your vehicle when you get to the end of the rope turn around and pull it snug and adjust it as needed right or left to where it's not quite touching to doorway and lay it down on the lot.

Now you have a nice straight parallel line you can see in the mirror and align to when backing your trailer into it's bay and enough of a curb for you to feel feedback that she's home.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

ROLAND

#13 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 pm

[quote="Bamby"]There is a way to make it far easier and here's the way I'd go about it if it were my bay. First go by the lumberyard and pick up a ten foot 2x4 and a couple of fasteners of your choice to pin it down to the floor and a 50 ft. length of limber contrasting rope, whites fine.

Make sure boat is where you want her and slide the 2x4 under her and place it right up against the back side of the tires. Now pull the boat out and pin the 2x4 down in place and it will then act as a curb. From the inside measure from the wall to the edge of the doorjamb and add about a inch. Now go back to the 2x4 and transfer the measurement to stud and drive a nail into it parallel to the floor. Make a small loop on the end of the line and slip it over the nail. Now all you haft to do is grab the line and feed it out behind you through the door on your way to your vehicle when you get to the end of the rope turn around and pull it snug and adjust it as needed right or left to where it's not quite touching to doorway and lay it down on the lot.

Now you have a nice straight parallel line you can see in the mirror and align to when backing your trailer into it's bay and enough of a curb for you to feel feedback that she's home.[/quote]

That's a good Idea Bamby... I really would like to put some sort of curb back there, especially on the times i'm alone and don't have anyone spotting me in the back of the storage unit... I'll have to look into that.. thank you.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

mpilot

#14 Post by mpilot » Wed May 03, 2017 12:10 pm

They make those little ball things that hang from a garage to hit the windshield when you have gone far enough in. Maybe you could put on of those on the side so right before it got to the right depth in the garage it would swing around the front of the boat.

Jayjoans

#15 Post by Jayjoans » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Got an unused drill laying around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AM88sfDuc