Bennington Sedona vs Lowe vs Sweetwater

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rivercamp

Bennington Sedona vs Lowe vs Sweetwater

#1 Post by Rivercamp » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:30 am

Alright dock is built and ready for action, now to the important stuff.
We want to get a boat ASAP. A nearby dealer has a 21 Lowe Family and a Sedona L21 in stock. I want to go get and go don't want to order.
Any postive or negative comments on either boat. Our primary choice is the sedona, but if I can get more bang for my buck with the Lowe that's what we may do. I have not physically looked at either boat yet. Will probably do that next week after I get your opions.
Would prefer a 18 or 20' boat but gotta go with what they got.
Our wants our 25' logs, most hp it's rated for.
Last edited by Rivercamp on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 2186 Sweetwater
90 Yamaha 2 stroke
Towed by 2004 Ranger or 99 Ford Explorer

Ohio River - Westport Ky

Livebait

#2 Post by Livebait » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:57 am

Rivercamp:
If you have it down to two choices then most of the work is done. I have owned pontoon boats for over 15 years, I used to sell and buy a new one about every three years. My vote is for the Bennington; Quality played a large part in my past purchases with price a close second. When you go take a look at the two boats the first thing is a quality check. If the boats are on trailers the job is much easier. Get under the boat, check the welds, check the way they secure the deck, check the way they route the cables. Next get to the helm there should be an access panel that will let you take a peek at the console and the gauge wiring. It should be neat and tidy and secured from vibrations. You would be surprised at what you see on some of the models. Do not let the shiny new outside or the salesman distract you. I am not an expert but if it does not look right then most likely it is not. The engine you use to power the boat is a whole different topic but it is an important one. No matter what you decide on if it does not perform properly you are immediately looking to trade, bang for the buck just went down considerably. The price on a lot of boats is whatever the dealer can sale them for, negotiate and be prepared to walk away. One more tip, whatever you buy after the first 20 hours spend about two hours checking all the nuts and bolts you can access making sure they are snug, again you will be suspired especially with a pontoon boat.
2004 Bennington 165 Si, Yamaha 50 Hp 2 Stroke
2007 Ford F 150

Hey, Just where did you say we were going and what am I doing in this hand basket.

Pop24

#3 Post by Pop24 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:57 am

I would think once your able to look at both boats you'll be able to get a better feel for which one you prefer. I've owned 2 pontoons and both were Bennington so I'm kind of partial to that brand. Good luck in your search. Get out on the lake and have some fun!
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

Rivercamp

#4 Post by Rivercamp » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:22 pm

We have thrown in a 3rd choice. a sweetwater 2186 w/ a 90hp yamaha.

Nearest Bennington dealers are 1-2 hours away, Sweetwater Dealer is 45 minutes away, and the only one who has took the time to give me prices today. Since we have a price from the Sweetwater and no-one else we will take a drive tomorrow to look at what he has to offer.
2006 2186 Sweetwater
90 Yamaha 2 stroke

Ohio River - Westport Ky

Heatman

#5 Post by Heatman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Rivercamp, if you are willing to drive alittle bit the dealer I bought my Lowe from is in Rockville, In.. It's called The Boat Place near Racccon Lake. He is or was the largest Lowe dealer in the country. The owner Terry Daulton is the salesman and is a very nice guy to deal with. No BS and no let me ask my manager crap. He makes the decisions.

When I was boat shopping I was mainly looking at Suntracker just trying to keep the cost as low as possible and then came across The Boat Place and got a Lowe cheaper than anything else I could find and really like the boat. This was 2 years ago but I got a Trindad 220 (22') , Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke, 2 axle trailer w/brakes, custom cover (he has his on shop on site). ski tow bar, 2 extra swivle fishing seats, and trailer spare tire for $18,000 out the door.
http://www.theboatplace.net/
Email them and they will let you know what they have in stock. If nothing else you can use his price to negotiate with another dealer.
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

Rivercamp

#6 Post by Rivercamp » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:02 am

The further Bennington dealer cld back last nite, and is calling this a.m. with prices. We will probably ride down after we get prices on the L19 and L21.
We got prices several months ago, but wasn't quite ready to purchase.
He had the better price then and also the better attitude which I think is very important. The other one that is closer I just don't feel comfortable with their personality, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info Heatman, they are about a 3-4 hour drive from here, I did check out there web site. If we were a little closer we would check them out.
2006 2186 Sweetwater
90 Yamaha 2 stroke

Ohio River - Westport Ky