Pontoon size versus lake size

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

neilbedwell

Pontoon size versus lake size

#1 Post by neilbedwell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:47 am

The wife and I recently had our 19' G3 Pontoon moved to a new lake. Our old lake was around 700 acres and this new lake (Herrington Lake in Central Kentucky) is about 3 times that size at 2100 acres. Of course, there are lots more boats on this lake and they are much larger than what we're used to. Moving around is now much more challenging with rougher water and massive wakes from those other boats. We actually had quite a bit of water over the bow a couple times yesterday due to the wake from some very large boats that overtook us. Part of that is my fault but looking back the whole trip was pretty rough.

So, naturally, my mind wanders to the question of whether or not our little 19' 'toon with a 50 hp Yamaha motor is just too small for a lake like this? Would a longer/larger pontoon really ride THAT much better and/or handle the chop and waves/wake better?

Thanks for your opinions!

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Pontoon size versus lake size

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 am

YES. Tritoons eat large wakes like nobody would believe unless their riding on one. its what sold 3 other boats to my friends after they rode on ours.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

ron nh

#3 Post by ron nh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:34 am

I have an 18' tri-toon and even that is to small for our big, rough lakes. I couldn't imagine a small 2 toon.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm

We have a 24' pontoon with a 60 HP merc four stroke.

We us it to cruise the river, go up and down the coast, and go offshore spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

I have been out on it during small craft advisory conditions, when I was the only boat out. At the time; it was the best available option.

The boat held up fine, but I wouldn't recommend doing so, for inexperienced boaters.

I've been out in many different boats over the years, some smaller, in much worse conditions.

I've found that boats 22' and up do better in a chop than the smaller ones; less "up and down."
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Your boat should be sufficient for the lakes you're talking about being on. You've just got to pay close attention to other boats' waves and be quick to stop and ride'em out.

I'm on a 16,000 acre lake that's 1.5 miles wide, rock bottom and 50' to 100' deep. When the winds come from the north, my side of the lake can get waves coming over docks--and swells. We need very seaworthy boats.

But you'll be okay with the limited size of your lake.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

JRCORVETTE

#6 Post by JRCORVETTE » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I would never buy anything less than a 22' pontoon and if you can afford it get a tri-toon.

Loving my 25' Veranda tri-toon with a Yamaha 175 although a 150 would do.