Some questions from a new toon owner

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jakem

Some questions from a new toon owner

#1 Post by jakem » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Okay so first time pontoon owner. This is a '77 or 78' 20' kayot w/ 70 hp Johnson VRO. I have a few basic info questions to start. This pontoon will primarily be used for floating, fishing, swimming. Minimal if any tubing. The water will be mostly reservoirs, smaller lakes, and some river use on the lazy portion of the Snake in SE Idaho.

How do you properly measure irregularly shaped logs?

I've read about "skinning" the bottom of the deck. I assume that's the sheet aluminum on the bottom. What's the benefit of this?

My current configuration is left hand drive. I think I want to relocate to the right side. Is that as simple as moving my console and change the side of the outboard the steering linkage hooks up to?

My transom wood needs replaced and I think I'm squared away on that process. But what is the purpose of the wedge in front of the motor mount? I seem to be experiencing an excessive amount of "aeration" (hope that's the right term)

The boat is in definite need of new fence and some furniture. I like what I see at pontoonstuff.com but who do you guys recommend for fence parts or complete packages?

I am experiencing some water over the transom and have read some posts about raising the motor a hole or two. What is your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time. I know I'll have more questions, but I thought I'd start here. Seem to be having some trouble posting pics. I'll get them up soon if I mess it up this time.

Jake
Last edited by jakem on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jakem

Re: Some questions from a new toon owner

#2 Post by jakem » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Sorry for the huge pic. lets try this again.
Attachments
File_000.jpeg
File_000.jpeg (275.37 KiB) Viewed 5096 times

jakem

#3 Post by jakem » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:44 pm

And some more photos.
Attachments
File_004.jpeg
File_004.jpeg (306.29 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
File_003.jpg
File_003.jpg (193.49 KiB) Viewed 5090 times

jakem

#4 Post by jakem » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm

And this.
Attachments
File_002.jpeg
File_002.jpeg (278.59 KiB) Viewed 5087 times

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Yep, you've got an early version of a pontoon boat that was somewhat ahead of its time--styling wise. You've already got underskinning that makes the boat ride quieter and smoother.

Your toons are more square than they're round, and they've not made them that way for a long time. The engine pod appears also to be square where newer engine pods are more pointed and more "waterdynamic." That may be the reason for funny waves coming out of the rear of the boat.

Many of the earlier pontoons had transoms laminated out of two 3/4 inch marine plywood glued together and held in by aluminum angle drilled and bolted with stainless steel bolts. By all means replace the transom as you don't want to lose the motor because it fails.

I would hesitate to put big money into such an old pontoon boat--if you're thinking about refencing and new furniture. My neighbors have an older pontoon and a newer pontoon, and they chunked their furniture and replaced it with folding chairs. It works, and the folding chairs were cheap.

If you boat performs acceptably (5500 rpms or more) and doesn't have propeller ventilation, just leave the engine height alone. You could be opening a can of worms raising the motor.

You don't say where you are at, but I've got a 1985 Starcraft 24' pontoon that needs a new home--NW AL.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jakem

#6 Post by jakem » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks Bamaman. I'm in SE Idaho. You may be right about the amount of money to throw at this thing. I'm currently doing the "lawn chair" thing and it's works.

Bamby

#7 Post by Bamby » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:54 pm

[quote="jakem"]Thanks Bamaman. I'm in SE Idaho. You may be right about the amount of money to throw at this thing. I'm currently doing the "lawn chair" thing and it's works.[/quote]

We've used lawn chairs on the front deck for years without any problems. But last year I got a round picknick table and placed it onboard and all results have been positive. Pushed to one side or the other there is enough room to easily get around it and so far at least it fits our lifestyle.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Wreck Tangle

#8 Post by Wreck Tangle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Are those bullet holes in the side?

Rick McC.

#9 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

That boat looks to be in good shape for as old as it is!

A local marina here does reupholstery, among other things.

Their price to redo a split rear deck, console, double captains seat, back seat, corner seat, rear port seat, seat with live well underneath, port and starboard front seats, plus their two reclining seat ends, and two front deck fishing seats, was $3000.00.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

jakem

#10 Post by jakem » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 am

Rick, she is in pretty decent shape. some small dings and dents on the logs but overall in pretty fair shape. The outboard is a strong runner also. Compression is good. No instruments at all right now. Plan to put a tach and other necessities on soon. About changing the drive side. Can I just switch the side the linkage connects to on the outboard? Looks like that should work.

Thanks,

Jake

Rick McC.

#11 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 pm

[quote="jakem"]Rick, she is in pretty decent shape. some small dings and dents on the logs but overall in pretty fair shape. The outboard is a strong runner also. Compression is good. No instruments at all right now. Plan to put a tach and other necessities on soon. About changing the drive side. Can I just switch the side the linkage connects to on the outboard? Looks like that should work.

Thanks,

Jake[/quote]

I don't know if you even need to do that, as long as the cables are long enough to reach over to the new helm location.

But, since every other boat I've owned has the steering cable coming down from the right side; yes, you can change that from the left side setup you have.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

guy48065

#12 Post by guy48065 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 am

If you mount your remote on the right side fence you'll end up with a mirror-image setup to what you have now. Cable length should be the same and you won't even need to open the remote to change the cable positions.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Bilboinsa

#13 Post by Bilboinsa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:12 pm

What a neat looking boat! I love your roof!