Under skin

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

killerkernrich

Under skin

#1 Post by killerkernrich » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I have a 22 ft thinking about under skinning it....what would be a ball park dollar amount.
only 2 toons.
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

Soonertoon

Re: Under skin

#2 Post by Soonertoon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 am

figure 300.00 . however that will vary with what thickness you use. I used .080. mine turned out great. big difference. wore me out doing it but results were well worth it just in how much quieter it is now. didn't pick up but maybe a couple miles an hour but speed and pontoons are not natural allies..lol/
Now..what I did was I layed down a thick bead of 3M UV4000 Marine adhesive to the cross members. I marked and pre drilled the sheets . I placed the sheets where they went and then secured across the braces in the pre drilled holes with a SS #10 TEK. I put them in with an Impact gun, NOT a screw gun. I have U shaped logs so I didn't need any side filler pieces. There was no need to secure to the side bracing. There those on here that will tell you that the only way to do this is with a rivet attachment as the TEKs can theoretically back themselves out. Yes, possible. Realistically, it would take a lot of vibration and movement for that to happen.
This is where the UV 4000 comes in. It creates a permanent bond of the sheet to the cross brace. All those TEKs can fall out and these sheets are going nowhere. Have extensive experience with this stuff and cant say enough about how well it works. In fact, Featherlite Trailers are constructed with this material for the attachment of all the outer skin.
Here's a pic.
Attachments
Underskin.jpg
Underskin.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

Jake_Daddy

#3 Post by Jake_Daddy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am

Hope I'm not hijacking this but since Soonertoon brought it up...is the adhesive only for if the screws come out? Or does it need to be permanently sealed? I am contemplating doing an underskin job but I'm sure water will still make its way between the deck and the underskin and I would like it to be able to drain out still and breath a little. I will end up using aluminum rivets as I'm on saltwater and you don't want saltwater, stainless, and aluminum pooling up together unless you are trying to make a battery!

What I am envisioning is something like those old slotted louvers on the rear windows of Firebirds/Trans-AMs with maybe a 1/4" space between the adjoining sheets allowing anything to drain out and a little air to flow through.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

r&s20

#4 Post by r&s20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am

I underskinned mine without any adhesive, and have not had a problem.
The space between the bottom of flooring and the underskinning is plenty of air space for drying out and ventilation. I would do the underskinning similar to soonertoon's, to make the bottom of boat as smooth as possible. the louvered setup i think would kill the reason for doing it at all.
i didn't use adhesive so i could remove the panels easier when making changes to my boat.
i used self tapping metal to metal roofing screws with rubber washers and all of them are still there after 2 years.
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

Soonertoon

#5 Post by Soonertoon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am

The primary use of the adhesive is to eliminate the loading of the panel being borne solely by the TEK screws. Yes, in the event that they do back out you haven't compromised the sheet attachment. Additionally the sheets being bonded to the braces with the adhesive, become a stressed member. therefore adding a slight amount of rigidity to the overall undercarriage. Screws or rivets alone do not allow for lading to be distributed all across the bracing and do not connect one brace to the other. Now...you CAN remove the sheets. It will take some good effort but you can remove them. The adhesive has some elastic properties in it which do allow for natural expansion , contraction etc.
you will get the same result with adhesive used in conjunction with rivets. They are just harder to put in as compared to TEKs . They DO eliminate 100% any "backout"

Point is...the adhesive is a plus any way you cut it
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

r&s20

#6 Post by r&s20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Sorry if you got offended that was not my intention, I was simply stating the way i did it.
I never said that adhesive was bad. I only stated that i didn't use any and why.
fish and cruise

DWRAT

#7 Post by DWRAT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Why use screws that can back out, I used pop rivets.
2012 SouthBay 722CRO 115hp Merc 4-stroke. Edit, make that a 150hp Merc 4-stroke now.

r&s20

#8 Post by r&s20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 pm

DWRAT,
I originally put mine in with pop rivets (they held very well)
I switched to screws after i had to remove panels to make changes above the deck, all my stuff top side is bolted down so you have to get to the nuts on the bottom side(my arms ain't that long). So after drilling out all those rivets I said to hell with that and installed screws for future changes planned. and they have worked well for ME.
fish and cruise

killerkernrich

#9 Post by killerkernrich » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm

any idea what a boat shop might charge (alot) ?

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

JLester273

#10 Post by JLester273 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

I have thought of doing this for my boat. I'm not sure I will see a huge benefit from it as I am only running 75 hp but I like the idea of keeping the underside of the deck dry. Though I doubt I'll try anything until I am all rewired.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

rbtnt

#11 Post by rbtnt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 pm

[quote="killerkernrich"]I have a 22 ft thinking about under skinning it....what would be a ball park dollar amount.
only 2 toons.[/quote]
I was able to do at 25' twin toon for $100 by getting the aluminum from a local recycler. They cut it to roughly the size I needed. The aluminum was not new, but it was straight and smooth.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

Soonertoon

#12 Post by Soonertoon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:48 am

[quote="r&s20"]Sorry if you got offended that was not my intention, I was simply stating the way i did it.
I never said that adhesive was bad. I only stated that i didn't use any and why.[/quote]

I didn't take offense in any way. not at all. I wanted to explain the rationalization and benefits from using the adhesive as a backup as well as spreading the loading out over the lateral length of each cross member. As I said, even with rivets the adhesive adds the same benefit . Some will use it some wont. Both ways work.
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

killerkernrich

#13 Post by killerkernrich » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:21 am

on my toon 22ft with 60 hp would it be worth the cost??

PLP Member
NRA member
UFC fan

Jake_Daddy

#14 Post by Jake_Daddy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 am

So does no one ever have issues, or even know if they do, with any water pooling up on top of the underskinning? If I was on freshwater I wouldn't be worried about it but saltwater pooling up there would be bad, especially if I use any stainless screws. Also in Florida where the dang humidity is 90% or better most of the year stuff doesn't evaporate very quickly!

Maybe my louvers description wast good. Here is a crude sketch of what I was thinking.
Attachments
underskin_spacer_idea.JPG
underskin_spacer_idea.JPG (34.53 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

rancherlee

#15 Post by rancherlee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:28 am

[quote="Jake_Daddy"]So does no one ever have issues, or even know if they do, with any water pooling up on top of the underskinning? If I was on freshwater I wouldn't be worried about it but saltwater pooling up there would be bad, especially if I use any stainless screws. Also in Florida where the dang humidity is 90% or better most of the year stuff doesn't evaporate very quickly!

Maybe my louvers description wast good. Here is a crude sketch of what I was thinking.[/quote]

I see no issues with that design, except possible "oil canning" noise if there is too much space between fasteners......... and a little extra work, but easier to handle smaller panels.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm