Under skin

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JLester273

Re: Under skin

#16 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:51 pm

I think that could be a nice design. A simple thin washer would act as a good enough spacer at each screw between each sheet. The added "resistance" would be almost non-existent IMO. And it should easily drain.

My biggest concern with mine is accessing the wiring as I am going to have to do some renovations one of these days on mine. So for now mine stays open. I'm not sure I will gain much with it doing 19 with my 75 hp with no underskin. But for the cost I may do it once all the wiring is taken care of.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Jake_Daddy

#17 Post by Jake_Daddy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:18 am

That is the same reason I haven't done mine yet is due to accessories I have been keeping an eye on but I want to too as I get terrible surging in any type of chop.

I think your performance or comfort gains are gonna be more based on what type of structural members are under your deck vs the power on it. My old party barge had a hat channel that was probably half the depth of the 3" deep channels on my Sweetwater. The party barge under the same power as the Sweetwater (90hp) and similar sized toons did not surge bad where as now I get it terrible along with all the water splashing up between the panels and soaking the floor. The larger the area for the water to hit the larger the effects.
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

Soonertoon

#18 Post by Soonertoon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 am

As you may be able to see in photo I posted, there is no real need to screw the sheets down at the edges of the logs, especially if you use the adhesive on the cross members. This allows whatever water may get up underneath the sheets to drain. I did not use a continuous sheet as it would have been a real sumbithc to handle and all. Rather, I used three separate sheets. cut each one 1" longer than the out to out distance form one cross member to the other giving me a lap joint.
Last weekend we decided to venture out on an extremely windy day that was further exacerbated by 65k per second of water being sucked out of the Dam. Needless to say , the lake was horrible. We had over 2 ft rollers that will beat you to death as well as the underside of the boat. I can tell you that this made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD when it came to how the boat reacted to these large waves smacking the hell out of it. It was still miserable but it was vastly different than before I did it.
Once we got back to the marina ( after giving up after 30 min) I inspected the area for any oil canning effect as a result. there was zero. Part of that is due to the fact I used an .080 .
Whatever you decide to do and however you decide to do it , just do it. Its worth every minute of effort and every penny of money spent.
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake