No start, new switch,new solenoid.... next?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

TSHobbies

No start, new switch,new solenoid.... next?

#1 Post by TSHobbies » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am

Hey guys...have a 65hp Evinrude circa 1988 ... have no action when turning the key... no clicks, nothing...Ive replaced both the switch and the solenoid,but nothing... yet if I bypass the solenoid with cables it'll fire right up...so theres gotta be something else that involves the ignition that I dont know about... wires look good. there is no shut off lanyard ,so dont think its that anyway...any suggestions?

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: No start, new switch,new solenoid.... next?

#2 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 am

[quote="TSHobbies"]Hey guys...have a 65hp Evinrude circa 1988 ... have no action when turning the key... no clicks, nothing...Ive replaced both the switch and the solenoid,but nothing... yet if I bypass the solenoid with cables it'll fire right up...so theres gotta be something else that involves the ignition that I dont know about... wires look good. there is no shut off lanyard ,so dont think its that anyway...any suggestions?[/quote]

Try another solenoid.

Anything can fail at some point, and every now and then, electrical parts are bad new in the box.

I'd also pull the connections and rub them with emory paper and check the wires for corrosion to ensure that they're making good contact.

Back in the day, I had a car that wouldn't start. Checked everything. If I held the key, at first there would be nothing, then it'd crank.

Come to find out, there was corrosion in the battery cables that would be over come as the cable heated up when current was applied.

So if you have corroded cables, it could be causing your problem.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

JLester273

#3 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I've seen the battery connections cause this many times too. Other than that check connections. Same idea look for poor contacts. A multi-meter is a life saver IMO for troubleshooting these things.

You can check for voltage when turning the switch and try to chase it back from the motor and see where it stops.

I sometimes run a loose wire to one end (generally the side harder to get to) then back to the other side. This is an easy way to trace connectivity between the switch and the motor. Harder to describe than to do. The battery should be disconnected.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

MH Hawker

#4 Post by MH Hawker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 pm

its the connections, clean and polish ever one no matter how good it looks and go boating
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

TSHobbies

#5 Post by TSHobbies » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:52 pm

I appreciate the feedback guys...though its not the connections..wish it were that simple

r&s20

#6 Post by r&s20 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm

how about neutral safety switch inside control box, they have been know to go bad
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

jrolin1

#7 Post by jrolin1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:53 am

Use a meter to see if the trigger wire on the solenoid is getting 12 volts when the key is turned. You can also test the solenoid by applying power to the trigger wire (not jumping the solenoid).

TSHobbies

#8 Post by TSHobbies » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 am

I bypassed the NS switch...also tested the volts on switch ,it gets power at accessories ,but when you turn it to start,no power...also no power at solenoid end when key is turned. I did a continuity test on the cable wires that go from the switch to the motor, no power through the solenoid wire,so I used a jumper wire from the switch to the solenoid,and that didnt work either.

tsmodie

#9 Post by tsmodie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am

Hi, this sounds like abad ignition switch, the power comes out of the switch in the start position and goes to the neutral safety switch, then on to the solenoid, have you checked power out of the switch to the neutral safety switch?
1992 TRACKER 24D
JOHNSON 115 GT PRO
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=24642

COMPLETE REBUILD USING PONTOONSTUFF.COM

TSHobbies

#10 Post by TSHobbies » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 am

yes, no power ...Im kinda wondering if it isnt that as well.. even though I just replaced it. I was going to try and jump start it using the poles on it..not quite sure which ones need contact... if I have the key switch to 'run' , it does charge the magneto/accessory poles... so,wouldnt I just have to make contact with the solenoid and battery pole? which Ive tried and didnt work.

curtiscapk

#11 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 am

These are Merc but should be close. I replaced switch, stator, and switchbox trying to fix my no start. Was switchbox.
Attachments
OMC_ignition_wiring.jpg
OMC_ignition_wiring.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
ignitionswitchwiring1.jpg
ignitionswitchwiring1.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
ignitionswitchwiring.jpg
ignitionswitchwiring.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
OMC_switch_wiring_diagram.jpg
OMC_switch_wiring_diagram.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

TSHobbies

#12 Post by TSHobbies » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 am

thanks..I know where the wires go..that wasnt what I was asking.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#13 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

if you haven't yet, pull the "red connector" apart under the engine cowling, they will start to corrode after all these years, once you know what color wire on your starter solenoid is the "switched" wire, put the red connector back together and check voltage on that wire on both sides of the red connector with the key held in the START position by an assistant.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#14 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:16 am

if you haven't yet, pull the "red connector" apart under the engine cowling, they will start to corrode after all these years, once you know what color wire on your starter solenoid is the "switched" wire, put the red connector back together and check voltage on that wire on both sides of the red connector with the key held in the START position by an assistant.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

TSHobbies

#15 Post by TSHobbies » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am

[quote="TSHobbies"]I bypassed the NS switch...also tested the volts on switch ,it gets power at accessories ,but when you turn it to start,no power...also no power at solenoid end when key is turned. I did a continuity test on the cable wires that go from the switch to the motor, no power through the solenoid wire,so I used a jumper wire from the switch to the solenoid,and that didnt work either.[/quote]

already did that