Boat Barn Plans

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

illinoid

Boat Barn Plans

#1 Post by illinoid » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 am

I am working on plans for my barn at my new place between Bull Shoals and Lake Norfork. I do believe that every barn has 3 problems, too short, too narrow, and not tall enough. I have kind of decided that 40 feet is long enough. The pontoon I am looking at is 30 feet long so I could slip in my skidsteer in the back or front. I am not sure if 24 ft is wide enough. I think I want an 18' wide door to be able to back in the boat and my pickup (F250 double cab, short bed) beside each other but do I need to go 20'? Pull through not really an option but may put a smaller door out the back to get out skidsteer and mowers. I think I need to go 14' high so I can have a 12' high door. May buy a camper some day and 12' will probably let the toon in with the bimini angled back. I also plan on doing some small boat building in the building. Not practical to put in a bathroom but may try to put in a sink. Will consider attic trusses. 60 amp panel should do run welder and 5 hp compressor. I am considering spray foam insulation but have used celulose and fiberglass in the past.
I am open to all suggestions.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

Gonefishing

Re: Boat Barn Plans

#2 Post by Gonefishing » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 am

If looking at maybe getting a camper might think about a taller door entry. If you were to get a 5 th wheel they are about 13' tall. Also I would go no less then a 100 amp service again if you were to get a camper you would need 30 amp maybe even a 50 amp service for it depending what you get. Only other suggestion would be make it as big as you can now cause I can tell you it will fill up quick. Don't ask how I know. Good luck
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

bradm

#3 Post by bradm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm not certain 40 feet deep will get a 30 foot boat with trailer and then skid steer behind. Unless you meant 30 feet overall with traiiler and motor

There is not much space in our neighbors 35 foot deep building when they have 23 foot South Bay in it. My shop is 60 x 40 and got full quick. Go as big as you can. 14 tall and 12 tall doors are minimum if you are thinking an RV later. My father in laws motor home was really close on m doors which are a touch over 12 tall. My tritoon has a sport arch and it is too close to go through door without folding Arch down.

It is fun spending someone else's money. Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brad M.
2019 Manitou Legacy with 350 Suzuki
2016 South Bay 523 Arch. 250 Suzuki SS (sold)

NonHyphenAmerican

#4 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:33 pm

From experience building a warehouse.

12x12' door for 14" sidewalls, 16' peak.

A toon fits tightly into a 12x12 door.

An RV fits REALLY tightly in a 12x12' door. Dad thought we only needed 10' wide. When he crunched his RV by turning to quick and the hind end swung around, he grinned pretty sheepishly.

Never did admit he was wrong.

60amp panel?

Put in a 100. In the long run it'll pay off.

Pay attention to lighting positioning.

Be sure to have security lighting that doesn't glare in your mirrors when backing in later in the day/evening.

Slope the floor so that it drains towards the open door and not to the back of the building.

Put in a drain located so that anything draining off the toon slopes to the drain.

File all of this under PO for Personal Opinion but come by my 45x100 foot building and I'll show you what I did wrong.

And a 45 deep building doesn't leave much room for anything else if I simply backed the toon in.

What I do is back it in with my Old School Bronco with the hitch mounted on the front.

That allows me to angle it back into the building, thus leaving room in the 45x75 foot warehouse part for other vehicles, etc. The north 25' portion is walled off and was a work/office area that is heated and air conditioned.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

rancherlee

#5 Post by rancherlee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:47 am

I have my 20' pontoon in one of those 32' long "quick/temporary" shelters and with the motor tilted up in trailering position I have JUST enough room to fit an ATV on both sides of the trailer hitch. Down the road I plan on building a 30x50 with a pair of 12' high doors on the 30' wall. I'd much rather have 2 skinny doors than 1 wide one personally.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

illinoid

#6 Post by illinoid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for the advice, have a 50x60 here in Illinois but am trying to keep this one in scale with the house on a 3/4acre lot in a rural subdivision. I am thinking of a bumper pull trailer in the future and if I got a 5th wheel or motorhome I would probably put up another structure. Looking at 22footer, about 29 overall without getting folding tongue.
Long straight back in will make it easier, currently have a 12x12 door that I have to turn into, in and out of the truck a few times to get it backed in right. 100 amp or more is good advice, I have 200 amps 50 ft away. I am considering sissor trusses to get a 12' end door with a 12' sidewall but am thinking I may want an attic to store all the worthless junk I will collect to use some day but won't need till after I throw it away...lol.
Skid steer is only 5x7 feet...of course there are buckets, forks and any other attachments I come up with. I am going back and forth on 2 skinny doors...I would prefer that but it would be nice to match the garage on the house with one. I got carried away with the one I have now and put in a barrel ceiling in the shop over an eyebrow window, looks great but was a lot o work doing it all by myself.
Thanks again for the input and any further thoughts are welcome.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

Eddy from Arkansas

#7 Post by Eddy from Arkansas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:11 am

Hello neighbor! We are on Bull Shoals in Oakland so you cannot be to far away.
I can't tell you what to build but I can tell you what I built and what fits. Our barn is 30wide x 40deep. It is on a poured concrete slab, has a 10x10 door, a 16h x 12w door and a mandoor. I have a 60 amp service. It is not insulated but I can heat it with a torpedo in winter when I am working. It does get warm in summer.
I have a 22ft tritoon, how ever when you add in the point of the trailer and the motor it actually takes up almost 30 ft. I put it in the side with the tall door and can fit with the bimini's fully upright. I park the zero turn and lawn vac behind the boat and just have room to walk around the front of the trailer. It pretty much takes up one entire side. During the season we keep it on a lift at the local marina so it is on in there from Nov. to April.
Hope this helps, see you on the lake!
Attachments
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
2016 Veranda V22RFL
250hp Mercury Verado Pro

rockhound

#8 Post by rockhound » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:06 am

my barn is 30 wide and 40 deep

my 24 foot pontoon on the trailer is just over 30 foot deep

with 12 foot wide doors she is easy to park inside or under the carports

minimum 12 foot high inside and build the biggest shop you can afford, you will never wish it was smaller :)

Also if you have the chance an attic truss is almost the same cost as a standard truss, you will get a free room upstairs :) My cost to add the second floor was about 1600 total for 640 sf. course i built the thing myself so no labor involved..
Attachments
SHOP 1.jpg
SHOP 1.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
An over forty victim of fate....

Obama: finally gone, MAGA