Pontoon Grill Recommendation

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

allanmusk

Pontoon Grill Recommendation

#1 Post by allanmusk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 pm

I'd like to buy a grill for cooking on my new Harris Grand Mariner 250. After reading here (https://www.pontooners.com/best-pontoon-boat-grill/) it mentions that some grills need to be mounted and some are designed as table tops but doesn’t really tell you which is best for different kinds of pontoons. My question is, do you think I should go with a mounted grill for my Harris Grand Mariner?

Also, what do you think about the 3 recommended here. Does anyone use any of these or have any better suggestions?

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Cuisinart CGG 180 just because if I have difficulty mounting it I can just sit it on the table.

Jayjoans

Re: Pontoon Grill Recommendation

#2 Post by Jayjoans » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm not sure what the best grill would be for your Harris Grand Mariner 250, but for my boat I bought the largest Kuuma Elite. It too can sit on a table top with the built in legs, but I chose to also purchase the pedestal mount. https://www.kuumaproducts.com/316

I have not yet installed it, but my plan is to put it up on the bow porch right at the corner on the starboard side. The reason I chose that side is that my side boarding door is on the port side, so I'll be docking on that side. I'd worry that well meaning dock helpers or guests would grab the BBQ pedestal to steady the boat and break something. That may not be an issue for your Harris Grand Mariner 250.

Again, your Harris Grand Mariner 250 may call for something else, but I'm sure this would work on your Harris Grand Mariner 250 too. The link you included does not reflect all of your options, those seem to be the ones that paid for the review.

vlxerdon

#3 Post by vlxerdon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am

I have the Cuisinart CGG 180 . It is just my wife and I most of the time and it works out great for us. You can place it on a table or any other flat surface. We use the rail mount and my wife loves the way it cooks. Heats up fast and we have had no problem lighting it on a windy day. Most of our boating is in the bay, so it can get windy. Hope this helps.
1994 Starcraft Stardeck 200
1998 Johnson 90HP
1995 Calkins tandem axle trailer

04 4.0 liter SOHC Ford Explorer
98 5.9 V8 Magnum Dodge Ram

Coldbrew

#4 Post by Coldbrew » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

Just a clarification. The Kuuma grills can also be put on a table. They have legs that fold up when mounting or using a pedestal. I personally don't know of anywhere on my boat that I would want to set a hot grill so I have mine attached to the railing so it hangs over the water. I just had to modify the bracket to work with my setup. (the fence goes all the way up to the rail)

EDIT: I just noticed that Jay also mentioned they have legs. :-)

Good luck in your search. Love my Kuuma.
Attachments
20151011_123004_zpsg9kizrmh.jpg
20151011_123004_zpsg9kizrmh.jpg (263.54 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

mofn

#5 Post by mofn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Here is what I have. The Cuisinart 220, I love it! Inside is large enough for a small baking pan. We use it as an oven when the wind is to strong for the true oven I have.
I only time I maxed out on grill space, was when I was cooking for eight people.
Google, the stand that you can get for it ($50?). Once you get the foot print you can measure to see if you have the room for it. I have an old post here of it when I put my "kitchen" on my 24' Harris. The stand is incredible!

If you have to go rail mounted, I have done that also. I was not "happy" with that set up. If I was forced to go that route again I would have a metal fab person make it, so you have input on thickness, strength etc. Not a cookie cutter holder for the masses.
Good luck.
(Newfound...to small, I'm on the big lake)

Jayjoans

#6 Post by Jayjoans » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Initially I thought I'd rail mount my Kuuma too, but after looking at my railing I'd have to modify the bracket as Coldbrew did (good for you) and the only fixed exposed railing I have is behind the captain's chair where all the boarding traffic is with the grandkids. The real decision maker for me me was how low the grill would be if it was rail mounted. I'm 6'5" and I would almost have to get on my knees to use the grill if I didn't want to spend the whole time bending way over.

Capt Sully

#7 Post by Capt Sully » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Mine has a mount that fits into a rod holder, this way I can move it around depending on what I'm doing.
BBQ Grill.jpg
BBQ Grill.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
2012 Xcurison X23C
Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke
Dual axle full bunk trailer ready to go
All pulled with Z71 4WD Silverado
Maritime mobile KD4LZL
Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
FVC USCG Auxiliary
Vietnam 66 / 67

zoom650

#8 Post by zoom650 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:49 am

Try not to focus on the pink shirts and you see my Kuuma pedestal mount grill, port stern. It got the job done on a windy day but blew out a time or two.
Attachments
Kuuma = CrabIsl084-c.jpg
Kuuma = CrabIsl084-c.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Jayjoans

#9 Post by Jayjoans » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Nice Zoom650! Maybe I'll look at my stern again and see if I can fit mine on there, I don't have as much room beyond the fence as you do, but I sure would prefer it on the stern rather than on the bow.