Another newbie issue - motor stalling

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

r&s20

Re: Another newbie issue - motor stalling

#16 Post by r&s20 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 am

a little late but maybe this will help, check the coils, i have run a lot of these old omc's the coils will go out
(work then won't work) when they quit the motor will seem to run fine at idle but stall under load.
with a dead cylinder large loss of power. a bad coil is easy to find. pull wires 1 by 1 till no change in running
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#17 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 am

Reeds usually are either working or broken/gone, if you get a strong flashlight and open your carb throttle plates all the way open you can usually see the reed block, attached are the pics from my Yamaha 250 HPDI that had a broken reed valve, and the piece was laying in the crank case plenum area stuck in the 2 stroke oil, I saw this "black hole" looking through the throttle bodies (no carbs on this motor it was fuel injected). This is probably not your problem, but its a good learning experience for future use.
Attachments
reed valve piece.jpg
reed valve piece.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
broken reed.jpg
broken reed.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

illinoid

#18 Post by illinoid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:13 pm

If my issue was fuel related, either dirty carbs or fuel lines, wouldn't it also run bad when in neutral? The motor would start fine and run smoothly until I attempted to put it into either forward or reverse. It seems like the big difference is I then have placed a load on the motor.

Putting it in gear in the water puts a big load on the engine requiring lots more fuel to keep it running so if you have a fuel restriction anywhere it will cause it to die.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!