Motor height

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

cody0707

Re: Motor height

#16 Post by cody0707 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 am

[quote="Bamaman"]I didn't previously say it but that boat in the initial posting looks like it has 19 inch diameter toons.

Putting 150 no on a 2 toon boat is a waste of horsepower if the boat doesn't have 25 inch toons and lifting strakes. No matter what you do, the bulls will be plowing through the water.

Motor pods can be made for 20 inch motors or 25 inch motors. My Bennington and most late model boats are 25 inch motored.

The reality is that 33 mph is about all that boat has in it.[/quote]

Mine has 23" diameter toons. I am not worried about extra speed. I plan to put a 3rd toon on it at a later time to help with that. I am just trying to get the spray down that is being kicked up by the motor pod. Does adjusting the trim on a pontoon not do much for lifting the bow out of the water?

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#17 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 am

Cody
If you are only turning 4800 WOT, with that 150 2 stroke, you need to drop your prop pitch, your are "lugging" the engine, and definitely will kill a motor over time. it puts a big strain on the powerhead, I know you don't run WOT all the time, but your RPMs at WOT indicate that you have too much pitch and this will effect the motor at all RPMs. If you don't want to spend the money for prop swapping, you could have a prop shop take some pitch out of your current wheel. you should be able to attain MFG recommended RPM at WOT with at least a light load.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Bamby

#18 Post by Bamby » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am

There is a chance that the bent fins could very well be contributing to the problem. Any disruption to a smooth transmission to the flow of water is suspect and those fins are disruptive. What is now likely happening is the fact that they are now directing a substantial flow of stationary water up into the cross members under the deck as the boat is trying to pass through. If it were mine I'd either get them straight or would wack them off simply because forcing the boat through a continental wall of water in the cross members is more or less the equivalent of driving with your left foot continually on the brakes as you go off down the road.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

wwind3

#19 Post by wwind3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 am

Motor still looks low--cavitation plate ideally should be even with bottom of motor mounting box--looks like you may have a little more room to raise the motor. Should stop the spray if you have a smooth transition from mounting box across cavitation plate---sorta like air over an airplane wing.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS