Question about new (to me) toon configuration

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

Question about new (to me) toon configuration

#1 Post by yardbird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:32 am

I should be bringing this home in a week or so. The more I look at it... the more I wonder about the rear "sun deck". I can't find a picture of any other toon that has this. And it REALLY looks to me like it would make it darn near impossible to access that motor/gas tank/battery area once the boat is launched.

The rear couch goes the full width. We'd basically have to scramble up over that couch to even GET to the sun deck. I'm 64 and my wife is 60. Not sure we'll be doing a lot of climbing although we're both still capable. I seriously doubt there's room forward of the gates to let me move that rear couch forward. Won't actually know that until I get the boat here.

But some of our boating will be on the upper Niagara River... about 5 miles from Niagara Falls, which probably would not be a fun ride. So, my concern is making sure I have access to change tanks or work on a misbehaving motor while on the water. I don't think that's an unreasonable or paranoid thing. I think it's a common sense thing. But that's me.

What do YOU think? I'd really be interested in opinions.
Attachments
Landau_side_1200x900.jpg
Landau_side_1200x900.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

JLester273

Re: Question about new (to me) toon configuration

#2 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 am

Anything up river from Niagara falls I would have a backup motor for sure. You may think about a powerful trolling motor for up front to at least get you to shore. Then work on getting things running again. Also some good anchors might be in order.

As for hooking in to the gas. I suppose you could run the tanks under that back seat (with proper venting of course) that would at least allow you to swap tanks if you run dry.

If it were me I thing I would have rear supports added and hinge it to the back so you could flip it backward to access your motor and that way you could leave the gas and everything out there. Obviously this will cost a bit more but seems like it would be more functional. Looking at it however it kind of reminds me of a pop up camper bed. I'm wondering if it doesn't remove or something to give you access. Seems like a pretty poor design if not.

You sure you want to go near Niagara with an old 30 HP? I think If I got anywhere close I'd be scared. LOL
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

yardbird

#3 Post by yardbird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 am

The only way I can see to *possibly* hinge that sun deck would be to hinge it at the side. And then the existing strut support for it would need a total rethink.

We grew up not far from the river. Boating on the upper Niagara, you keep several things on board that you probably don't need elsewhere.
A tow rope, preferably one long enough to sling line with a second tow vessel.
An anchor on a line 3 times the depth of the deepest channels. The shipping channel is around 25 feet. But most of the river is under 15 feet and the area north of Grand Island where it starts getting faster is mostly less than 8 feet. Long line to Starboard front corner has the effect of pushing you toward shore. I've personally seen people throw a short line anchor in and get their boat sucked under. But that was up near the mouth of the river where Lake Erie pours into the river in a pinch area and the current there is pretty quick if you're on the US side. And they had it attached to the boat way too high. Most people navigating the river to lake either use the locks or go over to the Canadian side where the depth is better and the current more even with fewer rocks and less eddying. Sound like fun yet? :)

The bigger cruisers and such are twin screw, but the vast majority of pleasure craft on the river are single engine. If a flare goes up, you stop whatever you're doing and go. Which is why anyone with half a brain makes sure their flare kit isn't expired.

I'm still working on simple stuff like... what's my range on the tank that comes with the boat? If I do decide to go upriver to Buffalo for an event or something, what's my fuel burn going upriver (usually about a 5 mph current... depending where you are). It's less than 10 miles each way so I would think it's perfectly doable. Time-wise, it would depend on how long you have to wait to lock through. Commercial traffic gets priority, but it's really not that busy about 98% of the time. I think I need a marine radio to contact the Corps of Engineers if we want to lock through. I believe it can be done with signal lights or a horn, but certainly easier with the radio. We'll be on the Erie Canal so I would LOVE to plan some longer trips on the canal too, which means.... lots of locks. About an hour east of use we'd have to pass through the "flight of 5"... a series of 5 locks. So... a lot of slow cruising ("cocktail speed") and fishing in the canal can be good. Bass, trout, pike and panfish.

JLester273

#4 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm

What I meant by hinging the back would be to fabricate a frame back there. You'd have to have a frame welded to support the back of the deck, instead of those pipe supports that are back there now. (Those are like how they have pop up campers supported so that is why I mentioned it may already be removable.) Then with that frame built you could hinge it to the back. you'd need to figure out how to attach the front of course and need a support to hold it open (like a hood prop.)

It is doable and could be kind of cool if done right.
My rebuild thread.

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm

something like this
Attachments
Landau_side_1200x900.jpg
Landau_side_1200x900.jpg (208.35 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
My rebuild thread.

yardbird

#6 Post by yardbird » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Yeah, that could work. I looked at other Landau toons and noticed the parts where the pontoons extend aft of the fenced area.... on those other Landaus those extensions are fenced so you can access them from inside the boat. Between them was a padded deck where mine is the full width. Lotta re-engineering either way. For the immediate time... I may remove it. Something about having a boat I am not familiar with and not having ready access to fuel, motor, and battery. My wife won't get it... until I start teaching her to run it.

JLester273

#7 Post by JLester273 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 am

Better safe than sorry for sure. It is a cool looking boat. I'm sure once you get that part figured out you will have a ball on it.

I don't want to see you on the news being the first pontoon over the falls for sure. LOL :)
My rebuild thread.