Horse Power rating and weight of motor? Other questions too

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Retired OG

Horse Power rating and weight of motor? Other questions too

#1 Post by Retired OG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am

Reading the thread on cross member spacing in regards to increasing HP, it created more questions for me than answers...I have an old Kayot 24' that I stripped down to the bare frame a couple of months ago...when I had it down to the frame, I noticed that the cross member at the very rear was slightly bent down in the middle (probably because of the weight of the motor) and the third member was bent slightly upwards in the middle....what I did was swap their position....I also moved the rear member forward 4" and relocated the transom 8" forward of its original position.... the intent was to improve weight distribution a little bit. I realize it will probably make turning a little slower, but it shouldn't be too bad and doing so allowed me to put 2 more bolts in the transom mount/frame. I'm not really interested in speed 13-15 would be more than enough....what I'm wondering is how concerned should I be about weight, as a comparable hp motor in a 4 stroke configuration would be significantly heavier than my 1972 50 hp Evinrude...I still haven't gotten it in the water yet, but managed to start the engine a couple of times and make sure it shifts and runs. I'm on a very limited social security budget, so going out and buying a new motor isn't an option, but if a good deal comes along that I can manage to swing, I'd like to know what would be too big. Also, when stripping the boat down, I couldn't find any ID plate but from all I can tell from internet searches, it was originally rated for either a 50 or 65 hp motor....the hull number listed on the title is KAY312961172.... as a back up for when I finally take it out for a test run, (in a couple weeks) I mounted a good 15 hp kicker on the back of one of my "toons"

As things sit right now, I have replaced the wood and carpet and relocated what I could salvage from the old console, from the left hand side, to a center console position and added a donated stereo....currently, I'm trying to strip the fiberglass panels off the old rotten wood of the side panels, for re application to new wood...is there a better option for side panels? (Weight saver??) I still have what I think is the original hard top and need to try and salvage it with any modifications to the old rail panels.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

JLester273

Re: Horse Power rating and weight of motor? Other questions too

#2 Post by JLester273 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 am

I'd think you will be fine with that old 50. I have a 24 ft with a 75 hp 2 stroke on mine. I like it a lot. In fact I wouldn't want anything heavier. If the motor runs good I think you will be fine with it. Lots of old motors out there that are perfectly fine for a long time. Many old motors just get set aside and never really ran that much. So you never know you may have a great running motor there once you work out a few things.

Swapping the cross members was a good idea IMO. Years of being on there I'm sure took its toll. Moving it forward may not have been necessary though. But you can always move it back if you see issues with it. I suppose.

Mine will do 18-19 with 8 people so I am very pleased with that. It does sit pretty low in back regardless but I have 19 inch logs. And most newer ones have 25+ They still sit tail heavy of course.

As for fencing. If that is what your talking about. Most are just aluminum anymore. There are companies making them. but they are pretty expensive. Around 2500 from what I have seen for the whole setup. If you can reuse what you have it is best. Do you have a picture?

If it is just the siding (or skin) of the rail I have seen people use painted Aluminum flashing from Menards or Home Depot etc. The problem there may be it is pretty thin and may dent easily
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Retired OG

#3 Post by Retired OG » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 am

I'm pretty sure the engine will be OK...at least for a while because it has really good compression...one cylinder is at about 150 psi and the other about 152. But the new 4 strokes are quiet and easy on gas...plus ALL the parts needed to repair them when something takes a crap are available. I'm still a couple weeks away from putting it in the water for the first time and will probably be launching minus the fence. I suppose I can sit on the motor to get an idea of how it would sit with the added weight...I'll need to read up on posting pics.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

JLester273

#4 Post by JLester273 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 am

My 2 stroke isn't bad on noise. Once you have a fence and furniture between you and the motor I think you may be surprised how quite it is just cruising around. Unless I am at WOT you can pretty much hold a conversation if the wind isn't to bad. At WOT you hear it but the wind is worse.

As for fuel. You may see a difference with the new 4 strokes but not sure it would be worth the price difference....unless your motor dies and you need a replacement that is.

I used about 12 gallons of fuel if I remember right over a week at the lake with my 75. I have 2, 6 gallon tanks. I changed over when one was low. Then ran the other out as I loaded it up on the trailer to leave.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807