Toon Bunks

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

killerkernrich

Toon Bunks

#1 Post by killerkernrich » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I am getting all new carpeted Bunks and the boat shop said he uses regular 2x4 as treated don't last as long as plain???
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

JLester273

Re: Toon Bunks

#2 Post by JLester273 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 pm

I just got ones from Pontoonstuff.com They are yellow pine I believe. I know older pressure treated bunks had chemicals in them would attack the aluminum. So I know that isn't good to use. Not sure if the newer stuff is the same or what.

I don't know about lasting longer, that doesn't seem right, but any chance it will harm my toons I'll stay away. Bunks and guide ons are expendable compared to the toon logs. IMO
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

kryptonite

#3 Post by kryptonite » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm

DO NOT USE TREATED!!!!!!!!! It will pit the aluminum. I'm sure treated are fine on fiberglass boats, but some people do not know it will harm pontoons.

I just re-did my bunks. I used #1 yellow pine, but then at the last minute, I changed from carpet to a 1x4 pvc board on top of the 2x4. There's no more carpet to rip and stay soaked. I countersunk a bunch of stainless screws to attach the pvc board to the 2x4. I also ran a router to round the edges. Has worked great so far.

I think the pvc boards were a bit cheaper than using carpet. Also launches very similar to the carpet, maybe a little slicker, but not bad.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

[quote="kryptonite"]DO NOT USE TREATED!!!!!!!!! It will pit the aluminum. I'm sure treated are fine on fiberglass boats, but some people do not know it will harm pontoons.

I just re-did my bunks. I used #1 yellow pine, but then at the last minute, I changed from carpet to a 1x4 pvc board on top of the 2x4. There's no more carpet to rip and stay soaked. I countersunk a bunch of stainless screws to attach the pvc board to the 2x4. I also ran a router to round the edges. Has worked great so far.

I think the pvc boards were a bit cheaper than using carpet. Also launches very similar to the carpet, maybe a little slicker, but not bad.[/quote]

Treated wood attacks aluminum, and carpet will hold saltwater, which will cause corrosion, and eat clear through the aluminum.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 am

Plain o!d ye!low line bunks might last 25 years as they're dry when the boat is sitting on them. Replacement wood is very cheap. I use Lowes off th rack indoor outdoor carpet--2 linear feet of it held on by roofng nails.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

killerkernrich

#6 Post by killerkernrich » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am

[quote="Rick McC."][quote="kryptonite"]DO NOT USE TREATED!!!!!!!!! It will pit the aluminum. I'm sure treated are fine on fiberglass boats, but some people do not know it will harm pontoons.

I think the pvc boards were a bit cheaper than using carpet. Also launches very similar to the carpet, maybe a little slicker, but not bad.[/quote]

Treated wood attacks aluminum, and carpet will hold saltwater, which will cause corrosion, and eat clear through the aluminum.[/quote]
did you get the PVC boards at home depot?
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

decaboro

#7 Post by decaboro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 am

OK, I did use treated wood for my bunks. I used to use PT wood for my ski boat bunks w/ carpet over them and never had any issues so I just assumed to use for my pontoon rebuild.

My question is though that I covered the PT wood with 1/4" plastic and counter sunk the screws. There is no contact of the wood to the aluminum. I figure as well any water would be running over the wood and obviously dripping below.

Soooooo. What do you guys think? Am I safe? I hate to rip it all out and waste about $150+

I am including a pic. We are in a VERY dry climate so they will dry immediately
Attachments
new bunks.jpg
new bunks.jpg (563.57 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
1997 19' Ercoa

JLester273

#8 Post by JLester273 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 pm

I would think your fine. In fact even covered with carpet you lessen the chances of corrosion. Plastic in between your probably fine. just keep and eye on it.
My rebuild thread.

taylorjm

#9 Post by taylorjm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 pm

So, since pressure treated wood can't be in contact with aluminum, is there anything between the wood deck and the aluminum rails on the deck of the boat?

decaboro

#10 Post by decaboro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 pm

yeah I will JLester, thanks.
Not sure if the last question was to me but on my rebuild I just used marine grade plywood on the deck not PT.
1997 19' Ercoa

ROLAND

#11 Post by ROLAND » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:46 am

When I first read the comments on this thread I thought oh shxx... I have screwed up. a couple of months back I re-did the bunks on my trailer and I did use pressure treated wood. After seeing the comments on here about the chemical reaction between the chemicals in PT wood and aluminum I did some reading. Turns out ( or at least it is my understanding ) that most of the PT wood that is sold today is Pressure treated with a chemical called MCA - Micronized Copper Azole. And from what I've read it is safe to use with aluminum. However I don't want to risk ruining my toons.. I can't say for sure I bought MCA treated wood...so that's a concern. When I re did my bunks, instead of using carpet I used polymer plastic bunk glides. I don't know how thick they actually are but they seem pretty stout.. and they do provide a barrier between the wood bunks and my toons.. do you think my toons are safe? I'd like to think they are but I have no idea whether any chemicals can ease thru the polymer plastic over time. I would think not, but then again, I have very little knowledge in this area. Appreciate your thoughts guys.
Attachments
New polymere plastic bunk glides installed and ready to go    6-10-2017 (6).JPG
New polymere plastic bunk glides installed and ready to go 6-10-2017 (6).JPG (904.56 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

JLester273

#12 Post by JLester273 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 am

I'm sure many boats have sat on CCA treated bunks with carpet over then and did just fine. Plastic over them I think you will never have a problem. In fact if I were doing plastic I would probably lean toward PT bunks just for the added rot resistance since the plastic acts as a barrier and doesn't let the top dry as fast. Sure it drains out the bottom but I would bet you'd be surprised how much water is under that plastic.
My rebuild thread.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#13 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 am

[quote="taylorjm"]So, since pressure treated wood can't be in contact with aluminum, is there anything between the wood deck and the aluminum rails on the deck of the boat?[/quote]

wood decks on pontoons (original factory) are all marine grade plywood, never PT, some folks I'm sure used PT for rebuilds without knowing the effects of copper and aluminum in a wet environment, but the same would happen between the cross members and deck as happens to the toons sitting on wet carpet over PT 2 x 4s. I had first hand experience many years ago buying a used toon. there was this gray powdery substance on the carpeted bunks, didn't give it much attention until I was at the house one day and the water kept running off the bunks after taking it out of the water. after putting the boat on stands, we saw the entire keel area of both toons had hundreds of small pin holes and white powdery corrosion around them. No PT lumber on boat.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

JLester273

#14 Post by JLester273 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm

So I am wondering the difference between CCA treaded and pressure treated. CCA marine grade is the standard for pontoons. According to Pontoonstuff that does not corrode aluminum.

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/products/3 ... de-plywood

http://www.restorepontoon.com/articles/ ... lywood.asp

So normal pressure treated must not be what "pressure treated" wood is.

Yellow pine is, from what I read, the best for the bunks. It has more pitch maybe. That is just an observation on some I have used. It is somewhat heavier than other pines. So it doesn't soak up the water as bad.

I still think covered in plastic it is ok though.
My rebuild thread.

JLester273

#15 Post by JLester273 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm

As I read through this I believe it probably is the amount and formulation of the treatment that is used between big box store "pressure treated lumber" and Marine grade CCA plywood.

"CCA-treated plywood offers many specific advantages for restoring pontoon boats and for marine use in general. Other types of specially treated woods use compounds that destroy marine carpeting, rubber, and other metal hardware used on pontoon boats, but CCA-treated plywood uses more effective preservatives that do not react to these materials in adverse ways. CCA-treated wood is highly resistant to termites, algae, fungi and other forms of organic marine life. It is so resistant to organic life and the elements that it does not require the application of any additional wood treatments or coatings. Adding water repellent is unnecessary and redundant because CCA-treated wood is naturally water-resistant. CCA-treated wood is comparably strong for its weight. Indeed, it is so strong and resistant to the elements that most manufacturers offer lifetime warranties against warping and rotting."
My rebuild thread.