Got my boat home! Yay!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

taylorjm

Re: Got my boat home! Yay!

#31 Post by taylorjm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Wow, you sure had some registration issues. In Michigan, whenever I bought a trailer, I made sure to get a copy of the previous owners registration, because that lists the serial number, and the weight of the trailer. I also print off a bill of sale from the sec of state office, and fill it out for the trailer with the registration info, and have the previous owner sign that. Take that to the secretary of state, never had an issue with getting a new plate. I never had to notarize a title before either. Like you did, exchange money, person signs it over. Take it to the secretary of state, they file it and issue a new title with my name on it. My last two boats all took a total of 5 minutes. I guess it's different in every state.
Attachments
Capture8.JPG
Capture8.JPG (35.9 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

yardbird

#32 Post by yardbird » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

[quote="taylorjm"]Wow, you sure had some registration issues. In Michigan, whenever I bought a trailer, I made sure to get a copy of the previous owners registration, because that lists the serial number, and the weight of the trailer. I also print off a bill of sale from the sec of state office, and fill it out for the trailer with the registration info, and have the previous owner sign that. Take that to the secretary of state, never had an issue with getting a new plate. I never had to notarize a title before either. Like you did, exchange money, person signs it over. Take it to the secretary of state, they file it and issue a new title with my name on it. My last two boats all took a total of 5 minutes. I guess it's different in every state.[/quote]

Yeah, see.... the trailer paperwork got messed up some time before me or the guy I bought it from. In NYS the trailer registration shows the gross weight of the trailer. (full load)
The title... if it NEEDS one... shows the empty weight of just the trailer by itself. Somehow... both of those had the same weight. The GROSS weight. My current understanding is that if I have the trailer weighed on a certified scale (Motor Vehicle department here even told me where to find one nearby) AND... if the trailer weighs less than 1,000 pounds (which I expect is the case) then it doesn't even NEED a title. The registration is all that's needed.

So.... live and learn, I guess. I can straighten it out, but it's going to be a pain in the butt. Because NOW I have to wait for them to actually SEND me the trailer title before I can fix this. heheheh.... one thing after another.

JLester273

#33 Post by JLester273 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 pm

I think that is how it is in Ohio. Under a certain weight it is no title. Mine for my 24 foot boat weighed 600 lbs. So I think you should be good. Changing it may be a pain though
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

yardbird

#34 Post by yardbird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

Got the trailer weighed today.
820 pounds.

My guess was 800 because it's made for 18 to 22 foot boat AND because it's 1986 trailer and the metalwork just looked heavier than what's on the new trailers.

Now I have to wait for the title to come in before I can go back to DMV and get this all corrected. If it goes the way I *think* it's gonna go, they'll probably void the title as I don't think a trailer under 1000 pounds even GETS a title. And reprint the registration to say "Tranferrable" instead of "Non-Transferrable".

Fingers crossed, but now I have to wait for the title to actually arrive at my house. And yes, it's a pain in the butt.

JLester273

#35 Post by JLester273 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 am

One step closer that is good...

My trailer is on the light side IMO. So 820 doesn't surprise me.
My rebuild thread.

yardbird

#36 Post by yardbird » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:21 am

Done.
Trailer registration issues sorted. Title is gone (because under 1000 pounds does not require title in NY) and I now have a transferable registration, with trailer in the correct class.

I figure I have 6 weeks.... maybe 8 at the most, to get the bunks recovered, replace a couple of bunk boards, and get the trailer squared away for when we pull the boat out for the winter.

Funny that it cost me $1 to change the weight on the title that they subsequently negated and NOWHERE on the registration is the empty weight of the trailer. Gross weight is there, but not unladen weight. Just...weird.

JLester273

#37 Post by JLester273 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 pm

cool glad you got it sorted. I pretty much have given up trying to understand why the gov does certain things... :(
My rebuild thread.