New (to me) toon launched!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

New (to me) toon launched!

#1 Post by yardbird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am

Yep, it's in the water. The launch went well. Everything is a learning process still at this point. Backing between docks to launch was, well.... I just went slow. Wasn't a 5 minute launch. More like 10. But there was absolutely nobody else launching so I didn't feel rushed. We waited until about 10am to avoid the guys that go earlier to fish.

Half hour ride at "cocktail speed" on the canal to get to our slip. Beautiful day.

Then came the fun part.... me trying to get it into a slip. Took a couple tries. Back up.... reposition... try again. A little breeze was making things interesting and I am thankful there's no boat in the slip next to us. It was very humbling to say the least. My wife has never had a boat so she was basically clueless about what to do to help. I've learned, after 37 years, never to bark orders. But we do have to work together.

We had a quartering breeze from starboard, along with a slight current from starboard, wanting to push us away from the dock that we tie up to on our starboard side. Neither the breeze not the current amount to much on their own.

I know we need to practice, but any pointers would be welcome.
I could bring us in slowly to the end of the finger dock... and then we'd kinda just wanna slide past it sideways :)

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to place lines on the dock as we leave, that will make it easier for her to help when we return..... or... something.

Bamaman

Re: New (to me) toon launched!

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:55 am

When docking in a parking space and there's a crosswind, I drive into the wind and then turn into the docking space at the last second. Then hit neutral. If my forward speed's too fast and I'm going to ram the front of the boat, I throw it in reverse and hit the throttle. It stops promptly. You cannot be afraid of using the throttle on a pontoon.

If I'm docking on the side of a dock, I come in at a 45 degree angle, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left (or right) and put the engine into neutral. I'll often then spin the steering wheel the opposite direction as far as it'll go and throw it in reverse--bringing the rear of the boat parallel to the dock.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

What's hard is getting a boat on a trailer with a 15 mph 90 degree cross wind.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

NonHyphenAmerican

#3 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Here in Kansas, having a crosswind is a frequent issue when trying to get the boat back into the slip.

I use my bow mounted trolling motor as a "Bow Thruster" to help keep the lighter front end in line with the slip.

Another item I like having on my toon are bumpers in the front.

These work really well: https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-6rtev5ow ... 80.jpg?c=2

They're "Taylor Made" pontoon fenders.

I like having them on the front of the boat when docking as they absorb the bump going in.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

yardbird

#4 Post by yardbird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks. I'l give these suggestions a workout. I'm on a canal. Main dock runs parallel to shore just a few feet from shore. Finger docks then stick out into the canal. So... normally there are 2 "parking spots" between each pair of finger docks. In my case, the spot next to me is empty. And this late in the season is likely going to stay that way. Hopefully I can get better at this now while I have that empty spot next to me.

Hey, I learned how to fly....I oughta be able to figure this out. Hahah.

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Good deal... You'll get the hang of it shortly.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

ralph

#6 Post by ralph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 am

Best speed while docking is slow, slow, slow
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

yardbird

#7 Post by yardbird » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 am

[quote="ralph"]Best speed while docking is slow, slow, slow[/quote]

Yessir.... this part I know. :) You carry more power if fighting wind and current, but still going slow. I actually stopped and talked to another guy who has a slip here. He said the current is 2 mph. Approach against the current and he said you basically aim for the end of the dock, prepare to reverse if carrying too much speed, but as the current pushes your bow just about clear of the dock, give it some throttle and push in. "A few runs at it will give you the idea not only of the conditions here, but also how your boat handles, what's your best approach angle so at the last minute you go hard port and you'll be sliding gently up to that dock in no time."

Nice folks at this place.

SouthernKomfort

#8 Post by SouthernKomfort » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 am

Mount 5 ft PVC guide poles at the end of your trailer on the outside of your trailer and it will make trailering your boat much easier in any condition. Do not use the smaller guides that align your toons from the inside of your trailer. I use to have a bit of a time getting my tri toon on my trailer, with the poles installed, its easy.

Reiner

#9 Post by Reiner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am

Install a steering wheel spinner knop which helps to turn your engine real fast in tight spaces with one hand while your other is working the throttle forward and backwards.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steerin ... 8&oe=utf-8
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

yardbird

#10 Post by yardbird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am

[quote="SouthernKomfort"]Mount 5 ft PVC guide poles at the end of your trailer on the outside of your trailer and it will make trailering your boat much easier in any condition. Do not use the smaller guides that align your toons from the inside of your trailer. I use to have a bit of a time getting my tri toon on my trailer, with the poles installed, its easy.[/quote]

Yeah, I've been looking at that exact issue. Previous owner has 2 guides mounted inside (one on each side), but I noticed #1, they're too tall. The front strakes can whack them going on or off the trailer, and #2, they're like... pieces of metal pipe with PVC slid down over them. Not real forgiving as they are now. And just looked at my trailer. I'd have to weld up some kind of mounting bracket to put anything outboard of the toons. The outer bunk boards are about the widest parts of the trailer. I could see making something that sockets onto the ends of the cross pieces that hold the bunk boards and gets removed once the boat is on the trailer. Kinda like a hitch receiver with a pin.

Reiner

#11 Post by Reiner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 am

This is what I added to my trailer to make loading easier in windy conditions. Here is a link to an old post....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16962&hilit=Reiner&start=45
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

Rick McC.

#12 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 pm

[quote="Reiner"]Install a steering wheel spinner knop which helps to turn your engine real fast in tight spaces with one hand while your other is working the throttle forward and backwards.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steerin ... 8&oe=utf-8[/quote]

Yep.

I've put one on every boat I've owned that sidn't have hydraulic steering.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

JLester273

#13 Post by JLester273 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:50 am

The two posts is what was originally installed on mine. I got a set of the guides from PS. I made the mistake of mounting at the same spot and rearward of that. When I went to load the rearward ones did ok but were to far underwater. The ones in the original spot were to far down too and my toon ran on one and dented my pontoon as I pulled out. It was dark and windy so I couldn't tell it wasn't settled on the trailer.

PS sent me another set and I am going to add the one back in the spot of the broken on and then two farther forward. Then possibly a bunk along between them so I can't cross them in the wind.

I've also thought of outside guides that go on when loading and unloading. But my trailer is like yours Yardbird so I would have to make a piece that extends out past the bunks before coming up.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Gonefishing

#14 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am

Just take it slow and easy. It will all come in time and you soon will be an expert. Don't let anyone rush you. I use to worry about others waiting on me and would rush all it did was cause more problems. Now don't worry about it and it goes a lot smother.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

yardbird

#15 Post by yardbird » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:35 pm

[quote="Gonefishing"]Just take it slow and easy. It will all come in time and you soon will be an expert. Don't let anyone rush you. I use to worry about others waiting on me and would rush all it did was cause more problems. Now don't worry about it and it goes a lot smother.[/quote]

Yeah, I was out today for 3 hours or so with my wife and my son. Coming back to the dock I just told them, "I'm going to make one approach just to get a handle on the current and how the boat handles when we're really slow, then I'll back away and see how we do docking it."

I can see where the knob on the steering wheel would make things easier.
I learned that pontoons are like slugs when they're slow... hahah.

I don't have separate forward/reverse and throttle. Single lever. And to be honest, I'm still feeling out where it starts applying throttle and how much. It's only a 30 horse so it's not like I can power my way through a mistake. I just have to keep doing this. Today was MUCH better than the first time I had it out. That one approach to see how the boat moves in the current and get a feel for momentum really helped. Second approach I got it alongside the dock without rubbing. But ya still gotta be fast with a line or someone grabbing hold of the dock or the current just pushes you sideways away from it.

I do think I'm going to switch slips. The one next to me is empty and with that one the current will actually help me instead of having to fight it. Next year I'll ask to get the slip to my left. This year I can work on learning to control the boat! :)