Ordering new South Bay. Need advice.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Renegade

Ordering new South Bay. Need advice.

#1 Post by Renegade » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of ordering a South Bay 523 RS or 523 SL and trying to decide which performance package to go with. I plan on getting a 150hp (maybe a 175) 4 stroke.The 2.75 doesn't offer the in-floor storage but is quite a bit cheaper (roughly $4000 less) than the 3.0. That's in Canadian dollars. I wanted the 3.0 but not sure if it's worth the cash and also not impressed that for some reason, which baffles me, they didn't match the lid of the in-floor storage with the rest of the flooing :x I was also wondering if anybody that has the in-floor storage has issues with water getting in it?

teecro

Re: Ordering new South Bay. Need advice.

#2 Post by teecro » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 am

We have a Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with the 2.75 package and the 150 Yamaha... The floorplan and length of the 523 RS is all but identical to our boat except the RS is a bit more plush a little bit heavier too. With that being said if I could go back and opt for the 200 motor simply because no one ever says that they wish for a smaller motor, our's moves out to 33/34 mph with 2 adults on board and drops into the upper end of the 20's with 4 adults. As I've never owned any tritoon before I can't say if the $$$ is worth the full 3.0 or 3.0+ but I'm so very pleased the the 2.75 thus far. It rides great, it planes quickly and stays on plane well at reduced rpm with twin lifting strakes. I'm sure the 3.0 with 4 lifting strakes would add another measure of performance as well as the in-floor storage which would be great if you ski or fish. Is the locker big enough to store tubes or boards? That may be important to you if you do. To us is was not important. As to the seating arrangement my wife and I love it and like that all seating is the same and you can lounge or sit equally well from all locations...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

crookedlaker

#3 Post by crookedlaker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am

I can't help you with different performance options but when i bought my tritoon i also wanted the center tube storage,
my dealer told me that the problem with the center tube is that they always has water in them and what ever you put in them would be musty, There usually have a bilge pump in them to remove water but a little always remains. if you put jackets or towels in they they will be musty or moldy very soon, Of course he was trying to sell me a boat without the storage, but he did say he never orders them in his stock boats. good luck on your decision

Mike
2017 Harris Sunliner 200
Tri-toon P+ Package
2017 Mercury 150 4 stroke

2014 Harris Cruiser 200 Sold!!
2014 Mercury 90 four stroke (120 HP via Simon Motorsports) Sold!!

ron nh

#4 Post by ron nh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 pm

if you're talking about going from the 2.75 to 3.0 PKG I couldn't imagine paying $4000 more. I believe it's just strakes on the full center toon? You'd still have them on the inside of the outside toons. If you're talking about the 3.0+ I could understand that. But I think with a 150HP you'd be happy with the 2.75. If absolute performance is your goal get the 3.0+.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:58 pm

I have not looked at Berkshire online, but I assume you're talking about the price difference between the same boat with a full center toon (with strakes and center toon storage) vs. a 3/4 toon with strakes on the outer toons.
Is the $4,000 difference just in the hull difference?
Will going to a 200 hp from a 150 hp cost even more? Last time I looked, the F200 was about $2800 more than the F150 Yamaha.

My 24' Bennington has the 3/4 toon and a F150 Yamaha with a Reliance 15 pitch prop. I'm seeing 40 mph GPS @ 6000 rpm's, and I'm setup perfectly. If someone with a comparable boat is running only 34-35 mph, they may not be propped right or have the engine setup at the optimum height. 4 people is not a bad load for me, but we had 7 adults and 2 kids on there the other week and performance was a little lacking.

For someone with a budget, the F150 with the 3/4 hull is a good choice. Start adding the 200 hp, and you also need to add the power steering assist pump on the SeaStar hydraulic steering--another $3,000 installed.

This time of the year, I'd be looking for a dealer with a comparable boat in stock that's available to go to the lake. I just hate to see someone order a boat only to find it's not performing up to their expectations. Remember, there are many good brands of pontoon/tritoon boats on the retail market.

And I wouldn't hesitate to equip my boat with a G2 Evinrude 150 hp vs. a Yamaha 200 hp. It's got much more pulling power and performance at low and middle speeds than my F150 Yamaha. It'd be cheaper too.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

DWRAT

#6 Post by DWRAT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I personally would like the the full center toon with storage but I am happy with my 3/4 toon.
Both should have strakes and with a 150 you you should be close to 40mph with a Enertia 15X15 prop.
As for water in the center storage, it can get in if it's not sealed perfectly with the deck from the factory and that would need to be corrected under warranty.
2012 SouthBay 722CRO 115hp Merc 4-stroke. Edit, make that a 150hp Merc 4-stroke now.

Renegade

#7 Post by Renegade » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies! He emailed me the price quote: To go from the 2.75 to the 3.0 (full 3rd toon) is $1850US. To get in-floor storage add another $1700US (says I must get the 3.0 pkg to get in-floor storage). What you get in addition to the 2.75 pkg: "pad" running surface, power assist steering pump, sport ski bar, and bigger fuel tank (and the full 3rd tube with strakes). Tough call, I want the in-floor storage but not sure I want it $3500+ bad.

Bamaman

#8 Post by Bamaman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:12 pm

For $1850, it's a bargain. I was thinking the Seastar p/s pump was $2200 not installed. Sounds questionable. The price is right on all the other items with the center full length toon. But I don't need underfloor storage for the price quoted. There again, I have a 48 inch rear racing lounge bed with storage underneath.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Strake

#9 Post by Strake » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 am

Hi...... we have a 2015 Berkshire ( same family of boats made in the same factory) They are both Forrest Marine, a Warren Buffet company.

We factory ordered our 24 ft WITH the 3.0 performance package...... 3 full length toons for several reasons.

IN FLOOR storage....... GREAT, and a must have for me. All the swimming noodles, paddle, boat hook, bag with swim masks etc are all easily stored out of sight, and out of the way.

NEVER gotten any water into the infloor storage area.

Full Length Lifting Strakes. Better boat performance. Turning tighter, etc

The 3.0 package gave us a 52 gallon fuel tank, rather than a 27 gallon tank.

As for your thoughts on the vinyl hatch being a solid color and not matching the rest of the flooring, I solved that problem !!!! I contacted Berkshire and asked them to send me some of the gray teak vinyl flooring and I lined it up and glued it down with a marine sealant to the hatch....... trimmed it all out and it looks great. Has been on the boat for over 2 years. See pic attached.
Strakes toon floor.jpg
Strakes toon floor.jpg (367.53 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
IF you go anything over 150 hp, I would strongly suggest you get POWER STEERING. We chose a 200 Yamaha, which I'm thrilled with ( FB200) as it seemed to be the best performance, economy, etc for the buck. We did order our boat with power steering. I steer tight turns, docking, etc with one finger.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB

Renegade

#10 Post by Renegade » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. The storage door looks great! I don't know how they could let it out of the plant without it looking like that IMO. With the other flooring types it doesn't stick out so bad but on the teak vinyl it looks like someone puked on a nice floor. Lol.

teecro

#11 Post by teecro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm

[quote="Renegade"]Thanks for the advice. The storage door looks great! I don't know how they could let it out of the plant without it looking like that IMO. With the other flooring types it doesn't stick out so bad but on the teak vinyl it looks like someone puked on a nice floor. Lol.[/quote]

I have a black hulled runabout with a black liner/floor and the ski-locker door is WHITE so thank god for the gray snap-in carpet...

Had to laugh though as I just saw a white on white boat just like and it had a BLACK ski-locker door...

I think the factory workers are color blind!
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

captain28570

#12 Post by captain28570 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:39 pm

For all the extras you are getting I think its worth it. Depending on how far you ride or have access to fuel a 27 gallon tank with a 150 or 200 isn't going as far as you think. Bigger tank a huge plus. The in floor storage is great. Holds a ton of stuff. Power steering is a huge plus.

I have power steering on my boat with a 150 Evinrude. At WOT over 40 mph my 2 year old son can turn the boat hard over with no problems. Its so smooth. The added performance stuff is worth it for the price you are getting everything combined.
2017 22 Manitou Aurora LE SHP Tritoon Evinrude G2 HO 150

Strake

#13 Post by Strake » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 am

[quote="Renegade"]Thanks for the advice. The storage door looks great! I don't know how they could let it out of the plant without it looking like that IMO. With the other flooring types it doesn't stick out so bad but on the teak vinyl it looks like someone puked on a nice floor. Lol.[/quote]

The sad thing is, ALL of the manufacturers do the same thing...... beautiful flooring, and then the storage hatch door is a solid, puke color vinyl. Geeze, can't figure out why none of them step up and finish it out like it should be. I've seen it on Bennington's, and half dozen other brands.

By the way, having a 52 gallon fuel tank is a GREAT benefit. I don't have to bother fueling up nearly as often as I would otherwise. It was something I really wanted, and am glad I got.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

Strake

#14 Post by Strake » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:48 am

Renegade, so let us know what you order......

Don't forget to post pics when it comes in too.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

Renegade

#15 Post by Renegade » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 am

Will do! Now I'm on the fence between another South Bay or a Bennington. Going to look at a few Benny's this week. I've kind of taken a liking to the swingback models. I've owned a Benny before but went with a South Bay last time because of the bang for the buck but now they've seemed to go up in price to a point where it's a toss up. We'll see how it goes I guess.