General questions, lights, fuel separator

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

General questions, lights, fuel separator

#1 Post by yardbird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am

Kinda stripping the boat down more than I originally intended right now, but since the weather is cooperating....

Nav lights. I'm looking at my Nav light up front and thinking... "that wouldn't pass a coast guard inspection"...
Why? I'll post a pic in a sec, but look at it. It's smack in the middle at the very front of the deck. The light is supposed to be visible in an arc that extends aft a bit. Those side "wings" from the fence are blocking the lights even at 90 degrees from their location.

I'm certainly not going to chop off the fence. Should I be looking at side mount lights?

Fuel system:
Got new 4-stroke to replace the 2-stroke... and SOMEWHERE in reading the manual it said something about not using a portable metal fuel tank? I think it said something about leaks... and I'll have to read like... the entire manual again to find it, I'm sure. Anyone heard of this? Nissan 30hp 2-stroke is leaving... 40hp 4-stroke replacing it. The tank fitting is the same for both. This just sounded odd.

Fuel lines and separator - I got a new fuel line with bulb that came with the motor. Has motor fitting on one end and tank fitting on the other. They also include a fuel separator, but then don't include extra line or fittings other than 2 plugs for unused separator in/out.
Should I pull the tank fitting from the old metal tank and install it in the "out" port of the fuel separator or just buy new ones (I'd get 3 because I'm eventually adding a second tank). Or do I lop the end off this brand new fuel line and push it over a barbed fitting on the separator?
The tank fittings are only about $6.50 each. The female fitting that CONNECTS to that tank fitting is closer to $20 or $25 each.

My current think is...
male fitting (tank fitting) on the "out" from fuel separator
barbed fitting on the "in" of fuel separator
buy some new fuel line and the female (tank end) fitting

So...
TANK female - fuel line - barb (separator in) - (separator out) male - new fuel line and bulb with quick connects

And... the pic showing the nav lights...
Landau-front-sm.jpg
landau front
Landau-front-sm.jpg (247.43 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

guy48065

Re: General questions, lights, fuel separator

#2 Post by guy48065 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:52 am

That's definitely a violation. Just mount a pair of the standard teardrop R & G lights on the cast corner pieces.

It looks like there's enough room beside your docking lights. There are much smaller LED docking lights available & they don't need to be 50W driving lights that project a mile.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

yardbird

#3 Post by yardbird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

[quote="guy48065"]That's definitely a violation. Just mount a pair of the standard teardrop R & G lights on the cast corner pieces.

It looks like there's enough room beside your docking lights. There are much smaller LED docking lights available & they don't need to be 50W driving lights that project a mile.[/quote]

The docking lights came with the boat. I'm not married to them. I'm TRYING to do stuff slowly so I don't sticker shock the wife, but you know how it is when you get into stuff and go.... "that shouldn't be like that"

teecro

#4 Post by teecro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

You can find LED Red/Green Running Lights that are about the size of half a golf ball that are depending on model designed to fit either vertical or horizontal, mine are the vertical type and mount directly to the side fencing...

What you might have read concerning fuel tanks is that plastic is now the prefered material as partially filled metal containers can condense and collect water from the air space in the fuel tank, this can cause tanks to rust and leak as well as engine running problems.

As to a water separating filter your big concern is location for serviceability. The filter is all but hidden on my speedboat and replacing it requires the sacrifice of a live chicken. Before or after the primer bulb does not seem to matter, the Mercury has none and my Yamaha the bulb is closest to the motor; myself I would have thought primer close to the tank and filter after so you can force fuel through the filter when changing it...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

yardbird

#5 Post by yardbird » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 pm

[quote="teecro"]You can find LED Red/Green Running Lights that are about the size of half a golf ball that are depending on model designed to fit either vertical or horizontal, mine are the vertical type and mount directly to the side fencing...

What you might have read concerning fuel tanks is that plastic is now the prefered material as partially filled metal containers can condense and collect water from the air space in the fuel tank, this can cause tanks to rust and leak as well as engine running problems.

As to a water separating filter your big concern is location for serviceability. The filter is all but hidden on my speedboat and replacing it requires the sacrifice of a live chicken. Before or after the primer bulb does not seem to matter, the Mercury has none and my Yamaha the bulb is closest to the motor; myself I would have thought primer close to the tank and filter after so you can force fuel through the filter when changing it...[/quote]

If you have a pic of your nav lights, I'd be interested. I'm looking. The corner braces at the front of the deck are not very big. I'm also thinking about things like dock rash. Don't wanna have them acting like bumpers after I tie up and leave.

Bulb before... bulb after... I think there's always been 2 schools of thought on that. Easier to prime if your separator is empty when you have bulb before separator, but... bulb after gets cleaner gas so the valves in the bulb are happier. Both work. My dad always had his bulb after the separator so I sorta follow that. :)

teecro

#6 Post by teecro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6L4J1A?psc=1
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

Retired OG

#7 Post by Retired OG » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:46 pm

You said the fuel/water separator came with the motor??? Look and see if it's a spare for the one already on the motor...
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

yardbird

#8 Post by yardbird » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 am

[quote="Retired OG"]You said the fuel/water separator came with the motor??? Look and see if it's a spare for the one already on the motor...[/quote]

No, I know what you mean. The motor has a little one under the cowl. The separator I'm talking about is the bigger one with a canister almost the size of a small oil filter.

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am

Attachments
SAM_0991.JPG
SAM_0991.JPG (289.37 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0990.JPG (283.51 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

SPembleton

#10 Post by SPembleton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Your nav lights need to be visible from clear ahead to 120 degrees toward the stern. If you are going to replace them think about led lights. Sometimes the fixtures that come with led can be pricey, but companies like Mr LED have replacement less that can go into traditional housings at a reasonable cost. Look for the Coast Guard approves label as they also need to be visible for a certain distance.
Steve
2017 Sweetwater 235CB
Catalina 34 (sold)
50 ton Masters Ticket w/ sailing endorsement
Holland, Mi (Lake Michigan)
No salt, no sharks, no amoebas!

boocat

#11 Post by boocat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 am

Got my Racor 120 installed. Pretty easy and straight forward, we'll see how it goes. Should be WAY better than stock.