Transom rebuild questions. Nearing the end...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

Transom rebuild questions. Nearing the end...

#1 Post by yardbird » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 am

Did a fit-up today. Had to trim a bottom corner of the transom where the pod took a whack. Couldn't straighten the pod and was afraid to move too much metal or the transom wouldn't fit right. So... gotta re-epoxy that corner when I do the final epoxy coats. All the edges will have 5 coats of epoxy, but that corner will have 3 unless I end up with extra epoxy, in which case I'll mix up some tiny batches (like.... half a shot glass size).

Question:
Should I be trying to drill the motor mount holes now? Or do you set the motor, and drill the holes with the motor on there? ( is there even room to do that?)... or set the motor, clamp it in place, mark the holes, lift it off again and THEN drill the holes?

Are the mount holes standard or are they different for each brand of motor? Like...did they standardize on a bolt pattern?

After all this work I don't want to screw it up.

OH! Also... I've read that the epoxy should be protected further against UV. I could just go get some decent Spar varnish or... I have a coil of sheet metal that would normally be used to make trim for houses. Couldn't I just cut some of that to fit? It would certainly protect against UV. Not like it's needed for water tight as the epoxy is handling that (hopefully)

Bamaman

Re: Transom rebuild questions. Nearing the end...

#2 Post by Bamaman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

When mounting the motor, I would clamp it to the transom and just use the holes in the motor to drill through into the transom/engine pod. Then install the stainless steel bolts as you drill the holes.

Cannot help you on the epozy.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

illinoid

#3 Post by illinoid » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 pm

I found when I had the motor on the transom I could not drill the holes straight through so I started them, removed the motor and finished drilling them straight through. My plywood transom was about 1.5 inches thick.ĵ
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

yardbird

#4 Post by yardbird » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 am

[quote="illinoid"]I found when I had the motor on the transom I could not drill the holes straight through so I started them, removed the motor and finished drilling them straight through. My plywood transom was about 1.5 inches thick.ĵ[/quote]

Mine is 2 inches, but I drilled through that and the aluminum channel that holds it without difficulty. And went out and checked the motor and looks like a clear shot through the motor plate ... like... I can get my drill positioned without the motor itself being in the way. I think I have 1 more epoxy application to do, but today I'll go out and buy the new stainless bolts to put it back together. The old ones are actually bent at the head because the original holes were drilled all catty whumpus.

Oh... and probably not actually going to hang the motor until spring. Weather will start being a factor in the next 5 days or so, and... just not sure I want to take a brand new, never used motor and leave it outside all winter. Which is really odd because that's where it will be spending its winters after this. :)

TDJ2591

#5 Post by TDJ2591 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:51 am

Don't forget to put sealant around the bolt holes.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

yardbird

#6 Post by yardbird » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am

[quote="TDJ2591"]Don't forget to put sealant around the bolt holes.[/quote]

Yup... generous with the sealant and then clean up the mess. :)