So, in the interest of..

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

boocat

So, in the interest of..

#1 Post by boocat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Contributing to the off season life of the forum...I'll ask a question. I want to try and get as much gas out my tank as I can. Whats in the tank is getting old, I don't trust it. So I can just disconnect at the engine, clamp on an extension, stick it in a gas can and pump the bulb. Then it's gonna drain, yes,,no,, maybe??

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: So, in the interest of..

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:57 am

That would get most of it but not all of it, get all you can get of it and then put in some non-ethanol gas in it
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 am

ok,,getting "most" out was my goal, I know in practicality, I can't get it all, then I will just put in less gas from now on. The thing just doesn't burn much and has a huge tank. I don't have good pure gas options in my area. Wish I did. I have either an 86 octane for like $2.50 or a 96 octane for $4.50. Maybe now that I think about it, I could just bite the bullet on the $4.50 since it burns so little anyway. I know I can use a higher octane but how high is too high? No way I'm gonna burn the 86.

Iv'e already had some moisture issues but the Racor install put an end to that nonsense.

NonHyphenAmerican

#4 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I have a 12v electric fuel pump with a length of brake line for the suction side and fuel line on the discharge side.

I wired 25' of wiring to it so I can hook up to a vehicle battery a distance from where I'm pumping.

I use it to pump gas out of caddy's and have used it to drain fuel tanks, especially the one on the generator.

It leaves tablespoons or less of gas in any tank I've used it on.

When I've had my toon Winterized and Serviced for the year, I make sure the fuel tank is full and treated, figuring if I need it, I've got it for my generator.

If I were you, I'd fill your tank, making sure it's treated with your favorite treatment (Mine is Sta-Bil per the instructions and 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per 10 gallons. I've done this for decades with everything I own to minimize problems) and then once a season, pump it out into one of your vehicles, then refill.

You don't lose the gas that way, the only expense is your treatment and the cost of the pump.

Your Mileage May Vary on that, but it has worked for me.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 am

[quote="boocat"]Contributing to the off season life of the forum...I'll ask a question. I want to try and get as much gas out my tank as I can. Whats in the tank is getting old, I don't trust it. So I can just disconnect at the engine, clamp on an extension, stick it in a gas can and pump the bulb. Then it's gonna drain, yes,,no,, maybe??[/quote]

Hello Boocat... you may already know about the web site for locating ethanol free gas stations in your area, but just in case you don't... give this a try: www.pure-gas.org
once you get on the site, just click on your state, then start searching your city and surrounding areas. Hope this helps.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

boocat

#6 Post by boocat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 am

Yep, thanks for the replies. I do know about pure gas, just not many options here. Also, I think that if I fill the tank it would be in there for YEARS. I'm gonna give the "few gallons at a time" a try. I think I have the moisture issue addressed.

old jim

#7 Post by old jim » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:07 pm

I have had good luck with a jiggle syphon, and I will admit
the gas is usually going into the tank not out. Seriously
though a quick and clean way of transferring gasoline from one
tank to another. regards, old jim