How to keep pontoon seats looking brand new?????

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bg5

How to keep pontoon seats looking brand new?????

#1 Post by bg5 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Hey Gang,

Just purchased a new Coach 230RL. I want to know what I can do to keep the seats looking good. Do you wipe them down each time you come in off the lake? Is there any special cleaner I should buy? Any wipes out there I can purchase that wont damage the boat? I plan to always keep my boat covered but wanted to know what other things you all suggest to keep your boat seats looking great.

Sundancer

Re: How to keep pontoon seats looking brand new?????

#2 Post by Sundancer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 pm

I use 303 protectant. I do the seats entirely twice a year,then just a quick wipe down as needed. Keeps them looking shiny and new
Rad
1994 18' Sundancer 60 Mercury
2012 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost
from Lexington Mo
Hang out at Truman Lake

GOD,GUNS and GUTS is what keeps America free

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:21 pm

I alternate between 303 and starbrite. Wipe pretty much with something before every trip, part of my "day before make ready". Probably the biggest consideration is keep the sun off while not in use.

JEB

#4 Post by JEB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm

I wipe mine down completely with 303 aerospace protectant. I'm not sure if there's a difference between the regular 303 and the aerospace protectant. I do this every 3 months. Then a quick wipe down with a damp cloth every week during the season. My boat has stayed outside the last 2 years and the seats look the same as the day I took them out of the box.
JEB
NEW-2019 Barletta L25UC
2019 Mercury 300 4 Stroke
EZ Loader trailer.

1985 Starcraft SD240
New to me-1998 Johnson 150 carbureted
Traded in-1979 Johnson 140
Upgraded transom
Added cross members
Glen Rose, Texas

ron nh

#5 Post by ron nh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 am

I chase people around with Amazing by Bio Klean when were on the boat and use 303 protectant about once a month during the on season. I think they recommend every 6 weeks. especially with a new boat be careful with harsh cleaners, you'll ruin the protective UV and stain protection that are now built into the seats of all new boats. Don't use Magic eraser, It will strip the coating with the 1st use, I'd use it on older boats with stains everywhere but not new. Be careful with sun block....by the way, where the hell are the pictures? especially a newer brand that we never get to see up close.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

cbears

#6 Post by cbears » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

[quote="ron nh"]I chase people around with Amazing by Bio Klean when were on the boat and use 303 protectant about once a month during the on season. I think they recommend every 6 weeks. especially with a new boat be careful with harsh cleaners, you'll ruin the protective UV and stain protection that are now built into the seats of all new boats. Don't use Magic eraser, It will strip the coating with the 1st use, I'd use it on older boats with stains everywhere but not new. Be careful with sun block....by the way, where the hell are the pictures? especially a newer brand that we never get to see up close.[/quote]

I'm going to show my noob-ness here but what do you mean about sun block? Will it damage the seats? I have heard it can stain them but haven't had that problem in the past.
Grumpy Old Fart
2018 SunTracker Bass Buggy 18DLX on the way

jrolin1

#7 Post by jrolin1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am

Most important thing is to cover it when you are done using it.

Rick McC.

#8 Post by Rick McC. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 pm

I use 303 protectant, but the most important thing I’ve found is to keep the seats clean.

I wipe mine off either when the dew’s still on them, or use a spray bottle of water, several days per week.

Mine stays in the water, and the bugs that are drawn to my security light wind up stuck to the seats by the overnight dew. Anything like bugs, leaves, etc. makes food for the mildew to get started.

When I wash the boat, I also wash the seats with the boat soap.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Rick McC.

#9 Post by Rick McC. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:23 pm

[quote="cbears"][quote="ron nh"]I chase people around with Amazing by Bio Klean when were on the boat and use 303 protectant about once a month during the on season. I think they recommend every 6 weeks. especially with a new boat be careful with harsh cleaners, you'll ruin the protective UV and stain protection that are now built into the seats of all new boats. Don't use Magic eraser, It will strip the coating with the 1st use, I'd use it on older boats with stains everywhere but not new. Be careful with sun block....by the way, where the hell are the pictures? especially a newer brand that we never get to see up close.[/quote]

I'm going to show my noob-ness here but what do you mean about sun block? Will it damage the seats? I have heard it can stain them but haven't had that problem in the past.[/quote]

The sun block oils are food for mildew, and can discolor the seats over time.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

cbears

#10 Post by cbears » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:09 pm

[quote="Rick McC."][quote="cbears"][quote="ron nh"]I chase people around with Amazing by Bio Klean when were on the boat and use 303 protectant about once a month during the on season. I think they recommend every 6 weeks. especially with a new boat be careful with harsh cleaners, you'll ruin the protective UV and stain protection that are now built into the seats of all new boats. Don't use Magic eraser, It will strip the coating with the 1st use, I'd use it on older boats with stains everywhere but not new. Be careful with sun block....by the way, where the hell are the pictures? especially a newer brand that we never get to see up close.[/quote]

I'm going to show my noob-ness here but what do you mean about sun block? Will it damage the seats? I have heard it can stain them but haven't had that problem in the past.[/quote]

The sun block oils are food for mildew, and can discolor the seats over time.[/quote]

Very good to know, thank you.
Grumpy Old Fart
2018 SunTracker Bass Buggy 18DLX on the way

trucky

#11 Post by trucky » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

cbears wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm
I'm going to show my noob-ness here but what do you mean about sun block? Will it damage the seats? I have heard it can stain them but haven't had that problem in the past.
I've learned to ban aerosol suntan products aboard. The overspray gets everywhere and does leave orange stains.
07 Bentley 240 Cruise - 115 Mercury EFI Four Stroke

guy48065

#12 Post by guy48065 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 am

I haven't found anything that quickly removes mildew spots better than bleach or products containing bleach. I've also read many times to avoid bleach on boat seats because it weakens the stitching. (I guess it never occurred to the manufacturers to use bleach-proof thread)

Last year I bought & tried most of the "BEST" products recommended here over the years but all the products that had no bleach didn't work on mildew.

But I've never seen any mention of HOW nasty it is. Will my seats come apart in a year, 5 years, 20...?
I'm looking at this from a risk/benefit angle.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

bansil

#13 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm

I would bet a cheap 6 pack that UV kills more seat thread, especially older boats than bleach would if its rinsed out
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

rbtnt

#14 Post by rbtnt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 pm

I tried about everything without success that has been suggested for removing mildew. After fighting mildew for a couple of years I finally used bleach as the last resort. I didn't want to, but I am pretty sure the marina I bought my boat from had used it on the seats and the protection on the vinyl was already ruined, hence the reason why the seats mildew so easy.

I soaked individual sheets of paper towels in bleach, positioned them on the seats so none would get on the threads. Let it set for 10 - 15 minutes and remove. I kept water handy to rinse the threads in case the bleach leaked onto one. I also covered the floor with a large sheet of plastic to protect the carpet.

The threads are still good after 2 years and I wipe the seats with 303 every 2 - 3 weeks.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

Gonefishing

#15 Post by Gonefishing » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm

I did upholstery for years and also am a pontoon owner. My toon is 5 years old and the seats look like they did when purchased. This is my recommendations, 1. do,not use armor all on them. Armor all contains alcohol and alcohol will dry out the seats. 2. If left outside keep it covered Sun is not your friend when it comes to,your seats. 3. When you return from a day of relaxing on your toon wipe the seats down with clean fresh water. 4. This is just me some say it’s extreme but it’s what I do. After each trip I wipe my seats down with clean water and then a quick spray of 303 and wipe down. At least every two - three weeks I clean them with 303 cleaner and a good treating for 303 protective.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch