Ranger Reata and their powder coated toons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SoCalAngler

Ranger Reata and their powder coated toons

#1 Post by SoCalAngler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Hello--

Anyone own one or have info about them? They are powder coating the toons which looks pretty good, will HELP greatly with keeping toons looking fresh and clean looking and eliminate polishing and coating.

Thoughts on quality, construction, etc?

I know there Ranger boats are excellent.

Thanks!
2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty, XLT, V10, 4X2, Crew Cab, Short Bed...tow vehicle
2017 Alumacraft V16; 2017 Yamaha F25; 2017 Karavan Trailer
2011 Keystone Outback 250RS

JEB

Re: Ranger Reata and their powder coated toons

#2 Post by JEB » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard that if toons are not kept clean it can add drag and slow the boat down. Wouldn't a powder coating create drag as well. I was also thinking about ceramic coating mine but I can clean and put a whole bunch of polish on for the price of ceramic or powder coating for that matter.
JEB
NEW-2019 Barletta L25UC
2019 Mercury 300 4 Stroke
EZ Loader trailer.

1985 Starcraft SD240
New to me-1998 Johnson 150 carbureted
Traded in-1979 Johnson 140
Upgraded transom
Added cross members
Glen Rose, Texas

Jake_Daddy

#3 Post by Jake_Daddy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:08 am

I have been wondering about that as well with the powder coated toons. I also remember someone...somewhere...talking about doing a vinyl wrap on their toons, I wonder if that ever happened and how it turned out. I like the vinyl wrap option as I beach our toon a lot and could easily re wrap any damaged areas, you can add some paint to powder coat scratches but could never powder coat it again without lots of time and money. I can say our swim platform is powder coated and constantly in and out of saltwater and has held up will the last couple of years and it seems like the coating can take a rub against the dock pretty well too.

Unless stuff likes to grow on powder coat (more than aluminum) I don't see it adding any drag outside the extra couple of pounds it added vs. a plain toon. That does bring up an interesting question about damage resulting from biological critters on the powder coating which I don't have a good feel for. That would still only be a problem for those who stay in wet slips for long periods of time.
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

They negatively charge the toons and spray the powdered paint on the toons. The powder sucks to the metal like a magnet. Then the toons would go into a huge oven where the powdered paint melts. The finish comes out very smooth and it is more durable and harder than other paints.

I just know how any company could apply and cook powder coating on such a large basis. It is so time consuming
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Bryden24shp

#5 Post by Bryden24shp » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:49 am

[quote="Bamaman"]They negatively charge the toons and spray the powdered paint on the toons. The powder sucks to the metal like a magnet. Then the toons would go into a huge oven where the powdered paint melts. The finish comes out very smooth and it is more durable and harder than other paints.

I just know how any company could apply and cook powder coating on such a large basis. It is so time consuming[/quote]

And very expensive!
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:49 pm

I use a local powder coater and they are awesome...to do a couple toons would be $$$

If i ever do the 4 toon 10ft wide thing i have drawn up...Stacey said he would make me a good deal....no foam because of 400+ degree oven
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

guy48065

#7 Post by guy48065 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 am

Has anyone ever produced an anodized tube? I would think that would be better than any paint or coating for durability. For speed maybe not since it doesn't make the aluminum any smoother.

Anodizing would require large dip tanks but at least the process is cheap.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

bansil

#8 Post by bansil » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am

Shop 1/2 mile down the road has 40' tanks, largest in the SE, he built them to anodize flag poles

As long as they have a good UV sealer they would work great and not fade

guy48065

#9 Post by guy48065 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am

I think it would be cool to have toons color-matched to the trim or carpet. With anodizing it's permanent, tougher, and doesn't add any weight.
Mark
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

willy13

#10 Post by willy13 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 am

I would be worried about 400 deg pulling out some of the temper in the aluminum and making it softer. It would not be enough heat to take it down to T0 but it should be enough to take it down some. Over time the temper should come back somewhat with aging. On the other hand, pontoons may not need to be T52...

bansil

#11 Post by bansil » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm

just an FYI, if anodize is done correctly it is not conductive

We use a multi-meter (ohm's setting) to check quality of anodizing if it is sealed right, the part will not show anything ,like an open circuit

We got some bad parts back from a customer that had faded inside their facility

Jake_Daddy

#12 Post by Jake_Daddy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:30 am

I have though about the anodizing as well and the only trick I see to it, outside of having a big a$$ tank, is getting the toons dunked in the tank. While I am not super knowledgeable about the process I cant imagine you want the acid solution getting stuck inside the toons so you would probably want to keep the inside dry. Maybe I am wrong on this all together. I imagine that typically large parts are set in the tanks with a hoist and want to sink...you would have fun trying to sink a toon hanging by a chain! Maybe fill them with water before they are dunked? Again I could be totally wrong on the process but interesting to think about.

[quote]
I would be worried about 400 deg pulling out some of the temper in the aluminum and making it softer. It would not be enough heat to take it down to T0 but it should be enough to take it down some. Over time the temper should come back somewhat with aging. On the other hand, pontoons may not need to be T52...[/quote]

Willy, I have wondered about the temper in toons as well. Whatever temper they use is lost at all the welds anyway and maybe that doesnt matter, they would have to do a post weld heat treatment to get the temper back which would require a big oven and lots of time.
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

guy48065

#13 Post by guy48065 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 am

What needs 400 deg? I think the highest temp in anodizing is the boiling water final bath that "fixes" the color dip.
Does powdercoating require 400° bake?

Good point about the force needed to completely submerge a pontoon float--I never considered that.
Mark
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Soonertoon

#14 Post by Soonertoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:53 am

Ive been involved with Powder Coating for 25 years. Though a tremendously durable coating, powder is not "permanent" nor bulletproof, and is subject to somewhat the same maladies as paint though it is a more durable finish. Depending on the grade and type of powder applied, their will be varying degrees UV fade over the years. Typically you would be talking about something like a Kynar type AAMA grade 2605, 2606 grade powder. These powders have reduced UV fade rate over the mid to long term as compared to TGIC and 2603 grade powders.
Provided the toons are not scuffed and scratched , you should get many years out of the coating but again that's all dependent upon damage, abrasions, etc. The issue of coating damage is not easily solved. A typical repair would involve spray paint which doesn't match the gloss or sheen of powder. The successful application of powder is dependent upon several factors that all must work in concert. Wash system, line speed, cure temp all play a role. Etching of the base material that comes from the alkaline section of the wash process is critical to ensure proper adhesion and in powder coating, adhesion is everything. Correct line speed to cure temp must be correct as oven temps that are too high and a line speed that is too slow will result in over curing of the powder and low oven temps and fast line speed can result in under cured powder.
Correct mil. thickness of the powder applied in automated gun systems are also dependent upon line speed to be in correlation with the parts being coated. Mil thickness contributes to surface finish, smooth or orange peeled. Thicker base materials attract more powder as compared to thinner base materials.
Maintenance of powdered toons would be limited to washing and application of a type of wax more or less or a clear coat. Whether or not the coated pontoons have been clear coated over the top of the color coat would be a manufacturer question. Care must be taken not to scratch the coating gloss thru use of an overly aggressive scrub pad. Surface finish would not be difficult to maintain with some basic periodic care just as one would with.

Hope this info helps.

Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake