mounting a transducer, not conventionally

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bansil

mounting a transducer, not conventionally

#1 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:10 am

We are slow and like to cruise (we have a 90hp) everyone says mount transducer on rear of pontoon with the bracket there, which means it will be looking behind the boat in shallower water and subject to "dirty" water (lakes) so what is stopping me from mounting it in middle of the boat centered between pontoons?

I can make a mount like this, rear mount vertical and braced with diagonal to the top.....rear of boat I/ front of boat and even make the front upper pin out of delrin or uhmw to act as a break away in case I hit something (which if I do the lower unit would not like it)

I can still beach the front and transducer wouldn't hit

Came up with this idea over wine in the hot tub, and now bored at day job
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

OK Toon

Re: mounting a transducer, not conventionally

#2 Post by OK Toon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I used to always be concerned about the transducer being mounted at the back of my 22' long pontoon boat since it's showing me the depth of water that I've already gone over, not what I'm about to get into. But then I realized the lower unit is the only thing sticking below the 8-10" of the actual boat that is in the water. So having the transducer back closer to the lower unit let's me know what the lower unit is about to get into. That way if I see the depth getting really shallow, I know to raise the motor to get the lower unit up closer to the bottom of the boat (if it gets too shallow, the toons will hit ground before it gets back to the lower unit). I guess in ideal world, it would be great to have transducers at the bow and stern.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula