Yes or No to Buying a Pontoon Trailor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

2DOGS4me

Yes or No to Buying a Pontoon Trailor

#1 Post by 2DOGS4me » Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm

After gathering a lot of info, we are ready to order a 2018 Sun Tracker 20' Fishing Pontoon. My wife has knee problems, and we have two dogs. I love fishing and so a fishing pontoon boat seems like a wise choice. We are ordering the boat because my wife doesn't like the black colored one that is in stock.

The boat would be docked at the family cottage in northern Wisconsin. The pontoon will only be used on one lake. We have a caretaker that opens and closes the cottage. He also launches and takes out boats.
2 Questions
Would we need to buy a pontoon boat trailer?
Would you suggest indoor or outdoor storage in Wisconsin winters?

Thanks for your input--

2DOGS4me

Re: Yes or No to Buying a Pontoon Trailor

#2 Post by 2DOGS4me » Mon May 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Forgot to mention that the caretaker has a trailor that he could use to launch and take out the pontoon.

jediger

#3 Post by jediger » Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm

If your caretaker has a trailer, than immediate need isn't too likely. HOWEVER, not having a trailer makes you dependent on your single caretaker and he's really got you over a barrel. It also limits your resale value to either people on the same lake, or people who already own a trailer (unlikely).

If this is your forever boat, that's not a big deal. If it's a stepping stone, resale migt be important.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

I'd say no to a trailer!

I had a trailer with my previous boat. I paid $275/year for trailer storage in a lot near where I kept my boat. In two years, I pulled my boat out (using the trailer) 3 times for service.

When I bought my new pontoon last fall, I opted for no trailer. Dealer I bought it from (an hour from the lake) delivered it to the lake, and I keep it in a slip on a lift at the marina. I have it serviced at a marina nearby. Since it's new, service will be once a year. The servicing dealer charges me $100 to haul out my boat. So I don't pay the $275 storage any more, saving a net of $175 a year. If I keep my boat 10 years, that savings will almost pay for a trailer if I need to have one for a potential buyer.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 am

2dogs... hello. since your caretaker has a trailer he can use, do you need to buy one? No. But having one sure would give you alot of flexability if you wanted to visit another lake... or if you needed to take the boat in for service.. If money's not an issue then there's no harm in buying the trailer.... guess that really depends on if you might want to visit other nearby lakes... as for storeage... if possible keep it inside... I have a 20' fishing toon and have kept mine out of the weather year round and even though she's now 9 years old, you couldn't tell it by looking at her.. if you do store her outdoors, make sure you have her covered up well and use some poles for tenting to make sure water and snow will run off and not pool on top of your cover. Happy fishing...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Retired OG

#6 Post by Retired OG » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 am

I wouldn't even think of leaving a boat in the water in Wisconsin.....and I'd want to have a structurally sound cover for it....
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

queenswake

#7 Post by queenswake » Sat May 19, 2018 8:00 am

I like to have options. What if you have a family reunion or other event somewhere else where it would be nice to take the pontoon with? Maybe the place you get it serviced starts being really expensive or is really backed up for weeks and you out a boat for weeks during the peak summer weeks. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to move it to another marina to get the work done? If you have the room to store it, you might want to consider buying the trailer.

But remember, you can always by a trailer later from all sorts of places in your area that will have them in stock.

As for storage. If you can find an affordable place, I'd recommend storing it inside. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal to keep it outside as long as it's shrinkwrapped or properly covered. One of the problems with indoor storage is dealing with any mice so be sure to check that they have mice control in place. Definitely do not want your wiring all chewed up.