Electric Winch on trailer

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Electric Winch on trailer

#16 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

Guess I shouldn't travel to the north for boating, never heard the term "powerloading" we just call it driving onto the trailer, been the only way I've ever loaded my boats in 40 years of boating. Not sure how my prop wash can damage concrete, and my "prop wash" is traveling aft of the ramp area where no trailer should be unless someone drives it completely off the end of the ramp, then its a bad situation in any case. Must be a northern thing.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

bansil

#17 Post by bansil » Fri May 25, 2018 8:40 am

Inturdasting.....i always drive up and off my trailer, otherwise you are floating in limbo.

I saw a small boat, maybe 16 ft searay bowrider type, do the whole summerged trailer thing and when they pulled out ass end of boat swayed and it got messy quike. They saved it with help,no damage...but not pretty
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#18 Post by lakerunner » Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Prop wash doesn't hurt concrete but gravel, sand, whatever at end of the ramp. When Tenkiller was 20' down the ramp ends had holes and gravel mounds made by prop wash.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Rick McC.

#19 Post by Rick McC. » Sat May 26, 2018 8:25 pm

lakerunner wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm
Prop wash doesn't hurt concrete but gravel, sand, whatever at end of the ramp. When Tenkiller was 20' down the ramp ends had holes and gravel mounds made by prop wash.
Yep. It washes out the bottom material from underneath the end of the ramp, leads to a lot of ramp damage over time.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

rancherlee

#20 Post by rancherlee » Sun May 27, 2018 6:11 am

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am
Guess I shouldn't travel to the north for boating, never heard the term "powerloading" we just call it driving onto the trailer, been the only way I've ever loaded my boats in 40 years of boating. Not sure how my prop wash can damage concrete, and my "prop wash" is traveling aft of the ramp area where no trailer should be unless someone drives it completely off the end of the ramp, then its a bad situation in any case. Must be a northern thing.
Just about every ramp in Minnesota is either dirt or what I call "concrete link" which is roughly 8"x8" x 12'-20' foot wide concrete "logs" linked together with metal rings so there is a few inches of dirt between each log. Both types of landings are damaged easy by power loading. I've damaged a few props by backing into a mount of dirt a good 50+ feet behind were my pontoon floated free from the trailer, its to the point that if the water isn't clear enough to see I use a pole to push my pontoon away from the landing before even attempting to start the motor! Helped an older couple a few years ago get their pontoon trailer out of the lake because the 28' bunk trailer dropped the axles off the end of the Concrete link and the tires wouldn't pop back up, had to dive down and attach a pair of ratchet straps to the front of my pontoon to his trailer and lift it a foot or so it could get back up on the ramp. NOT a fun thing to do at a busy ramp with people lined up to use the ONE ramp......... and I seemed to be the only one willing to help the couple out!
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#21 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

Never knew such a thing, but I grew up in FL boating in the Gulf and Atlantic, sounds like they could do a better job of ramp construction actually, now falling off the end, I've seen that.. actually saw a guy strip the running gear off the trailer, he hit so hard trying to get the tires back up on the ramp, the repeated impact tore the leafs and axle right off the trailer. now you have some serious problems LOL!
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

BobL

#22 Post by BobL » Tue May 29, 2018 9:30 am

When they dropped our lake a couple of years ago, I was amazed that the damage at the end of the ramp. Here is a pretty good article (with graphic)....

https://marineboard.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -practice/
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury